Gransnet forums

Food

Could you please recommend an 'alternative' milk for use in baking?

(65 Posts)
Candelle Sun 25-Apr-21 00:38:01

I will be making an afternoon tea (sounds grand but won't be!) for a group of friends, one of whom is lactose intolerant.

I would prefer to use my own recipes and substitute the milk within them (yes, they all have milk!) for an oat, soya or almond milk (or similar) but wonder which would be best for not altering the taste and texture too much.

I will probably make scones, chocolate, lemon, and ginger cakes (individual cakes, not a mixture of all three!).

Has anyone baked using these milks? If so, could you please recommend which would be best ?

Do you think they alter the flavour or texture of baking?

Many thanks.

JanetOFB Tue 27-Apr-21 11:05:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Moggycuddler Tue 27-Apr-21 11:05:09

Alpro soya milk (not the light version) is great for baking. Not any other brand.

lemsip Tue 27-Apr-21 11:07:36

JanetOFB not very nice.

runnerbean Tue 27-Apr-21 11:10:22

We use lactose free milk as a substitute for normal milk, no comments or complaints. We find we can eat buffalo mozzarella but not the cows version.

Gangstagranny69 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:10:45

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JanetOFB Tue 27-Apr-21 11:12:25

olliebeak Tue 27-Apr-21 11:25:28

Could you perhaps look for somewhere that supplies some 'ready-made Lactose Free Cakes'?

Some of the major supermarkets DO have a small range, but they usually taste 'factory made'.

This is one such firm - www.theheavenlycakecompany.co.uk/

but there are many more - depending on whereabouts you live grin.

schnackie Tue 27-Apr-21 11:39:49

I would just like to say Candelle that you are a kind and caring person to go to so much trouble for one guest with a extra dietary need! Most people would find an alternative for her and get on with normal baking!! grin

halfpint1 Tue 27-Apr-21 11:44:46

I don't use alot of milk and have bought Oat milk on a couple of occasions but find that it doesn't store very well in the fridge
and has 'blown' the next time I go to use it a few days later.
I'm going to try coconut milk next as that comes in smaller cartons. I have used Soya milk but find that it makes things taste 'bland' and 'dull' especially in sauces.

Jillsewing Tue 27-Apr-21 12:02:42

I use coconut it’s tastes great and gives baking a great texture

LynneH Tue 27-Apr-21 12:15:11

My husband is lactose intolerant, so I do this a lot. I prefer almond milk for baking, as it has the right texture, and the flavour enhances cakes. I find soya milk has a tang I don’t like. I would avoid hemp milk for the same reason. But it is a question of taste, and any will do

sandelf Tue 27-Apr-21 12:16:14

Your friend might find life easier if she had some lactase tablets. www.naturesbest.co.uk/probiotics-digestive-aids-fibre/super-strength-lactase-9000/?sku=705-60&src=GOPLA&gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2hYVZiKr2mvzA-Jy4wyqgGDf1j12ulspflc3epsPN7Lo-m21yrTK3RoCeNcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Tree71 Tue 27-Apr-21 12:41:33

Have you asked if your friend can tolerate ordinary milk in a cake?

I’m lactose intolerant and cannot eat any normal cheese, even ones that are very low in lactose, but I can tolerate ordinary milk in my tea and milk in a cake. It may be that there’s no issue to resolve at all. But if you need to use lactose free milk, then all the supermarkets sell lactose free cows milk, and you can use it in your own tea/on your cereal when you’ve done with it - you won’t taste the difference. Hubby can’t ?

And those lactase tablets/drops that were suggested are very difficult to get right. They didn’t work for me. I cope very well without.

Mildmanneredgran Tue 27-Apr-21 12:49:31

Hi there - I don't want to rain on your parade, and I'm sure you already know this, so forgive me - please don't use soya milk if any of your guests have/have had oestrogen-linked breast cancer. Soya milk has oestrogen in it.

Apart from that it all sounds lovely. Can I come?

Yorki Tue 27-Apr-21 13:03:07

Candelle ... there's always someone who throws a spanner into the works. Don't invite the awkward one. ?

ElderlyPerson Tue 27-Apr-21 13:29:53

Just a few notes if I may.

I do not do baking but I do use Alpro soya unsweetened a lot.

Though some people can be allergic to soya.

Do not go looking for packs labelled milk if it is not dairy as there are EU restrictions against using the word milk on non-dairy alternatives to milk. As far as I know, that still applies in the UK.

Have you considered baking using gluten-free flour?

Nobody has suggested rice-based alternative to milk. I have no idea whether it can be used in baking. Maybe that ticks all the boxes over avoiding allergens, I don't know.

I have not tried it all, maybe others here have, maybe it is no use for baking, but maybe worth a look.

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/25209811

ElderlyPerson Tue 27-Apr-21 13:31:23

Oops that should have been

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/252098117

Frizzywizzy Tue 27-Apr-21 13:42:08

Oat, cashew or almond milk for me. All will work a treat in your cakes and scones. Enjoy your tea

Riggie Tue 27-Apr-21 13:51:47

ElderlyPerson I tried rice milk for pancakes when ds was small because it was the inly ine that came in small cartons. It was fine when I made his but i put the rest if the batter aside for dh and I to have ours later and it was fermenting!! Never tried it again!!

Riggie Tue 27-Apr-21 13:55:54

halfpint1 oatmilk is very easy to make at home. A quick google will tell you how.

Amberone Tue 27-Apr-21 14:03:15

pen50

Please don't use coconut milk! I know it's only a small minority of us who don't like coconut, but we REALLY don't like it.

I've never heard of anyone not liking coconut milk before - to us it's actually bland and fairly tasteless. Certainly no taste of coconut. Unless you're thinking of the coconut milk in tins, rather than cartons, that comes with all the coconut cream as well ? That would certainly taste very coconutty, and I wouldn't use it for drinking or baking unless I really wanted a coconut flavour.

Seajaye Tue 27-Apr-21 14:19:14

Most packaged bread is milk free, just check ingredients.. I find soya milk the best to cook with, but it often curdles if added to very hot drinks especially coffee. If you are adding it to coffee warm it to a similar temperature first . I hope the afternoon tea goes well.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 27-Apr-21 14:32:04

I have no experience of baking with oat milk, soya milk or almond milk, so I would simply use water instead of milk.

But what about butter? Can your friend eat it?

Dinahmo Tue 27-Apr-21 14:34:14

When my accupuncturist suggested, many years ago, that I should stop eating dairy products in order to clear up the gunge in my lungs, she suggested that if I did that for 2 weeks, and if I really wanted to eat cheese I should eat that made with sheeps or goats milk. That pleased me because Roquefort was my favourite cheese at that time. I also developed a liking for sheep's milk yoghurt, especially the Greek variety.

Candelle Tue 27-Apr-21 15:22:12

A huge thank you to everyone who has contributed with helpful replies (but don't you just wonder what a deleted message said? I'd love to know! Could an alternative milk dialogue really infuriate?!

Schnackie, I won't say that I doing it with a completely good heart but it's one of those 'right thing to do' situations!

Tree71, you are right, I have not actually asked, however when eating out with her she checks menus beforehand and is very particular about what she is served so I think she probably... won't be able to tolerate normal dairy milk. I will double-check though!

Mildmanneredgran, you'll be very welcome. I had no idea about oestrogen in soya milk, so thank you for that tip. Of course, I can't vouch for the baking with an altered milk!

Yorki, invite sent. I am sure.... I will cope.

grandtanteJE65, good point about the butter but I had thought of that. I have several recipes where sunflower (sometimes rapeseed) oil is used instead. Surprisingly, the cakes turn out to be really moist and not at all oily but thanks for the warning.