Gransnet forums

Food

Chicken drumsticks

(20 Posts)
hulahoop Fri 02-Jul-21 17:15:03

I am wanting a recipe for sticky drumsticks can anyone help ?

Grandmafrench Fri 02-Jul-21 17:40:17

For 4 people

50g ground almonds : 50g grated Parmesan : 2tbspns Mayonnaise: 2 tbsps olive oil : 1 tbspn sweet chilli sauce : 8 chicken drumsticks

Oven @ 180C. Mix almonds and Parmesan in bowl, season well with salt and fresh ground black pepper. In separate bowl mix Mayo with most of the olive oil and the sweet chilli sauce. Coat the chicken well with this and then roll each drumstick in almond and Parmesan mixture. Rest drumsticks in fridge for 15 minutes to allow the coating to firm up. Then onto roasting tray and coat with remainder of olive oil. Bake for 20/25 minutes or longer - until juices run clear when pierced with sharp knife.
Serve with salad or steamed green veg.

We have this often, it's very good and makes us feel (slightly) virtuous since it's from a blood sugar diet recipe book !!

Grandmafrench Fri 02-Jul-21 18:07:51

Sorry, since I was making this for supper, I failed to note that you said 'sticky', so maybe here's one you'd prefer-

6 chicken drumsticks then all Tablespoon measures of the following for a marinade:
6 of Tomato ketchup, 2 of Tomato Purée, 2 of grainy mustard, 3 of Worcester sauce, 2 of runny Honey,
and 1 crushed garlic clove.

Put drumsticks in a bag in the fridge with the marinade. Rest for 1 hour or more. Heat oven to 220 (or 200C fan). Put drumsticks in single layer in dish, cover with marinade and bake for 35 or 40 minutes until cooked through and sticky.

Mattsmum2 Fri 02-Jul-21 20:18:56

Grandmafrench

Sorry, since I was making this for supper, I failed to note that you said 'sticky', so maybe here's one you'd prefer-

6 chicken drumsticks then all Tablespoon measures of the following for a marinade:
6 of Tomato ketchup, 2 of Tomato Purée, 2 of grainy mustard, 3 of Worcester sauce, 2 of runny Honey,
and 1 crushed garlic clove.

Put drumsticks in a bag in the fridge with the marinade. Rest for 1 hour or more. Heat oven to 220 (or 200C fan). Put drumsticks in single layer in dish, cover with marinade and bake for 35 or 40 minutes until cooked through and sticky.

These sound lovely, can you do these with skinless drumsticks?

Tizliz Fri 02-Jul-21 21:15:12

I do this with chicken thighs

fevertree Fri 02-Jul-21 21:51:34

I do a Gordon Ramsay chicken recipe with soy sauce, lemon juice and honey, and slices of lemon, which is lovely and sticky. The recipe says to cut up a whole chicken but I use drumsticks and thighs. I also cook them for longer than he suggests! (Because the first-time I made it, they had to go back in the pan).

Will post a link if I find it.

Grandmafrench Fri 02-Jul-21 21:56:05

Mattsmum I think I'd prefer to add olive oil - brushed onto them before the marinade - rather than have the chicken with skin on (but that's just me!) They are really nice; chicken thighs or wings would work just as well, adjusting the cooking time if necessary.

fevertree Fri 02-Jul-21 21:58:17

Here you are, I see it is actually called Sticky Lemon Chicken:

www.food.com/about/chicken-221

fevertree Fri 02-Jul-21 21:59:43

Oops don't know what happened there! grin

Just Google "Gordon Ramsay Sticky Lemon Chicken recipe".

hulahoop Fri 02-Jul-21 22:43:28

I posted a thank you but it's disappeared ? thanks grandmafrench both your recipes sound delicious will definitely try sticky one this weekend but will save other or another time.

hulahoop Sun 04-Jul-21 10:29:50

Sticky drumsticks were good ?thanks again*Grandmafrench*.

Witzend Sun 04-Jul-21 11:08:48

Thanks for that, Grandmafrench - I’ve lost the recipe I used to use. Mostly it was for M&S skinless and boneless chicken thighs, quartered and barbecued on skewers, but I think I’ll try them whole in the oven with this one.

Grandmafrench Sun 04-Jul-21 19:26:59

So pleased you like the recipe! Re-reading it I’m laughing, since I made it sound as if the drumsticks in a bag followed the marinade which was already in the fridge! Then I advised rest for an hour…hope you took that advice as meal preparation can be so tiring! ! ?

Fennel Sun 04-Jul-21 19:41:07

Grandmafrench thanks for you recipe. I've had a problem with baking/roasting chicken for years due to cooking at a over-high heat. Just last week decided to try a recipe similar to yours which I found in a magazine.. It also included powdered coriander and cummin, Starting with a large sliced oion at the bottom of the baking dish. And cooking at a much lower heat. A much better result.
The onion etc soften to make a tasty sauce.
You can also schmear your chicken with the mix and marinate overnight.

linkbuilder68 Sat 10-Jul-21 11:09:55

8 Ingredients
4 Method Steps

1.2kg Coles Australian RSPCA Approved Chicken Drumsticks

40g pkt Coles Mexican Seasoning

2 cups (400g) Coles Long Grain White Rice

1 tbsp olive oil

1 red onion, thinly sliced

1 1/2 tsp Coles Whole Cumin Seeds

420g can Coles Corn Kernels, drained

400g can Coles Red Kidney Beans, rinsed, drained

Select all ingredients
Step 1
Preheat oven to 200C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Combine the chicken drumsticks and seasoning in a sealable plastic bag. Shake to coat. Remove the chicken from the bag and place in a single layer on the lined tray. Bake, turning occasionally, for 35 mins or until cooked through.
Step 2
Meanwhile, cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 mins or until tender. Drain.
Step 3
Return the saucepan to the heat with the oil. Add the onion and cumin and cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until the onion softens. Return the rice to the pan with the corn and beans. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 mins or until the mixture is heated through.
Step 4
Serve the chicken drumsticks with the rice mixture.

Elegran Sat 10-Jul-21 11:49:59

Can I assume that you are a sales rep for Coles, linkbuilder68 ? No-one else has been so specific about the exact brand of all six main ingredients in their recipe - all except olive oil and red onion, which are not easy things to restrict to a brand.

MaizieD Sat 10-Jul-21 11:56:37

Elegran

Can I assume that you are a sales rep for Coles, linkbuilder68 ? No-one else has been so specific about the exact brand of all six main ingredients in their recipe - all except olive oil and red onion, which are not easy things to restrict to a brand.

Snap!

I was just wondering that, too, Elegran

No previous posting history found in 'Search'

Have you reported it?

Elegran Sat 10-Jul-21 12:10:45

Not yet, Maizie I was waiting to see whether the poster returned to explain her preference for Coles products.

Witzend Sun 11-Jul-21 11:04:42

Grandmafrench, I used that recipe with M&S skinless, boneless chicken thighs - it worked very well. Might be nice with a little chilli powder added, too.

BTW isn’t Coles an Aussie supermarket? In which case it won’t be a lot of use recommending their products here.

geekesse Sun 11-Jul-21 11:47:48

Ginger paste, garlic paste, chilli flakes, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and lots of honey or maple syrup - quantities to taste. This make anything deliciously sticky.