Gransnet forums

Food

Ridiculously simple recipes that never fail.

(190 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:55:52

Here is one many will know for lemonade scones
I cup lemonade
1 cup cream
3 cups sr flour.
Mix up and don’t maul too much. Use extra four on hands and rolling pin. Roll out to at least half inch thickness and cut into scones using a tumbler. Can wipe tops with cream remnants. Cook quite hot for 15 mins 200 C
Another one for pizza bases.
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 cup SR flour. That’s it! Cook hot like scones after you have loaded it up with tomato purée, cheese and whatever you want.

Nanascats Tue 28-Dec-21 12:40:41

For the pea soup make it with minted frozen peas!!!

Nanascats Tue 28-Dec-21 12:41:30

For the peas soup use minted frozen peas

TopsyIrene06 Tue 28-Dec-21 13:01:35

Thank you ladies.

This is a fantastic thread. I spend an awful lot of time prepping, chopping and generally faffing around and then I read this. So helpful and interesting. Really appreciated.

Grandmagrim Tue 28-Dec-21 13:07:47

Cook pasta, add chilli salmon fillets (you buy them cooked ) add natural yoghurt. Eat

boheminan Tue 28-Dec-21 13:24:33

Choccie Droppies: A family recipe. Firstly weigh out a quantity of biscuits (stale ones are great) reduce to crumbs. You'll need syrup, cocoa powder (or if you've a sweet tooth, chocolate powder) and marge, all at half the weight of the biscuit crumbs.

Melt syrup in saucepan, stir in marge, add cocoa (choc) powder and finally stir in biscuit crumbs. Leave to cool. When cooled, pour into shallow lightly greased container and put in fridge until hardened.

GinnyTonic Tue 28-Dec-21 13:42:59

Reading these, I might even be tempted to relieve OH from doing all the cooking.

LynneH Tue 28-Dec-21 14:49:03

Lucca

Really ? Might try the pizza one ….what is a cup measure?

A standard cup measure is 250ml, but the whole point is that you can use whatever cup - or mug - you like. If it’s 1 cup of this, and half a cup of that, the proportions remain the same

Boyzone Tue 28-Dec-21 14:55:29

Campbells chicken and mushroom condensed soup … I have three tins in the cupboard BBE November 2018
Would you or wouldn’t you?

Gongoozler Tue 28-Dec-21 14:58:45

I like the sound of your cheesy potatoes grandtanteJE65 and will try them this evening!
Lovely mouthwatering recipes to read on a cold, damp afternoon and have copied a few out to try sometime.
Thanks everyone.

notgoneyet Tue 28-Dec-21 15:51:06

Fry one of those little boxes of smoked lardons.
Add a sliced onion (and often finely chopped celery) and chopped garlic.
Add chopped chicken thighs. Cook for 5-10 mins.
Add Campbell's condensed mushroom soup (or works well with Campbell's condensed tomato soup).
If needed add a little milk.
Simmer until chicken cooked through (about 20 mins)
Serve with either rice or jacket potato.

Kc55 Tue 28-Dec-21 18:16:03

The cheese sauce definitely works - I use it often. Really tasty!

Glosgran Tue 28-Dec-21 18:33:02

Very Easy Apple Dessert

Layer ginger nut biscuits with stewed apple in a glass. Leave in the fridge for biscuits to absorb moisture from the apple. Serve with whipped cream on the top and pieces of chopped preserved ginger or chocolate curls.

Forsythia Tue 28-Dec-21 20:11:56

We’ve just had this, it can be used with any left over poultry and I sometimes use tuna.
Left over chicken.
Fry onion, garlic granules, risotto rice, mushrooms.
Add any veg. I’ve used peas and courgettes today.
One chicken oxo cube.
Water.
Boil, simmer until liquid gone, eat with grated cheddar on if liked. Yummy!

Hetty58 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:20:15

Lucca, what a funny reply. It really made me laugh - and nobody got the joke. (It doesn't matter what cup you use.)

I've just discovered onions baked in their skins - so easy. Just trim the tops and bottoms, drizzle with oil, add herbs and seasoning, then cover and put in the oven (200 degrees) for an hour or so.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:31:09

(I just gave up after a few pages - as it's pretty useless for vegan recipes - except the soup and marmalade - but will try the fruit cake with almond chocolate milk!)

Chewbacca Tue 28-Dec-21 20:44:34

To use up the last of that never ending turkey:
Break up the turkey meat into bite size pieces and Chuck in a large bowl. Add a few chopped spring onions, chopped celery, sweet corn and any other bits of veg in the fridge. Stir in a dollop of full fat mayo and seasoning and give it a good stir through. Tip into a shallow oven dish and scatter any bits of left over cheeses. Break up some crisps and scatter over the top. Shove in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with green salad.

Forsythia Tue 28-Dec-21 20:50:27

Chewbacca -That sounds nice, I shall give that a go.

Doodledog Tue 28-Dec-21 20:56:03

I love this thread?.

I have just chopped up leftover turkey, ham, and pigs in blankets, and fried them up with finely chopped onion, sprinkled a bit of flour over it all, and added milk, seasoning and a bit of tarragon. When it thickened, I put in the last of the cranberry sauce and half a tin of sweetcorn.

Whilst this was cooking I knocked up some pastry, and when it has all cooled and the pastry has chilled (it is in the fridge wrapped in clingfilm) I will make Christmas pies for the freezer. My husband is vegetarian, so I will make little ones for me to grab for a quick lunch when he is out.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Dec-21 20:59:33

Doodledog, I'm just horrified - doesn't anyone want to be healthy? Everyone seems to be shovelling saturated fat down themselves. It's a list of recipes for a heart attack!

Chewbacca Tue 28-Dec-21 21:01:59

It's really flavoursome Forsythia and uses up all sorts of odds and ends in the fridge (red peppers, peas etc). But don't be tempted to use low fat mayo instead; it separates when cooking and looks awful!

Forsythia Tue 28-Dec-21 21:06:46

Thank you for that tip. I like recipes that use up odds and ends of veg in the fridge.

Doodledog Tue 28-Dec-21 21:10:22

Hetty58

Doodledog, I'm just horrified - doesn't anyone want to be healthy? Everyone seems to be shovelling saturated fat down themselves. It's a list of recipes for a heart attack!

Hang on whilst I swallow this chocolate?

No, I'm not interested in healthy eating this week. It's Christmas, my birthday and NYE, it's raining outside and the land is beset by Plague.

I am starting a diet in January, but even then an occasional turkey and ham pie won't be my undoing if I have it with salad instead of chips. This week, however, anything goes grin.

Supergranuation Tue 28-Dec-21 21:59:40

This is my most favourite thread ever!!!

NotTooOld Tue 28-Dec-21 22:38:32

nanna8

Here is one many will know for lemonade scones
I cup lemonade
1 cup cream
3 cups sr flour.
Mix up and don’t maul too much. Use extra four on hands and rolling pin. Roll out to at least half inch thickness and cut into scones using a tumbler. Can wipe tops with cream remnants. Cook quite hot for 15 mins 200 C
Another one for pizza bases.
1 cup Greek yoghurt
1 cup SR flour. That’s it! Cook hot like scones after you have loaded it up with tomato purée, cheese and whatever you want.

Re the pizza base, do you bake it before loading it up with tomato puree etc? Can't imagine it would work, if not. But then, I'm a useless cook. grin I would really like to know, though.

TwinLolly Wed 29-Dec-21 08:22:21

CHOCOLATE FRIDGE BARS
(Double up to make more - they are delish!)
Ingredients
110 g margarine
110 g (120 ml) sugar
50 ml cocoa
75 ml milk powder or cheapie coffee creamer
1 egg, whisked
1 (200 g) packet tea biscuits, crushed (Marie Biscuits for South Africans)
Method
1.Heat margarine & sugar until margarine is melted.
2.Add cocoa and stir in well.
3.Add in milk powder & stir.
4.Add in egg.
5.Add crushed biscuits, mix well & press into pan.
6.Chill in fridge.
(Crushed biscuits can be as fine as you wish - I do it to fine crumbs/powder, others like to leave it slightly chuncky-ish)