Gransnet forums

Food

Fear of Tofu!!

(67 Posts)
mrswoo Tue 01-Jun-21 15:25:50

I am not a veggie/vegan but DH and I like to eat a healthy diet. We eat a lot of meals which could be classified as "vegetarian" but the one thing we have never tried is tofu.
I would like to try it but honestly feel a bit daunted by it! I've read some recipes which seem a bit complicated and involve (unless I've completely misunderstood) squeezing it to dry it.
I'm also afraid that it may taste horrible and I just don't feel brave enough to find out

I would love to hear from any tofu-lovers ( or even tofu-haters) - all much needed advice and encouragement would be gratefully received.

Madgran77 Thu 03-Jun-21 06:59:33

Cauldron marinated tofu cubes are actually tasty and useful to use instead of chicken mixed into stirfrys or in a sauce one would usually put with chicken etc. That is the only way I use it , I don't bother with the plain stuff.

vegansrock Thu 03-Jun-21 07:26:45

Silken tofu is useful as a “scrambled egg” for a vegan breakfast - crumbled up and mixed with turmeric, pepper, spring onions or chives, lightly heated heated in pan, served on toast with mushrooms, tomatoes or mixed with vegan mayo into a sandwich. Or you can use it in sweet recipes such as carrot or “cheesecake”. i

JackyB Thu 03-Jun-21 08:25:58

A colleague made a quiche using silken tofu and brought it to work. You couldn't really taste the difference.

LadyGracie Thu 03-Jun-21 08:52:08

It’s disgusting!

Witzend Thu 03-Jun-21 12:19:00

I’ve only ever had it in some Japanese broth thing - made by a friend of my Singaporean SiL. I enjoyed it, but another SiL (Brit) told me she ‘couldn’t stand’ it. But then she doesn’t like rice or pasta either, so probably hardly typical.

I shall google some recipes and buy some next time I’m shopping - it’ll make a change. Luckily my dh never turns his nose up at anything!

Redhead56 Thu 03-Jun-21 12:40:22

You can buy smoked tofu but you only put it in to heat up because tofu breaks up if overcooked. There are lots of products available in supermarket chillers or freezers. Mince tofu and tofu balls for stews chilli etc. Also you could use Paneer which is lovely in a curry dish. Try different products some you will like some you might not. If you buy a pack of tofu it’s best getting firm as the soft version is best for dips or desserts. If I haven’t got any tofu in I use lentils beans or chickpeas as a substitute.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 12:55:40

I won't even try these new-fangled items of food at this late stage in life. Plain, uninteresting but tasty is my motto grin

annodomini Thu 03-Jun-21 14:19:34

I've seldom used tofu because I found that I'd have to use plenty of herbs and spices to make it interesting. The same could be said of Quorn which can be 'dressed up' to appear to be something it isn't. I managed to make it into a cottage pie, but it was too dry. Nothing I can't do better next time!

greenlady102 Thu 03-Jun-21 14:24:26

I dislike it but why fear it? If I am trying something new, I make sure that I have an alternative ready so if its awful I can just bin it and put it down to experience. Tofu falls into my "can eat to be polite" category but jackfruit is the pits!

mrswoo Thu 03-Jun-21 17:40:32

Thank you all for your suggestions/ recipes. I particularly like the idea of vegansrock’s recipe for crispy sesame tofu. I’m afraid that the thought of “scrambled egg” tofu is a definite no from me.

I must confess to liking the suggestions that advise never eating the stuff - but - I’ve decided to look into some recipes and give it a go. I will try anything once and if I don’t like it I shall put it down to experience.

BlueSky Thu 03-Jun-21 19:53:29

Yes Mrswoo you must try everything once. Twice if you like it! grin

JackyB Thu 03-Jun-21 20:20:46

EllanVannin

I won't even try these new-fangled items of food at this late stage in life. Plain, uninteresting but tasty is my motto grin

Actually, I also prefer plain meat-and-two-veg, even bland. (Although if tofu can be called anything, it's certainly bland!)

Anyway, it's definitely not new-fangled, it's been around for a good 2000 years. But that is probably what you meant with your grin smiley, so I'll take that comment with a pinch of salt ??

Chicklette Sat 05-Jun-21 10:39:14

I really like tofu. One of my favourite recipes is tofu and pasta Provençal. I marinate the tofu over with garlic, olive oil and basil. It’s delicious. You can also buy marinated tofu which I love in stir fries. The texture is very different to the usual tofu. Don’t be afraid of it, just keep trying different recipes.

Chicklette Sat 05-Jun-21 10:39:33

Oops! Overnight, not over!

tictacnana Sat 05-Jun-21 11:03:26

I’ve been vegetarian for nearly 30 years. I hate tofu and have tried it in different guises because I thought I should but really... I shouldn’t. It’s horrible.

Notright Sat 05-Jun-21 11:20:18

Nothing wrong with experimenting and if you don't like it don't eat it and don't buy it again. It's like any food you haven't tried before.

Candelle Sat 05-Jun-21 11:28:59

Love it!

Give it a quick squeeze (yes, really!) so excess water runs out.

Next, put it in a marinade or if pushed, into readymade marinade and leave for 30-60 minutes - it's not time critical.

Cook up a stir-fry and briefly fry the tofu for a couple of minutes, adding cashew nuts for a minute or two then noodles (cooked separately). Combine and serve. Really delicious, inexpensive (especially if making the stir-fry from ingredients lurking in the bottom of the 'fridge), quick and .... delicious.

Tofu also seems to keep forever - we often forget it's there and use it when out if date but haven't dropped dead yet.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 05-Jun-21 11:52:33

Not fussed on the texture of tofu myself. Very rubbery.
As a vegan it’s one of the foods I’ve tried and not been overly impressed with. In my mind it’s not worth all the effort of trying to make it taste nice... jackfruit is another no from me!

Kartush Sat 05-Jun-21 11:57:34

I love Tofu, i buy hard tofu, drain it chop it into cubes marinate it in hokien sauce then bake in the oven, its great to just eat as a snack or pop in salads. Also great in stir fries.

Hemgranot Sat 05-Jun-21 12:16:13

I’ve learned to like tofu over the two decades plus that I’ve been vegetarian. It really is best fried for me.
My favourite Chinese meal is salt and pepper tofu.

My husband puts firm tofu in the freezer, then drains off and squeezes out the liquid when it’s thawed out. Then fries it with lots of flavourings.

He sometimes buys the stuff that needs to be rehydrated. I could not cope with the texture of that although he likes it.

sluttygran Sat 05-Jun-21 12:42:25

My daughter is a VERY committed vegan, and she and her family are staying with me for a few weeks.
I'm afraid that tofu is mandatory, and I have grown to quite enjoy it.

Jillybird Sat 05-Jun-21 13:51:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuseta Sat 05-Jun-21 13:53:30

I buy the smoked tofu chunks and am having it in a stir fry tonight. DH has chicken in his and I swear mine is tastier. I also made some cashew cheese yesterday which turned out well. Just had a toasted sandswich with it and Richmonds new fake bacon. The cheese melted and it was delicious! I have been vegan for 2 years and I am really enjoying experimenting with all the different flavours!

Childofthe60s Sat 05-Jun-21 14:01:03

I'm veggie and my DD is vegan. I've tried using it several times and it just falls apart. I thought it was the pressing that was the problem, so tried it without and it still fell to tiny bits. The meals end up looking like they contain milk that's separated into little lumps. Waste of money for the tofu and the press.

Shirls52000 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:11:13

I m not vegetarian but I do like tofu in a stir fry, it’s lovely fried so that it’s a bit crispy on the outside but it does need a fair bit of flavouring.