Gransnet forums

Food

Love Delia Smith

(41 Posts)
mrsmopp Wed 30-Jun-21 22:56:47

Been using her recipes for years and she never lets us down, Tonight we had Baked spinach with brown rice and cheese. It was seriously yummy.
Whar is your favorite Delia recipe?

MawBe Wed 30-Jun-21 23:04:02

That sounds nice-which book is it on? I have most of them and you can tell which ones I use most- greasy, stained, pages falling out!

MiniMoon Wed 30-Jun-21 23:04:54

I don't think I have a favourite, but I came across one recipe when looking for something to make for my tea with what I had in the fridge. Swiss Baked Eggs. I can recommend them, very tasty.
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/meals-and-courses/lunch-and-snacks/swiss-baked-eggs

Sago Wed 30-Jun-21 23:13:09

My only Delia book is the complete cookery course, as a newly wed it was my bible.
My mother was a grim cook and took no pleasure in feeding us, Delia gave me the confidence to cook, food is now my passion, I have a lot to thank Delia for.

mrsmopp Wed 30-Jun-21 23:13:20

Delia S Smiths Complete Cookery Course.
Ive had it for years and still turn to it regularly.

Welshwife Wed 30-Jun-21 23:14:52

The thing I like about her recipes is that if you follow them properly they are successful. I still like recipe books although I know you can look up so much on line but the books do not require you to make a list of ingredients or keep refreshing the screen!

kittylester Thu 01-Jul-21 07:04:59

We used to have Swiss Baked eggs a lot Minimoon so thank you for reminding me.

My favourite recipe is the all in one sponge - I use it all the time. The redcurrant, orange and mint sauce is fabulous too.

I find Delia recipes a bit too precise for my style of cooking. I like Nigel Slater and Nigella better.

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Jul-21 07:16:16

Smoked bacon and lentil soup, haven’t made it for ages.

TerriBull Thu 01-Jul-21 07:47:21

I do remember her early programmes with great affection, I think they were my cookery building blocks following on from the basics I'd acquired at school. I bought all her books to accompany whatever series she was doing so as well as the Complete Cookery course first ones, I have various Christmas/Winter and Summer books. I think my stand out memory of using one particular recipe from one of those books, would be her incredibly rich Chocolate Torte which never failed me and would be the pudding I'd serve at dinner parties, when we gave those a long time ago. I remember having to go searching for something called liquid glucose which I'd never heard of before.

shysal Thu 01-Jul-21 07:59:09

Delia's Parmesan Parsnips are a family must every Christmas.
I did once make her oven-baked rissotto with butternut squash which I enjoyed very much, and no standing stirring!

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 01-Jul-21 08:00:50

I have made her Christmas cake and Christmas pudding for years. I also make her beef bourguignon recipe too and all in one roux sauce. Probably several others but I’m still in bed and can’t remember!

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Jul-21 08:15:24

We have a Delia Christmas dinner every year! Totally reliable and tasty.

Maggiemaybe Thu 01-Jul-21 09:04:25

I make Delia’s Creole Christmas cake every year. I throw in whatever booze I happen to have, so it’s different every time, but it always goes down well. We all like the last-minute, light Christmas puddings as well, and her traditional bread sauce. Outside of Christmas, the Eliza Acton rice pudding recipe is probably my favourite.

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 10:38:01

If you follow them exactly, her recipes always turn out well. Which is more than you can say for some other writers/cookery books.

A special one of hers I’ve used on and off for years is this - a bit of a faff but worth it. However I don’t recommend making it for 16 people - as a dd and I once did when staying at a BiL’s place in France! A faff too far, but it went down very well.

It’s vegetarian too, not that I ever made it for that reason - just because it’s nice.

Callistemon Thu 01-Jul-21 10:41:04

Yes, the thing about Delia's recipes is that they work.

I have made a few of the Hairy Bikers' recipes and they're good; better than Nigella's or Jamie's

gulligranny Thu 01-Jul-21 10:45:06

We love Delia's Haggis Pie, which is in her Christmas book. We don't just have it on New Year's Eve either. Another sure-fire success is her twice-baked cheese souffles which are foolproof and delicious and her Moussaka (from her Cookery Course) which is perfect.

Witzend Thu 01-Jul-21 10:50:26

Forgot to add, her Christmas mincemeat recipe is a winner, too, and very easy.
Memo to self, must start saving a few jars - it’ll be September all too soon and I usually leave these things rather late.

Welshwife Thu 01-Jul-21 10:57:45

Oh Terri the chocolate Torte! So so rich you can only eat a tiny piece - I remember buying the liquid glucose in Boots chemist and it was a nice light consistency - I bought some subsequently in a supermarket but it was sooooo thick it was difficult to use.
I liked her Green Thai curry and the rice on the next page - you could make them almost to the finish and take two minutes to finish off when people arrived - I must look at that one again.

Fennel Thu 01-Jul-21 18:27:49

I've got one of her books with Moroccan Baked Chicken with chick peas and rice which I've made a few times. From Delia Smith's Winter Collection.
Callistemon I watch Hairy Bikers too and just like their whole presentation. And their recipes. But with 2 of them working on the 'prep' they're a bit heavy on the labour involved for an elderly person working on her own.

Sarnia Thu 01-Jul-21 19:04:08

Delia Smith's recipes for rissoles was delicious. This was often tea on Monday evening, using up the leftover meat from Sunday lunch. Very popular in our house.

muse Thu 01-Jul-21 19:37:06

Her Christmas pudding. Been making it for nearly 10 years.
Kept one for 2 years. Delicious. I do put Murphys and whisky in it.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Jul-21 19:39:52

Her recipes never turn out for me ?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 01-Jul-21 19:40:36

Nigella’s the one for me.

Larsonsmum Fri 02-Jul-21 11:24:13

Always use Delia's Moussaka recipe.

Nicegranny Fri 02-Jul-21 15:23:48

Her beef stroganoff.