Gransnet forums

Food

Alternatives to traditional cows' milk - views and suggestions please!

(11 Posts)
ixion Sun 20-Jun-21 11:04:55

We don't have allergies, so not a medical issue, but we have been sampling, out of curiosity, a range of alternatives during the weekly shop.
Thus far, Oat and Vanilla.
What do you recommend using them with/for (rather than just drinking in a glass!)?
Can you use them for cooking to replace cows's milk? e,g. custard? White sauces?
Any suggestions and preferences would be appreciated!
Thank you

Chardy Sun 20-Jun-21 11:16:43

I quite like soya milk

Jumblygran Sun 20-Jun-21 11:19:14

Why are you trying the different milks, they are highly processed and do not behave the same as cows milk in cooking etc. Oat milk is OK in tea or coffee but the other milks do taste quite different. It seems like a needlessly expensive path.
For most people cows milk is fine.
If you are looking for nutrition then the nut or oat milks can’t replicate milk.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Jun-21 11:20:30

As I have had breast cancer I avoid soya but love oat and coconut milk. I also use their yoghurt.
I have not used any of them in sauces and tend to use skimmed milk in coffee but they are great with cereals.

ixion Sun 20-Jun-21 11:29:04

Because, Jumblygran, I have an innate sense of curiosity at what I see on supermarket shelves and figure that at £1.80 a try, it may be a more healthy one-off alternative to my choccy bar treat...
Thank you for your advice!

Luckygirl Sun 20-Jun-21 11:51:12

I have almond milk - I do not like ordinary milk - just the smell of it makes me want to throw up! The almond milk is fine. My calcium levels are normal.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 11:55:30

If you are alright with soya, there is this one.

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253178655

The link is to Tesco, but it available in various shops.

I have a litre of this every day, though this is because I am vegan and also need a restricted diet, so it is in my circumstances a good source of protein..

It gives me protein and calcium and vitamins including B12 and D2.

It has no sugars and no sweeteners.

Also, from time time I have one or other of the following. There is sugar in them, but they are, in my opinion, very tasty. Though one of the 250 gramme units a day is the most I have.

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256334414

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/250126054

I hope that this helps.

ElderlyPerson Sun 20-Jun-21 12:01:35

By the way, the flavoured ones say "Best served chilled" on the box but I never have them chilled, always at room temperature.

Each to their own, but I do not like chilled drinks at all.

muse Sun 20-Jun-21 12:04:00

We have sweetened soya milk. It makes brilliant custard as does the unsweetened with sauces. We use it mainly for cereals and MrM likes it on his porridge. Porridge has to be made with water first.

We both have tea and coffee black and have to keep some long life semi skinned in for visitors. Soya doesn't mix well with hot water.

SueDonim Sun 20-Jun-21 12:14:43

We generally have cow’s milk but I’ve tried alternatives, out of curiosity. I soon found that soya makes me ill and that I can’t tolerate soya in other products, either.

I have a container of oat milk at the moment, bought when a dairy-intolerant relative came to stay. I need to read the packet to see what it can be used for!

My daughter’s flat mate has a severe nut allergy so almond milk is an absolute no-no. The current trend of nut milks means she now can’t go into cafes that offer them, as even a tiny amount on her skin, let alone ingested, causes a reaction. Luckily, my dd has only once had to rescue her friend with an Epipen this year but it’s an awful thing to have to live with.

ixion Tue 22-Jun-21 16:20:33

Thank you for all these comments and suggestions, they are much appreciated.
I will continue to broaden my horizons!