Gransnet forums

Food

Yogurt makers - anyone got one?

(15 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 31-Jul-21 10:59:40

I got an Easiyo. I really like it - very simple....the Easiyo, not me smile

MawBe Sat 31-Jul-21 09:04:19

mokryna

Don’t know what I would have done when the children were small and short of money. Used to make a batch every evening for a good 20 years, changing the flavours. It produced really cheap food at a fraction of shop ones. One yoghurt made 9. However, it has been in the top cupboard since they left.

That takes me back!
I used to make it in a wide necked Thermos (other flasks are available) adding a spoonful of Marvel - remember that? - to make it creamier.
It might have been a Delia idea.
I wonder if I even still have that flask (at the back of the dog towel cupboard!)

Barmeyoldbat Sat 31-Jul-21 08:58:46

Yes we have one, bought it in Lidle and use it all the time. We use UHT milk and a few tablespoons of natural yogurt as the started. Makes the best yogurt ever,. Highly recommend

Humbertbear Sat 31-Jul-21 08:47:38

When the children were younger we always had one and it was always on the go. My new bread maker has a setting for making yogurt but I haven’t tried it. (I used to knead my bread by hand but am finding it harder to do and the machine is a lot less messy).

NfkDumpling Sat 31-Jul-21 08:30:19

Thank you everyone. I think I may succumb. We spend a lot keeping Yeovalley in business as thats the one DH prefers. Their pots are recyclable, but still plastic.
The Lakeland one doesn't look too big and I have a slot for it. I too make my own bread by hand - love kneading - but I don't have a guaranteed warm place to marinade yoghurt.
It hadn't occurred to me to use our little slow cooker though, I'd assumed it would be too warm.
Thanks for the link Luckygirl. I thought I'd remembered a thread but couldn't find it on this horrible phone.
And pleased to hear the all important taste is good. That was also a concern as MiL's yoghurt all those years ago, wasn't too good!
Thanks All

Luckygirl Fri 30-Jul-21 23:04:20

Recent thread on this: www.gransnet.com/forums/food/1297591-Yoghurt-maker

Esspee Fri 30-Jul-21 22:41:51

I’m from the age when you didn’t have machines for everything. I just used a few teaspoonfuls of live yoghurt whisked into room temperature full cream long life milk which you don’t need to boil, cover and leave in a warm place and by morning Hey presto, a big bowl of lovely yoghurt which along with mashed or cut up fruit made a great start to the day.
You can strain it through a muslin cloth for a thicker yoghurt or whisk in some powdered milk to increase the protein and thickness. I never bothered.
I used to swirl in Ribena for a change or sometimes honey.

GagaJo Fri 30-Jul-21 22:34:46

Not any more, but I had one in the 80's and used it all the time. Make bread by hand fairly often too. By hand, not with a breadmaker. It's so easy.

annodomini Fri 30-Jul-21 22:31:23

It's only a few weeks since this subject came up and then I recommended the Easiyo kit, available from Lakeland and other sources. It never fails to provide me with a week's worth of perfect yoghurt.

NotAGran55 Fri 30-Jul-21 22:19:09

I have the Lakeland one and make 1.5 litres of delicious organic live yogurt every week .
So simple to use and great results . Don’t forget to buy a thermometer though if you do already have one .

Amberone Fri 30-Jul-21 22:17:49

Do you have a slow cooker? I've made yoghurt in mine quite easily. We had a bit of a thing about yoghurt at one point, so for a short time I made a fair bit but haven't done it for a while now.

MoorlandMooner Fri 30-Jul-21 21:53:50

I have the £29.99 one which I bought from Lakeland a few years ago. It makes lovely yoghurt and is easy to do. You just boil the milk in a pan, wait until it cools, put it in the maker and leave it.

It makes big portions, so one 'making' will probably last two several days.

Genuinely think it's nicer than most yoghurt you can buy. The main reason I bought it was I wanted to cut down on my single use plastic and not buy all those yoghurt pots.

It has never gone wrong, even on the occasions when I've taken my eye off the ball and thought I'd messed it up. I always use semi-skimmed milk but you can use any milk and all you do is adjust the time. The guidebook is very easy to follow.

You need to have or buy a thermometer as the temperature of the milk is the vital bit.

mokryna Fri 30-Jul-21 21:43:35

Don’t know what I would have done when the children were small and short of money. Used to make a batch every evening for a good 20 years, changing the flavours. It produced really cheap food at a fraction of shop ones. One yoghurt made 9. However, it has been in the top cupboard since they left.

cornishpatsy Fri 30-Jul-21 21:27:14

Never had one as I am happy with the yogurts I can buy and it wouldn’t fit in the cupboard with the unused bread maker, ice cream maker, smoothie maker and fancy spiralizer.

NfkDumpling Fri 30-Jul-21 20:35:17

(Should this be under technology?).

We eat a quite a lot of yoghurt and I've been wondering about getting a yoghurt maker. DH thinks it'll be a waste of money - his mother had one forty years ago and it didn't work very well!!
Lakeland has a yoghurt and soft cheese maker for £30 which I like the look of. Has anyone tried/got one? Does it work? And does the yoghurt taste good?