Gransnet forums

Food

IBS

(8 Posts)
Newatthis Mon 19-Apr-21 10:01:33

I think I’ve got IBS. I have a lot of bloating, stomach cramps and a host of other things. Can anybody give advice on diet or what I should cut out of my diet.

vampirequeen Mon 19-Apr-21 10:13:37

Don't cut anything out of your diet without seeing your GP first. There are meds available. Also you need to ensure that other conditions with similar symptoms are discounted.

Nonogran Mon 19-Apr-21 10:18:01

Everyone's IBS is different & with respect, needs a different approach to resolve it. A Gyna' did once also tell me it can be hormone related/cyclical which resonated with me. Post menopause I stopped suffering!
In your shoes, if these symptoms are new to you, please see your GP to rule out anything else.
Some sufferers find high fibre helps, for others it makes matters worse.
IBS is most unpleasant so I hope you find a way forward which will be helpful for you. It could be a long haul though. Take care & try a hot water bottle on your belly and a lie down. That was helpful to me.

Purplepixie Mon 19-Apr-21 10:18:58

Please go along to see your GP. We are not medical people on here and everyone is different.

Newatthis Mon 19-Apr-21 13:11:12

Yes I will go to the docs but thank you for all you responses.

Reiss09 Wed 28-Apr-21 15:57:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Itsawelshthing Wed 05-May-21 22:35:26

I would go to your GP first. You can only be diagnosed with IBS once everything else has been ruled out. I hope your feel better soon x

teabagwoman Sat 15-May-21 11:05:28

I have IBS and have been greatly helped by the low FODMAP diet. Please see your GP first because there are other, potentially serious, conditions that produce the same symptoms. If IBS is confirmed ask for a referral to a dietician as the diet is quite complicated. It was developed by the Monash University in Australia and if you want to look it up I would suggest just sticking with their site to start with. There’s a lot of rubbish on the net about FODMAPS and it can get confusing. Good luck and I hope you soon have everything under control.