Gransnet forums

Food

What is the correct way to eat croissants?

(120 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 12-Jun-21 20:24:43

Our Sunday morning treat is to have croissants for breakfast and pretend we are back on holiday on Isle de Re. But I often wonder if we eat them the correct way. I know some of you live in France so can you enlighten me and tell me how you eat your croissants.

welbeck Sun 13-Jun-21 01:41:39

taking by the tip, fling up in the air, and catch in the mouth like a seal.
if you have company you can do it across the dining table.
otherwise, fling and catch yourself; good for neck muscles.

Rufus2 Sun 13-Jun-21 01:53:53

0pen mouth, insert croissant
greenlady102 Wrong! hmm
Open mouth, insert teeth, insert croissant! grin

Peff68 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:51:39

greenlady102

open mouth, insert croissant smile

???

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Jun-21 12:19:34

muse I like them with brie too.
It goes all soft...mmm...
Mind you, I like pretty much everything with brie!

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Jun-21 12:53:48

Urms these were farmers/truck drivers having breakfast, yes I know! We were sipping a Grand Crème.

Kali2 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:56:33

The correct way is the way you enjoy them, surely?

However, it is very British to use butter and jam on them. Just enjoy them (occasionally)

Granny23 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:06:04

My favourite? Tear open croissant, insert half a banana, squash. eat.

nanna8 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:18:58

I like Costco croissants, nice and buttery. Most of their cakes and pastries are too sweet but they have croissants and bagels right. Always warm in the oven first and I like raspberry jam with them. Rip them into pieces, yum.

Rufus2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:10:43

Mind you, I like pretty much everything with brie
Fanny C Shouldn't that be "brief"? grin
After all, the bikini season is almost upon you and you need to retain your lithe appearance! smile
Btw; Where have all the Night Owls gone?

Callistemon Sun 13-Jun-21 14:14:01

Apricot jam, apricot jam, apricot jam, apricot jam, apricot jam, apricot jam, apricot jam .........

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Jun-21 14:21:25

Rufus2

^Mind you, I like pretty much everything with brie^
Fanny C Shouldn't that be "brief"? grin
After all, the bikini season is almost upon you and you need to retain your lithe appearance! smile
Btw; Where have all the Night Owls gone?

You tease Rufus!
I've been sleeping much better recently, and I think that the thread sometimes depends upon me giving it a 'bump' into the active list.
I'll try to revive it tonight if I'm about.
You are more than welcome to do the same! ?
I will

HurdyGurdy Sun 13-Jun-21 14:32:18

welbeck

taking by the tip, fling up in the air, and catch in the mouth like a seal.
if you have company you can do it across the dining table.
otherwise, fling and catch yourself; good for neck muscles.

wellbeck - that is too funny grin

I just eat them as they come out of the bakery - nothing added, and definitely not dunked!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:35:20

Warm

Cherrytree59 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:12:04

Shhh ? Lizabethann
I have been trying to keep the lovely Isle de re a secret?

Have you read Sea of memories by Fiona Valpy ?

As for croissants, I like to munch mine sitting by the wee harbour with a lovely fresh squeezed orange juice, just watching the boats and the world go by.

Nightsky2 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:17:03

Pull a piece off and have with a little butter and jam, yum. Warm of course. You will definitely need a napkin as they are a bit messy.

3nanny6 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:26:18

I used to have french students and would do them a continental breakfast. Most of the students dunked their croissants into their coffee.
I just warm mine put some strawberry jam at the side of the plate and tear pieces off and dip in strawberry jam.

Kamiso Sun 13-Jun-21 15:27:52

I used to eat them with unsalted butter.

Last few years OH goes to Lidl’s as soon as they open on Sunday morning and buys one or two croissants each from the bakery. No need to add butter. I dunk mine in coffee with hot milk. Delicious but can be messy with all the flaky bits.

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:30:26

10 mins in the oven, slice them open, Bon Maman Berries & Cherries jam (no butter).
Bootiful!

mokryna Sun 13-Jun-21 16:29:10

Grandmafrench

I think, as for so many things, you can please yourself. But for practical purposes :

The French normally only eat 1, as a treat and not every day - especially if they're weight conscious.
A proper flaky croissant from a good bakery will contain 45% weight of butter, so the French don't add butter.
(As with bread, they don't put butter on the table, but it's almost a criminal offence to serve a meal without bread!)
Croissants just need to be very slightly warm to release the buttery smell.
Eating a croissant without making loads of mess with greasy flakes, it's usual to tear off a portion that you can put straight into your mouth, having first put jam on it if that's a choice.
Of course people will still dunk - the same with bread - but you don't see that so often now. The little bowls for coffee or chocolat - which make dunking easier - are more often used at home for a family breakfast.

And to be really French no plates.

Blondiescot Sun 13-Jun-21 18:11:39

I'm a savoury croissant person too - some wafer thin ham and a little cheese, usually, although I have been known to have Marmite and cheese on them too. I'm not a fan of sweet stuff on bread of any kind, including toast.

Witzend Sun 13-Jun-21 20:04:38

Pulled apart, no butter, they’re fatty enough anyway. Just nice jam. Preferably black currant or black cherry.
Not saying that’s ‘correct’, just the way I like them.

Witzend Sun 13-Jun-21 20:26:06

NotSpaghetti, I did a 3 week French exchange visit at 14. The mother had a big bowl (not cup) of milky tea every morning, and would dunk her bread and butter tartine in it.

I was surprised anyway that it was tea - I’d thought the French mostly drank coffee - and the globules of melted butter floating on her tea made me feel faintly ill!

Callistemon Sun 13-Jun-21 20:27:25

Witzend

Pulled apart, no butter, they’re fatty enough anyway. Just nice jam. Preferably black currant or black cherry.
Not saying that’s ‘correct’, just the way I like them.

I'll allow black cherry jam, Witzend
?

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Jun-21 20:27:58

Bitter marmalade, no butter. No Cognac or Armagnac!

Moggycuddler Mon 14-Jun-21 11:12:07

Any way you like! I don't eat them but my daughter does. She warms them and then just gets stuck in.