Gransnet forums

Food

Are you experiencing big gap in the shelves in your area?

(291 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 09-Aug-21 22:03:41

What are your stories and anecdotes about the current shortage on some shelves?

Jaxjacky Tue 24-Aug-21 12:05:18

Fanny it’s all bottled drinks too, down to the shortage of drivers as already mentioned.
inews.co.uk/news/mcdonalds-milkshakes-run-out-uk-hgv-driver-shortage-1164790
Pubs are also facing supply issues with beer as the drey drivers have been on strike. Without knowing the ins and outs I’d think existing HGV drivers are in a good position to apply a bit of pressure now.

JaneJudge Tue 24-Aug-21 11:41:07

Aww Welshwife, enjoy your visit smile

JaneJudge Tue 24-Aug-21 11:40:03

How does that happen, JaneJudge? Our milk comes from a local farm and is delivered locally. Is the float in the garage or are the cows on strike? grin

They confirmed it was a shortage of milk delivery people (I would say milkmen but I'm sure there must be some women)

It has been on the news about McDonalds now. It seems a lot of 'chains' have shortages of food then? confused

Welshwife Tue 24-Aug-21 11:27:52

I confess here to not reading every post! Here in France I have noticed that some fruits are not so plentiful and far more expensive - peaches nectarines etc - but this is due to the awful weather we had earlier in the year. It has affected the grape harvest too.
The only fruit we have this year in good supply is apples - no plums, pears cherries etc. Our tomatoes are not so good either due to so much rain.
The menu I posted was sent to me by DD. Next week I will be able to see for myself as we have booked our first trip back to U.K. since Christmas 2019 - I am beyond excited despite the filling in of forms and tests etc. It is far mor complicated than usual and a tad worrying to say the least - if not all paperwork is correct you are not allowed to board the ferry!!

Welshwife Tue 24-Aug-21 11:20:13

This is the menu in Wagamamas Harrogate last Saturday. All the items unavailable were due to shortages of ingredients or staff to do the cooking.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 10:18:58

And this time I definitely have got my coat on. Carry on misrepresenting other people’s posts for your own amusement and faux outrage.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 10:17:20

I get very put out with posts that say things like "get it from Sainsburys" or just "pop round the market".

Bully for you. What I actually said was that that was what people were doing here when there was no milk in our Tesco. The market round the corner had plenty and so did Sainsbury’s 5 minutes walk away.

Nothing whatsoever to do with you, or the people living in your town.

sneering about cows being on strike

Good God, that was a joke. Have I offended the cows living in fields near you now?

Alegrias1 Tue 24-Aug-21 10:07:11

Can't they just pop round to Sainsburys Fanny?

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Aug-21 10:04:14

It’s just been on the news that McDonalds have run out of milkshakes due to ‘supply chain problems’ with milk.

Alegrias1 Tue 24-Aug-21 10:03:36

I get very put out with posts that say things like "get it from Sainsburys" or just "pop round the market".

Many people can't afford Sainsburys, or Tesco, or even Morrisons for that matter. Markets are not ubiquitous. If someone is relying on their local supermarket for the essentials, and those essentials are not available, it doesn't help them to tell them they have to find alternatives. It may not be possible for them to find alternatives, for many, many reasons, including cost, time, or the availability of public transport.

So sneering about the cows being on strike does nothing to help people whose lives are significantly impacted by the shortages in supermarkets, shortages that for some are a minor inconvenience because they are in a position to make a "middle class" choice.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 10:00:41

To the OP and anyone else, apologies for derailing the thread. I’ll get my coat….

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 09:50:34

You know nicely that I’m talking about the well-off middle classes.

But I’m glad you’ve had your snigger.

Alegrias1 Tue 24-Aug-21 09:38:53

They prefer to save a few coppers towards their next holiday flight

They'll be off to the Costas with their noisy kids I suppose ?

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 09:35:11

Perhaps stop sneering long enough to consider that many people who can afford to have their milk delivered, in glass bottles, from a local farm, choose not to. They prefer to save a few coppers towards their next holiday flight and turn a blind eye to the damage their cheap milk from the supermarket is doing to our farming industry and to the planet.

I’m not massively well off, but I prioritise.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 09:30:39

I’m perfectly well aware of how many people in this country have to live, thank you.

I’m also well aware that round here the markets are a lifeline for many. Here in West Yorkshire every sizeable town has them. They’re cheap, cheerful and well supported. My DH goes once a week and comes back with a bag full of fruit and veg, fish and cheese, for loads less than we’d pay in the supermarket.

And before I’m accused of elitism again, he comes back on the bus.

Alegrias1 Tue 24-Aug-21 09:23:08

Yes, correct, its not all about me.

But a big part of it is about people who don't have the resources to pop round to Sainsburys to pick up their bottle of milk.

The Co-op at the bottom of my road is a shopping destination for people who can't afford the prices in the Tesco in our town, or haven't got the transport to get themselves out there. Generally older or disadvantaged people. Two weeks ago they had no milk at all for a couple of days, in plastic or in glass. So what does the person who relies on that Co-op do for their morning cuppa? There's no milk deliveries in our area, I checked.

The attitude that they can just get it from their local milkman demonstrates a severe misunderstanding of how many people in this country have to live. I was in that Co-op yesterday, they have milk now but they still have signs up apologising for the reduced choice they can offer in all products right now.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 09:14:57

Oh dear. I’m not about to disclose my personal circumstances to you, suffice to say you assume too much. I prioritise. And using glass instead of plastic is one of my priorities.

Stop being so passive aggressive, *Alegrias^, it’s not all about you.

Alegrias1 Tue 24-Aug-21 09:05:07

Maggiemaybe

And before anyone starts about me not caring about people who can’t afford to have their milk delivered, they only had to walk to the market round the corner or 5 minutes to Sainsburys.

My nearest Sainsbury's is 15 miles away. What do you suggest?

Maybe Waitrose have some. Or I'm sure they'll have some in Harrods.

Sadly, the multi-storey dwellers in the town nearest me don't have ready access to a lovely local market or a nice milkman who gets their milk straight from Daisy.

Froglady Tue 24-Aug-21 08:58:34

No, I haven't seen any empty shelves in Morrisons in Blackburn.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 08:58:11

And before anyone starts about me not caring about people who can’t afford to have their milk delivered, they only had to walk to the market round the corner or 5 minutes to Sainsburys.

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Aug-21 08:52:52

JaneJudge

bloody hell, now my milkman has shortages!

How does that happen, JaneJudge? Our milk comes from a local farm and is delivered locally. Is the float in the garage or are the cows on strike? grin

Funnily enough, there were notices up in our Tesco when I went in a couple of weeks ago apologising for shortages, but the only empty shelf I saw was in the milk aisle. I hope it might persuade a few more people to ditch the plastic and consider supporting their local milkmen and women.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Aug-21 07:58:00

grannyactivist I heard about that on LBC, it was the middle of the night, and I’d forgotten about it.
What an outrageous and stupid idea. To be honest, it was that outrageous and stupid that I was under the impression that it was the government’s suggestion.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Aug-21 06:09:30

I haven’t noticed any shortages I went to Asda yesterday everything seemed as normal no empty shelves
I ve been out to eat locally a few times and menus the same have a grandchild works in MacDs whilst at school and they re normal
So I can only presume it’s some in particular areas of U.K.

grannyactivist Tue 24-Aug-21 01:17:12

Fanny the meat industry is asking the government to allow them to use prisoners to meet labour shortages in abattoirs and packing plants etc.

www.theguardian.com/business/2021/aug/23/uk-food-firms-beg-ministers-to-let-them-use-prisoners-to-ease-labour-shortages

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Aug-21 14:57:08

I’ve heard that turkeys will be hard to come by at Christmas! ?
Workers in the meat industry have been hit hard by Covid as they work in very close contact.
(It must be a vile job)
I don’t know if many Eastern European people previously worked in the meat industry, but it wouldn’t surprise me.