Gransnet forums

Food

Fasolakia - Greek green bean stew (vegan)

(5 Posts)
Happiyogi Thu 15-Jul-21 13:43:46

Witzend,

I just wanted to thank you for your original post. I found a good recipe online, including your parsley suggestion, and have been making and enjoying it often. Very often!

I read that it’s also good made with cauli in winter, so I plan to be enjoying this all year round! Thanks for sharing.

Witzend Wed 09-Jun-21 21:18:21

Yes, Happiyogi, it’s very nice the day after.
The recipe I use includes lots of parsley, which IMO is more authentic than those that don’t.

Happiyogi Tue 08-Jun-21 15:32:44

Witzend thank you for sharing this idea. It’s exactly the kind of meal I love in summer - and what the green beans in the freezer have been waiting for!

Do you think it’s one of those dishes that taste even better the next day when the flavours have deepened?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 08-Jun-21 11:34:41

I love Middle Eastern veggie dishes.

One of my other favourites is Locanta stew. Dead easy and so tasty.

Witzend Tue 08-Jun-21 11:32:47

We’ve enjoyed this at a favourite beach taverna in Greece, always in September when I dare say they had plenty of beans to use up, and I’ve made it when I once had beans in the garden that were past their best.

However it only dawned on me the other day that I could use frozen French beans, so made a big potful to take to dd’s the other day (they’re veggie) with plenty of nice bread for mopping up the juices.

I did add some cubes of fried halloumi on the side, but otherwise it’s vegan - I thought any vegans here might like it - it’s very easy and there are plenty of recipes online.