Gransnet forums

Food

What's your favourite rhubarb recipe?

(39 Posts)
CanadianGran Tue 22-Jun-21 19:45:11

Planning a small gathering including finger food/ tea style menu. I have some fresh rhubarb. Any ideas? My usual is a square with shortbread crust, layer of rhubarb, then crumble, but looking for something different.

Peasblossom Tue 22-Jun-21 19:50:05

Stew the rhubarb with some sugar and chopped crystallised ginger. Wait till it’s cold then make little parcels with rounds of filo pastry and flash bake.

muffinthemoo Tue 22-Jun-21 19:53:48

My personal favourite is rhubarb and custard cocktails, but an non alcoholic version with rhubarb syrup and lemonade would also be refreshing in warm weather.

Ro60 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:10:13

If you have left over rhubarb, Rubarb & ginger gin - but it takes a few weeks.

Lin52 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:11:50

Top of my list rhubarb and vanilla crumble, with home made custard, or carnation ice cream. Delicious.

Grannyboots1 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:16:21

My Rhubarb dish is called Flummery. The grandchildren and adults alike love it.
Cook 1 1/4 lbs of Rhubarb (chopped into 1 inch pieces) with 1/4 pint water.
Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and cook till soft and pulpy.
Take off heat and beat till smooth.
Add tablet of raspberry jelly and 4oz caster sugar stir till melted.
Spoon into small dishes or stemmed glasses
Chill to set
Serve with cream

Redhead56 Tue 22-Jun-21 20:27:20

Rhubarb crumble with buttery crumble topping. A rhubarb cocktail make a syrup with water rhubarb and sugar boiled cool strain. Add gin and Prosecco serve with ice. Rhubarb chutney Martha Stewart recipe I use apple too its nice served with fish meat pies or cheese. Chopped and stewed cooled rhubarb on scones with clotted cream.

3dognight Tue 22-Jun-21 20:47:27

Mmm, lovely recipes, I just layer chopped rhubarb and sugar, a rough crumble that’s got a teaspoon of ginger powder in, a mix of self raising and plain flour and salted butter.

We eat it cold from the fridge grin

Grandmadinosaur Tue 22-Jun-21 20:52:34

Years ago my mum used to make a Rhubarb trifle. I think the recipe came courtesy of our local evening newspaper. Basically it was the usual sponge base topped with a layer of stewed rhubarb then the custard and cream. Delicious!
I do a flapjack recipe where you put a layer of the oat mixture on the bottom then a layer of stewed rhubarb and remainder of the oats on top. When baked cut into squares.

CanadianGran Tue 22-Jun-21 21:01:39

Thank you all for some fresh ideas. Hard to make up my mind now...

Grannynannywanny Tue 22-Jun-21 21:09:18

My mouth is watering reading this thread. Peasblossom’s suggestion is my favourite so far. It sounds delicious.

My Mum used to stew sweetened rhubarb then into the oven topped with a sponge mixture and baked till golden. I’ve never come close to replicating it.

I do love a bowl of stewed sweetened rhubarb in the fridge to spoon over ice cream or serve with custard.

jusnoneed Wed 23-Jun-21 08:33:44

This recipe a friend gave me, Rhubarb and Orange cake.

350g rhubarb, cut into one-inch pieces
200g caster sugar
Grated zest and juice of half a small orange
140g softened butter or margarine
2 beaten eggs
Half-teaspoon baking powder
85g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds

Topping:
25g melted butter
25g brown sugar
Grated zest of half a small orange
50g slivered almonds
Icing sugar to dust

Mix rhubarb with 50g of the caster sugar and the orange zest and set aside for an hour, for the sugar to draw some of the liquid out of the rhubarb. Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar, add the eggs, baking powder, flour and ground almonds and beat together. Stir in the orange juice and spoon the mixture into a greased nine-inch cake tin. Drain off any liquid from the rhubarb, then spoon rhubarb over the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes at around 170 degrees for a fan oven or gas 5.

While it cooks, prepare the topping. Combine the melted butter with the sugar, zest and slivered almonds. After the 25 minutes cooking time, reduce the temperature to 160 degrees (gas 4) and sprinkle the topping over the cake. Return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until firm. Cool in the tin and dust with icing sugar.

Now I have plenty of rhubarb in the garden and haven't made this for a while .......

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 23-Jun-21 08:39:37

Old fashioned rhubarb fool served with thin biscuits?

muse Wed 23-Jun-21 08:57:19

Loving this thread.
Me too Grannynannywanny ?

I've made that cake Yiayia4. It's fantastic. but I use chopped nuts instead of slivered almonds. Now a family favourite alongside crumble made with wholemeal flour for the crumble. I put strawberries in with rhubarb the crumble sometimes.

Will try *Peasblossom"'s with the ginger.

I'm making a note of all the other ways to use rhubarb. It is my favourite fruit. It freezes well too.

shysal Wed 23-Jun-21 09:08:23

I love this rhubarb fool recipe made with Carnation milk and Greek yoghurt. I have served it at parties in disposable champagne flutes or sundae glasses.

www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/rhubarb-fool-recipe

Blondiescot Wed 23-Jun-21 11:24:21

I usually make crumble, but that cake sounds lovely. I also saved a recipe I saw on Facebook the other day for a rhubard and custard Eton Mess, which I thought sounded a bit different.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Jun-21 12:02:21

Rhubarb vodka, my friend uses gin.

lemongrove Wed 23-Jun-21 14:35:04

Redhead56

Rhubarb crumble with buttery crumble topping. A rhubarb cocktail make a syrup with water rhubarb and sugar boiled cool strain. Add gin and Prosecco serve with ice. Rhubarb chutney Martha Stewart recipe I use apple too its nice served with fish meat pies or cheese. Chopped and stewed cooled rhubarb on scones with clotted cream.

Oh, they all sound delicious...I have made notes of them.?

CanadianGran Wed 23-Jun-21 19:51:15

Jusnoneed, thank you for the cake recipe, I will print it.

We are hosting the family after interning ashes of MIL on Friday afternoon. Dear MIL loved rhubarb, especially stewed. I also have some tiny little tart tins of hers, so I found a recipe last night for shortbread pastry, and will stew the rhubarb with some ginger for tiny tarts.

Lots of good ideas here. I chop and freeze my rhubarb as it grows, so have quite a bit in the freezer now to experiment with new recipes. thank you!

muse Wed 23-Jun-21 20:31:00

Forgot to put on my comment: rhubarb, ginger and whisky jam.

1kg pink rhubarb, trimmed weight
1kg jam sugar (which has added pectin)
zest and juice 1 lemon
50g stem or crystallised ginger, finely chopped
4cm piece ginger, peeled
good double whisky

Method
Wash the rhubarb under cold running water and slice into 2cm
pieces. Tip into a large ceramic or plastic bowl and add the jam sugar, lemon zest and juice, and chopped stem ginger. Finely grate the peeled ginger directly over the rhubarb.
Stir the mixture thoroughly, cover loosely with cling film and leave to one side for about 2 hrs to allow the sugar to dissolve into the rhubarb juices. You may need to stir the mixture occasionally to encourage this process along.
Pop a few saucers in the freezer. Scoop the fruit and all the sugary juices into a preserving pan and set over a medium heat. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved, add whisky and bring to the boil. Continue to cook at a fairly swift pace until the rhubarb is really tender and the conserve has reached setting point – this should take about 10-15 mins.
To test for a set, 105° or drop ½ tsp of the jam onto a cold saucer, leave it for 30 secs, then gently push it with the tip of your finger. If the jam wrinkles the setting point has been reached. If not, continue to cook for a further couple of minutes and test again.

Brewteaful Thu 24-Jun-21 10:36:22

Not finger food but this cake is delicious…
www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/baking-and-desserts/rhubarb-and-custard-cake/

Welshy Thu 24-Jun-21 11:04:45

Not a recipe but have any of you tried Bonne Maman Rhubarb Yoghurts? They are yummy. I buy mine from Asda.

Lillie Thu 24-Jun-21 11:06:00

nice thread

Shandy3 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:18:06

Gin! But it takes about a month to make ??

Gin Thu 24-Jun-21 12:06:04

Rhubarb and banana fool. Delicious,