Gransnet forums

Food

What is the correct way to eat croissants?

(120 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 12-Jun-21 20:24:43

Our Sunday morning treat is to have croissants for breakfast and pretend we are back on holiday on Isle de Re. But I often wonder if we eat them the correct way. I know some of you live in France so can you enlighten me and tell me how you eat your croissants.

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 20:06:57

They seize all your croissants unless you volunteer to attend the Croissant Eating Academy!
That's how I know the proper way to eat them.
My Mamie de France was the Principal of the Croissant Making, Baking and Eating Academy.

She gave me a cookery book (which I have never used)

Kalu Tue 15-Jun-21 00:45:06

Meant to add, the Waitrose, frozen, ready to bake croissants. Warm, flaky authentic croissant.

Savvy Tue 15-Jun-21 02:23:53

Somewhere I used to work, years ago, had a restaurant who used to fill them with cheese and mushrooms and bake them.

They were delicious!

Ellianne Tue 15-Jun-21 07:22:26

Kalu

Meant to add, the Waitrose, frozen, ready to bake croissants. Warm, flaky authentic croissant.

Interesting.
What about M & S ones anyone? I think they are good.

Lucca Tue 15-Jun-21 08:03:17

The correct way to eat croissants is…..it go to France

Ellianne Tue 15-Jun-21 08:05:41

If only Lucca.

Dryginger Tue 15-Jun-21 08:23:35

I remember watching chocalat the film and the mayor was given french bread butter and apricot jam no croissants though but looked delish. Croissants are lovely warm but are very messygrin or perhaps im just a messy croissant eater.

123kitty Tue 15-Jun-21 08:24:13

Only eaten before work in a cafe with coffee. Break a croissant in half and share with your friend, to be eaten in tiniest imaginable pieces, no butter but jam's ok. Take your time- try to finish last (honestly). Enjoy every mouth full as you won't be eating again till lunchtime - no snacks between meals in Paris.

Elizabeth1 Tue 15-Jun-21 08:33:15

I love apricot jam and take it on my morning toast.

If I’m having croissants I prefer them to be warm with lashings of butter. But little bits at a time

I break a piece off then apply the butter

I don’t like the butter to be all melted in either on my toast or on my croissant.

Then I feel sorry for myself because I start to think of the fat content of which there is much shock

Lucca Tue 15-Jun-21 09:13:52

Ellianne

If only Lucca.

Indeed.
I have never ever had a croissant anywhere other than France which tasted as good as the average croissant from any old bakery in France!
Where I live there is a very well known cafe and bakery/cake shop about which people rave but I always think you can find better patisseries in most town s in France.
Please don’t call me unpatriotic anybody…..

nanna8 Tue 15-Jun-21 12:59:35

The Vietnamese bakeries have them here . Probably became popular when the French lived there. They are very light and buttery. My husband likes apricot jam but I find it a bit sweet for my taste. Ham and cheese croissants are popular here for lunch and usually cheap,too, with a coffee.

Kalu Tue 15-Jun-21 13:10:41

Lucca

Ellianne

If only Lucca.

Indeed.
I have never ever had a croissant anywhere other than France which tasted as good as the average croissant from any old bakery in France!
Where I live there is a very well known cafe and bakery/cake shop about which people rave but I always think you can find better patisseries in most town s in France.

Having lived in France, I can promise you a taste of the real thing found in Waitrose ready to bake. I wouldn’t buy them if they were not up to my rigid testing search. . I am doing a hard sell for good reason. ?

HappyBumbleBee Tue 15-Jun-21 13:13:33

greenlady102

open mouth, insert croissant smile

This - shove it in there grin

Smurf52 Tue 22-Jun-21 02:00:25

Grandmafrench - it took a lot of getting used to not having butter on my bread, croissants etc when holidaying in France many years ago, but I now quite enjoy a chunk of Camembert or Brie with hunks of unbuttered French bread.

Witzend Wed 23-Jun-21 12:17:00

Smurf52, my French exchange girl’s mother certainly put butter on her bread - hence the melted globules all over the surface of her bowl of milky tea every morning. ?

Lucca Wed 23-Jun-21 12:39:54

Witzend

*Smurf52*, my French exchange girl’s mother certainly put butter on her bread - hence the melted globules all over the surface of her bowl of milky tea every morning. ?

For breakfast yes but not when an accompaniment to dinner

lemongrove Wed 23-Jun-21 13:02:40

Kalu

Yes, those ones are really good, I agree. Shame that their normal ( not frozen) ones aren’t very nice though.
At the moment we are enjoying ones bought from the Co-op, not particularly authentic but still very yummy.
We eat them with either apricot jam or lemon curd and a chopped up banana.

misty34 Wed 14-Jul-21 23:32:44

When I was 11 I went on a school trip to France we stayed in a school [which was closed to the pupils for summer holidays]. We were served croissants for breakfast every morning with a bowl of coffee. I had never had either before but thought it was wonderful!

mokryna Thu 15-Jul-21 16:02:58

Lucca

Ellianne

If only Lucca.

Indeed.

But you have to choose your boulanger very carefully. In a town this could be done very quickly by comparing the length of the queues, however it is best to taste them all. Until a few years ago I used to drive into the next town but I don’t need to now, as one has changed hands for the better. That being said, where I am at the moment there is no choice, yuk too greasy.