Gransnet forums

Food

What is the best food you've had while travelling?

(106 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 16-May-21 23:08:28

I've had a variety of yummy food, while travelling. But the best has NEVER been in fancy restaurants, but always street food.

In Spain, handmade churros, piped by hand into hot oil at 7am, in a market for breakfast.

In New Mexico, tacos made on a street stall. 35 years later and I still crave them.

In China, noodles from a street stall, eaten outside, sitting on some grubby steps, watching the street hawkers sell their wares. Also scallion pancakes.

JackyB Thu 20-May-21 12:37:59

TerriBull

Many years ago, falafels encased in a flat bread from a street vendor in Israel, I'd never had them before, they were delicious.

For me, that was the worst I've ever had. To this day I shudder at the thought of falafel and hummus. The food was the only minus point of our time in Israel. The falafel we bought from a van on a street in Bethlehem.

GagaJo Thu 20-May-21 10:22:22

Just thought of another one. A smoothie, made to order, by a street vendor in Shanghai. Mango, peeled in front of me. Strawberries, hulled while I waited. Not so much blended as pulped. Mmmm. Healthy and delicious.

justwokeup Thu 20-May-21 09:55:17

Driving around the lochs in Scotland in the summer holidays, predictably cold and wet, the only food we could find was a baker's stall selling fresh bread and cabbage soup, of all things. Just a clear soup with a few added herbs. Who knew cabbage soup could be so delicious?

Esspee Thu 20-May-21 07:56:01

Doubles in Tobago. It’s a chick pea curry wrapped in two small Indian breads like fist sized parathas with a relish and hot pepper sauce which can blow your head off.
It’s our staple breakfast and the vendor says he is there every day except when he’s not!

TerriBull Thu 20-May-21 07:12:41

Many years ago, falafels encased in a flat bread from a street vendor in Israel, I'd never had them before, they were delicious.

JackyB Thu 20-May-21 06:57:45

Sago

Plaice and chips on Aldeburgh beach.

Those few words have really made me well up with homesickness.

My best meal on holiday was in an obscure village in Slovenia. I ordered lamb chops and they were so meaty and succulent. Here in Germany if I order lamb chops I get tiny little things, usually grilled to a frazzle, dry and chewy.

CanadianGran Thu 20-May-21 00:33:40

We still talk about a mixed salad we had in Bayeux that was so simple yet flavourful. Plus the bread and wine added to the enjoyment.

Oh, and conch ceviche in a little open-air restaurant in Caye Calker Belize. Golly, it was delish!

GrauntyHelen Thu 20-May-21 00:14:43

Scallops and langouistine straight off the boat and into the pan on Skye

skye7 Wed 19-May-21 21:34:03

Jian Bing chinese crepes at the Sunday market at DUMBO in Brooklyn ❤️

Ro60 Wed 19-May-21 20:50:23

Oh Yes Bijou fruit de la mer how could I forget!
Excuse me whilst I do a "When Harry (Not That one) met Sally"

Bijou Wed 19-May-21 20:40:03

Fresh seafood platter in Brittany so fresh the oysters were still alive and wonderful fish soup in Royan, France.

Florida12 Wed 19-May-21 20:38:50

Chicken Adobo in the Philippines

GrandmaRosie Wed 19-May-21 19:58:00

Anything that my daughter feeds me when I arrive at her house in Australia! Sadly not happening at the moment ?

catd Wed 19-May-21 19:37:35

Grilled sardines. Cooked on a portable grill in Lisbon. Yum. I can still taste them

4allweknow Wed 19-May-21 19:25:36

Home made baked beans with a steak burger in a little log cabin restaurant driving on rural roads to Calgary, Canada. On street food, DS lived in various places in Asia and when visiting warned never to eat street food. A lot of the equipment, ingredients are kept in houses where various other types of trades are carried out and food is notoriously contaminated eg embalming fluid. Never touched anything from a street vendor.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 19-May-21 19:04:33

It was on the Hawaiian island of Kauai when the Sheraton hotel had a Japanese night. I was introduced to tempura prawns and the prawns were the most delicious I have ever had and the tempura was the lightest. Prawns since then have never come anywhere near the flavour and freshness of that delicious experience.

Kim19 Wed 19-May-21 17:48:28

A meze on the beach in Cyprus

susieken Wed 19-May-21 17:19:11

Clam chowder at Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco, served in a round hollowed out bread bowl. Would love to go and have it again.

f77ms Wed 19-May-21 16:22:13

Piri piri chicken up in the mountains amongst the eucalyptus trees in Portugal. A tiny family run café, it was the best meal ever.

dogsmother Wed 19-May-21 15:21:49

Apart from all the Vietnamese food.
Coconut. A straw straight into a coconut, nothing quite like that either.

Ro60 Wed 19-May-21 15:01:23

Boulogne market - huge, juicy, sweet apricots the size of large peaches.
Sitges -Spain a fish mongers which had tables where you could sit & they would cook the fish & seafood for you - no cutlery just fish.

Dampers in Sri Lanka.
So many places - just the fresh fruits.
Israel massive water melons straight off the lorry selling them at the road-side.
Now you've got me started!

Nanna58 Wed 19-May-21 14:41:10

Fresh flatbreads , labneh ( soft cheese) and tomatoes as big as your head sitting on a rock overlooking the Treasury in Petra.

Harmonypuss Wed 19-May-21 14:27:56

I must firstly point out that my tastes are simple but quite difficult to accommodate because I have loads of allergies/intolerances, so I find eating anything I've not cooked myself difficult.

A few years ago I was in Portugal for a long weekend (out of season) on my own and whilst exploring fairly close to my hotel on the first night I found a tiny restaurant (seating for 10) that had braised steak on the menu.

After "interrogating" the owner about what he braised it with (no herbs or spice allowed in my food), refusing all vegetables other than peas and carrots and agreeing that buttered mashed potatoes would be good, followed by my first ever taste of tiramisu, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and spent the whole evening talking to the owner, his wife and the other 5 customers (1 English, 2 Portuguese and 2 French).

I have promised myself that if I ever go back to that part of Portugal again, I'll make a point of seeking out this place.

mrswoo Wed 19-May-21 14:26:31

Kipper in a roll near the carpark in Craster. Heavenly.

ann678tifney Wed 19-May-21 14:06:53

We were on a coach trip to Austrial and stopped at a services in Switzerland and had the lovelies bowl of spiced stew When we stopped there again on the way home, we had to have some again.