Gransnet forums

Food

Meat always come out rubbery and dry!

(38 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Sun 01-Aug-21 18:39:14

I'm getting so fed up of it. Bought an expensive leg of lamb from Aldi which cost almost £15 (I think it was 2kg), and I popped it in the slow cooker with vegetables underneath, and some water as well to stop it drying out... Or so I thought. Put it in at 10 this morning, took it out, let it rest for 10 minutes, then when I sliced it... It didn't even fall off the bone. It just came out tough as boots. Even shredded it finely to use it for something else there's still some gristly bits in it. I know I need to get a grip but devastated because I was really looking forward to having a lamb roast dinner but now we're just having some leftovers instead. How do you do yours? I've done it all sorts of ways from wrapping it in foil, cooking it in the oven on very low with water and foil, basting it every 30 min to 1 hour.. But still ends up going in the bin. Maybe the actual meat itself is not good quality?

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 10:51:12

I do a brilliant (well I think it is) slow roast shoulder of lamb with some boiling water over the top , wrapped in tinfoil, sitting on a bed of veg and a trivet) in my slow oven overnight .
It just falls apart and is served with mint and pomegranate seeds.
I wonder if your lamb dried out in your slow cooker- or was maybe cooked at the higher temp?

JaneJudge Mon 02-Aug-21 11:42:13

this is a nice shoulder recipe too

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 11:44:54

JaneJudge

this is a nice shoulder recipe too

Mmmmm!

ExDancer Mon 02-Aug-21 12:02:47

Can I say, as a sheep farmer's wife, that a poorly raised sheep will produce a poor specimen of meat but a leg shouldn't be rubbery. I have been told slow cooking isn't the best way to cook the more expensive meat cuts.
We have always found Aldi British meat to be excellent value. Some supermarkets put a union flag on the package but it usually means the meat is foreign, just packaged in UK. I have to take my specs to read the small print.
I would roast a leg in a roasting bag, we don't like ours pink so I'd do it for 20 mins per lb + 20 mins if it ran blood after. It is essential to then wrap in foil and rest for up to an hour.
Cheaper, fattier cuts, like shoulder (fatty but tasty) I slow cook on High for 3-4 hrs, then again rest it for 1hr. Timing depends on your slow cooker.
(I am lucky having a supply of our home reared lamb, but shop at Aldi when we run out.)

ExDancer Mon 02-Aug-21 12:06:25

Oh I should say when you but it, it should be 28+ days hung, 21 days is too short a time.

Kamiso Mon 02-Aug-21 12:17:43

We use a mix of shops. our local butcher especially for pork, supermarket or Lidl especially if they have offers, and never had any problems.

Raise a complaint with the shop in case others have had the same problem.

Fennel Mon 02-Aug-21 12:52:50

We go to an independent butcher and only buy shoulder lamb. They trim most of the fat off first.
Sometimes it's fine, but sometimes it's like old mutton.
I once asked the manager about it but he'd never even heard of mutton!
Remember "mutton dressed as lamb"?

Fennel Mon 02-Aug-21 12:54:35

ps just occured to me - french for sheep is mouton.

MawBe Mon 02-Aug-21 13:07:02

Beef comes from boeuf
Pork from porc

Sago Mon 02-Aug-21 13:29:02

Before a large joint goes in a slow cooker always sear it first.
Once brown all over then add a large sliced onion to the pan and gently fry, you may need a little oil.
Now peel 3 large carrots and cut into finger size batons.
Add this to the onions, now add a glass of red wine or port if you have it, a good dollop of red currant jelly and simmer together for a couple of minutes.
Pour over the lamb adding a sprig of Rosemary and enough stock and or 3 tsp bistro powder stirred into cold water. You need enough liquid to cover about 1/3 of the lamb.
Cook on the highest setting for appx 6/7 hours, turn the lamb occasionally and add more liquid if necessary.
Remove the lamb and leave to rest, skim the fat off the juices and thicken if it needs it.

MiniMoon Mon 02-Aug-21 13:51:30

A 2kg leg of lamb should take about 2 hrs in the oven at 170°c. I have never done one in the slow cooker. A meat thermometer is my best friend. To cook lamb to medium the internal temperature should be 66°c, for well done roast it until the thermometer reads 74°c.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 02-Aug-21 14:08:41

I have never had any trouble with a leg of lamb and I buy mine where they are cheapest, which often means Aldi.

If it is frozen: defreeze completely.

Slice as much peeled garlic as you like (if you like it at all) and place each slice into a little slit that you make with a small sharp knife on the surface of the joint that will be upwards in the oven, Spread thyme over the surface and salt and pepper.

Place in a roasting tin with a little water in it.

Put it on the second lowest tier of the oven.

The oven should be cold - this is important.

Turn on the oven, setting it to 175 degrees centigrade and 2 hours cooking time.

Then go off and do anything you want for the next two hours.

If you want roast potatoes with it, peel them now, put them in a well-greased dish, add a little water, salt them and pop them in the oven after the first half-hour has passed.

In an electric oven you can stand them on the bottom; if you are cooking in a gas oven they will need to be in the lowest tier.

I have never had the problems you describe when I have used this method. Even more surprisingly - it works well for my adult son as well!

That says something, as neither DH nor I could interest him in cookery when he lived at home - he has learned in self-defence after finding a wife who neither can nor will cook!

No, I am not having a dig at her, I am still laughing about DS realising he should have listened to us years ago and learned to cook! (I had succeeded in teaching him to sort washing in colours. Just as well, as guess who does all their laundry. You've got it; DS does!)