Gransnet forums

Food

Could you please recommend an 'alternative' milk for use in baking?

(65 Posts)
Candelle Sun 25-Apr-21 00:38:01

I will be making an afternoon tea (sounds grand but won't be!) for a group of friends, one of whom is lactose intolerant.

I would prefer to use my own recipes and substitute the milk within them (yes, they all have milk!) for an oat, soya or almond milk (or similar) but wonder which would be best for not altering the taste and texture too much.

I will probably make scones, chocolate, lemon, and ginger cakes (individual cakes, not a mixture of all three!).

Has anyone baked using these milks? If so, could you please recommend which would be best ?

Do you think they alter the flavour or texture of baking?

Many thanks.

hugshelp Tue 27-Apr-21 17:06:26

I only use almond milk or coconut milk. As long as I shake the carton well I find they work in baking and sauces exactly as milk would.

hugshelp Tue 27-Apr-21 17:07:04

Oh, forgot to say I use koko coconut milk which really doesn't taste coconutty.

glammagran Tue 27-Apr-21 22:29:21

Peasblossom - food allergies are so strange. My youngest daughter is severely allergic to many nuts (and some drugs) and has always had an epipen to hand but for some unknown reason can tolerate almonds with no problem. Was very concerned her daughter would also have allergies but aged 2, seems to have none at all. Too soon to tell with son aged 1 week.

Hetty58 Tue 27-Apr-21 22:42:30

Candelle - why not just ask the lactose-intolerant friend? We can only guess how severe it is. I'm lactose intolerant, but (before I became vegan) I never had a problem with cakes!

Maybe you're in NZ - or somewhere it's Covid safe to cater for friends. We'd decline an invitation, right now - or take our own food, to be on the safe side!

Peasblossom Tue 27-Apr-21 23:15:33

glammagran an almond is actually a seed not a nut, technically known as a drupe. Lots of people with nut allergies can eat them and cashews too.

I manage to be allergic to most seeds as well?

muffinthemoo Tue 27-Apr-21 23:31:45

My baking is only fit to be used as munitions, but a friend is lactose intolerant and bakes often, and she swears by almond milk.

Candelle Wed 28-Apr-21 00:44:40

Hi Hetty58. Yes, I will ask if my friend is really lactose intolerant with regard to cakes. If she is not, I am not sure I dare give an update after all the kind replies I have had here! However, judging by her care when in restaurants, I think she probably is.

I am in the UK and we would normally be 'ladies wot lunch' but none of us want to eat inside a restaurant at the moment, for obvious reasons.

We can't reserve an outside table or visit somewhere we would have to wait for a table to become free, as some of us are a bit wobbly.

We are supposed to stay local and in any case, we are not allowed to car share (some of us don't drive any more), so I gave up and suggested tea and cakes in my garden. If a day or two before, the weather looks wet/freezing, I can cancel myself and rebook without worry!

Fingers crossed for a sunny May...

Thanks, muffinthemoo for the almond suggestion - so many answers now!

I love your baking described as 'munitions'; mine too on a bad day - I hope that the alternative/lactose-free milk doesn't make me emulate you!

Hetty58 Wed 28-Apr-21 01:09:38

Candelle, thanks, it's so nice to get a reply.

Somewhat (loosely) related, my little granddaughter had severe cow's milk protein allergy until she was four - and grew out of it. She knew she couldn't eat anything without checking with a family member first.

At a friend's birthday party, when offered cake, she automatically said 'I not allowed it!' - so sad.

Sometimes she still forgets and asks 'Am I allowed it?'

AlisonKF Wed 28-Apr-21 01:57:42

I thought at first that this was a question about us being urged to consume less meat and dairy products to save the world. Looks as though we will alll have to use veg, cheese, milk,cream in future.

Candelle Wed 28-Apr-21 18:13:41

Update for lovely Gransnetters: my friend is indeed intolerant of milk in anything and prefers lactose-free milk (who knew there was such a thing!) or at a push, soy milk.

Many thanks to everyone who gave their advice - all very helpful and kind of you to take the trouble to post.

Regards

Shelflife Thu 29-Apr-21 00:11:58

I am switching from dairy milk to other ' milks' Have been using almond milk , there are so many available! Can anyone tell me which I should use as a dairy substitute? ie which has the highest calcium in.

Glenco Thu 29-Apr-21 03:16:05

Being lactose intolerant I use lactose free milk (often found in the long life section) in everything and it is exactly the same as ordinary milk.

vegansrock Thu 29-Apr-21 07:15:33

shelflife commercially produced plant milks such as oat and almond are typically fortified with calcium and vitamins so they are equivalent to bovine juice. Read the carton to get the info. Oat milk is arguably the healthiest and most sustainable of all the alternatives in terms of water and land use.

JaneJudge Thu 29-Apr-21 07:35:38

why are there so many deleted posts on here grin

We use lactose free milk which tastes the same as milk imho and plant based spread instead of butter (so vitalite or similar but you can actually also buy lactose free spread but I find it is expensive)