Gransnet forums

Food

Fear of Tofu!!

(66 Posts)
mrswoo Tue 01-Jun-21 15:25:50

I am not a veggie/vegan but DH and I like to eat a healthy diet. We eat a lot of meals which could be classified as "vegetarian" but the one thing we have never tried is tofu.
I would like to try it but honestly feel a bit daunted by it! I've read some recipes which seem a bit complicated and involve (unless I've completely misunderstood) squeezing it to dry it.
I'm also afraid that it may taste horrible and I just don't feel brave enough to find out

I would love to hear from any tofu-lovers ( or even tofu-haters) - all much needed advice and encouragement would be gratefully received.

Sago Tue 01-Jun-21 16:45:18

Tofu and quinoa are just unnecessary..

Avoid.

AGAA4 Tue 01-Jun-21 16:49:05

Tofu is very bland so needs to be spiced up. I don't like the texture of it, myself.

Blossoming Tue 01-Jun-21 16:49:18

I love tofu tempura with a chilli dipping sauce. I’m not veggie, I just like a variety of foods.

ayse Tue 01-Jun-21 16:50:18

An acquired taste. It’s good in Thai food.

mumofmadboys Tue 01-Jun-21 16:51:05

I tried making veggie sausages which contained tofu, chestnut puree, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, herbs etc. They tasted bland - just not worth the effort!

timetogo2016 Tue 01-Jun-21 16:55:42

Save your money, seriously.

mrswoo Tue 01-Jun-21 17:19:59

Thanks for responding to my tofu dilemma.
Judging by the majority of responses I think I won't let tofu bother me further. In fact, if I'm honest, I'm quite relieved to find that I'm not missing out by not trying it.

Chardy Tue 01-Jun-21 17:24:31

Tofu is bland so it doesn't taste horrible. The texture is unusual - a bit like solid scrambled egg.
I really like it because it's different.

Shandy57 Tue 01-Jun-21 17:25:54

I have to recommend the new Richmond vegetarian sausages, they are lovely! Think I've got them again tonight!

LauraNorder Tue 01-Jun-21 17:31:04

Having read Sago’s menu on the Come Dine with Me thread, I’ll take her advice and ignore tofu altogether.

Marmight Tue 01-Jun-21 17:31:05

My DDs dog is called Tofu. Can’t stand the (non)edible stuff. Tasteless rubber covers it. Not so keen on the naughty dog either ?

BlueBelle Tue 01-Jun-21 17:36:59

I like tofu especially the smoked one It has no flavour of its own so takes on whatever flavour you are cooking with
Please don’t dismiss it it is very good for you

* Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is also a valuable plant source of iron and calcium and the minerals manganese and phosphorous. In addition to this, it also contains magnesium, copper, zinc and vitamin B1*

vegansrock Tue 01-Jun-21 17:49:49

www.mobkitchen.co.uk/recipes/crispy-sesame-tofu-with-sticky-sauce

Crispy sesame tofu with sticky sauce and rice is a big favourite even with tofu hating OH, It’s very easy to make - you marinade cubes in garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil , then roll in flour and fry till crispy. It’s worth a try.

SueDonim Tue 01-Jun-21 18:23:17

Soya doesn’t agree with me, as I’ve discovered from my adventures with tofu and soya milk. ? Tofu is about texture rather than taste. If it needs frying, I wouldn’t eat it either

vegansrock Tue 01-Jun-21 19:09:04

You can bake it in the oven as well.

Jaxjacky Tue 01-Jun-21 19:18:18

I’m afraid I don’t like it, I had a week in Japan on business some years ago, so was obliged to eat it in various guises, first time in my life I was pleased to pay McDonald’s money in Tokyo.

grannysyb Tue 01-Jun-21 19:21:12

Horrible stuff, can't bear it!

fairfraise Tue 01-Jun-21 19:29:54

I had it once. Never again!

JackyB Tue 01-Jun-21 19:41:15

I first tried it when I went on an alternative cookery course back in the 1980s. Hadn't eaten it for years because I didn't like it, but I tried a recipe the other day and it was a success. I'll see if I can find it.

Of course, the world won't stop turning if you never try it, but it does introduce a little variety into your repertoire.

JackyB Tue 01-Jun-21 19:50:20

Here's the recipe :

Chop green vegetables (mangetout, pak choi, cabbage, celery) into strips for cooking in the wok.

In hot oil in wok (or pan) fry cubes of tofu with grated fresh ginger and chopped garlic. Season with soy sauce, chili powder, curry powder and remove from pan.

Fry veg and add tofu back in towards the end of cooking time.

Serve with rice.

We don't eat very spicy food and this turned out perfect as I adjusted the seasonings to our taste.

BlueSky Wed 02-Jun-21 11:06:54

Love it especially as it is, add it to any food and eat it as it is instead of cheese! But I’m a strict veggie so my DH agrees with most on here!

Jillyjosie Wed 02-Jun-21 13:46:44

There are different sorts, silken tofu comes in tetra packs and is slimy which I don't like. Firm tofu is fine and if frozen, changes its texture and becomes chewy which is nice.

Tofu doesn't taste of anything unless it's smoked. It therefore takes on the taste of whatever it's cooked with - soy sauce, garlic, herbs, chilli etc. It's high in protein and calcium, low in calories so very good for you.

It can be mashed or cubed or included in pies. Very versatile.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 03-Jun-21 06:05:15

GD cooked some for herself and her brother last night, dipped in egg and flour, then pan lo, added a packet of some spicy stuff , lightly fried in sesame oil and served with rice, she had a packet of some Japanese sauce that she drizzled over the top.
I threw the packets away so can’t tell you what they were.
All vegetarian. They love it.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 03-Jun-21 06:05:33

Not pan lo, Panko