Gransnet forums

Food

splitting cream

(29 Posts)
Doodledog Mon 23-Aug-21 20:24:20

I have made a banoffee pie, and went to whip the cream to go on the top, and it has split. It was in date, looked fine in the carton, and started to thicken when began to whisk it, but as I continued the cream split so there were basically curds and whey in the bowl.

Has anyone had this happen to them, and if so do you know why, and if there is a remedy?

Baggs Mon 23-Aug-21 20:39:31

Have you done smell and taste tests?

From somewhere at the back of my mind something is emerging about over-whipped cream.

Sorry, can't help but google might.

Redhead56 Mon 23-Aug-21 20:41:11

Add some extra cold cream to the mix and whisk it until it comes together again.

Doodledog Mon 23-Aug-21 20:41:33

I didn't taste it, but it smelt fine, and the sell by date is 28th, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't off.

It's maddening, as the rest of the pie is sitting in the fridge waiting for it, and I am sitting on the sofa waiting for the pie?.

Doodledog Mon 23-Aug-21 20:42:44

Redhead56

Add some extra cold cream to the mix and whisk it until it comes together again.

I don't have any more cream, Redhead. I bought this carton specially for the pie. I can get some tomorrow and start again, but that's not the point.

MaizieD Mon 23-Aug-21 20:51:56

It just sounds as though you've overwhipped it; for which there is no remedy that I've ever heard of.

Just keep on whipping it and eventually you'll get a little lump of butter...

Mattsmum2 Mon 23-Aug-21 20:59:01

You can over whip the cream, best to start off gradually ?

Doodledog Mon 23-Aug-21 21:01:05

Thanks, both. I did it the way I always do it, and this has never happened before. I'll wait until tomorrow and get some more cream and try again.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 23-Aug-21 21:08:07

Try adding a tiny bit of milk and whisk it through.

JackyB Tue 24-Aug-21 06:46:05

I don't know a cure but I never whip cream if thunderstorms are about. It is sure to curdle, however long it has been in the fridge. Something to do with electrical charge.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Aug-21 07:37:26

Haha never heard of split cream what does it do ? open up like the Red Sea you can tell I m no cook can’t you ?
I just pour cream on things

Doodledog Tue 24-Aug-21 13:31:47

BlueBelle

Haha never heard of split cream what does it do ? open up like the Red Sea you can tell I m no cook can’t you ?
I just pour cream on things

No?. It separates into watery milk ('whey'), and lumpy clots ('curds'). It's not attractive.

That's interesting, JackyB. I've never heard that before. I think it was raining yesterday, now you mention it - it has certainly been 'heavy' for a few days.

I have a new carton of cream, and will whip it up later this afternoon. There shall be pie.

midgey Tue 24-Aug-21 14:09:31

I agree with JackyB, milk will curdle if there is thunder about unless it’s safely in the fridge.

nanna8 Tue 24-Aug-21 14:36:13

I’d never heard of a banoffee pie so I looked it up. It sounds absolutely yum, going to make one now. Is it Scottish ?

JackyB Tue 24-Aug-21 15:20:49

I googled milk curdling and thunderstorms before I wrote that last post. So much came up that I didn't bother to post any links. Scientists have been puzzling over it since the 17th century at least, and there are references to it as far back as the Middle ages.

JackyB Tue 24-Aug-21 15:22:23

I used to keep a few tins of evaporated milk when I bottle fed my firstborn. Around Whitsun there were invariably thunderstorms and you couldn't boil milk nor whip cream.

Callistemon Tue 24-Aug-21 15:22:28

JackyB

I don't know a cure but I never whip cream if thunderstorms are about. It is sure to curdle, however long it has been in the fridge. Something to do with electrical charge.

I've never heard that before! Interesting.

Yes, it sounds as if it's over whipped, although our milk had curdled yesterday and it was still in date (26th) and had been kept in the fridge.

Doodledog Tue 24-Aug-21 15:25:03

nanna8

I’d never heard of a banoffee pie so I looked it up. It sounds absolutely yum, going to make one now. Is it Scottish ?

I have a horrible feeling that it might be American, nanna, but who cares - it's lovely?.

I mash the bananas and put them on top of the base before adding the toffee. It stops them going brown and yucky looking.

Callistemon Tue 24-Aug-21 15:29:30

I first heard of it when I went to a 'simple cookery' demonstration when banoffee pie first became popular.

It is very nice but very calorific

Doodledog Tue 24-Aug-21 15:33:32

It's very easy, specially of you make the toffee in the microwave, and children can do a lot of helping.

Petera Tue 24-Aug-21 15:34:36

Doodledog I have a new carton of cream, and will whip it up later this afternoon. There shall be pie.

Don't throw away the old stuff - you now have buttermilk and butter.

shysal Tue 24-Aug-21 17:54:03

There is no need to make the toffee at all. You can buy ready caramelized condensed milk to be used straight from the tin. The 'posh' name for it is Dulce de Leche. It is perfect for Banoffee or millionaires shortbread.

maddyone Tue 24-Aug-21 18:02:59

Banoffee pie smile absolutely love it. I make the Mary Berry one when we have family round sometimes.
Can’t help with the cream problem Doodledog, sorry.

Doodledog Tue 24-Aug-21 18:21:00

Petera

Doodledog I have a new carton of cream, and will whip it up later this afternoon. There shall be pie.

Don't throw away the old stuff - you now have buttermilk and butter.

Ah, too late. It looked horrible, and it went in the bin last night, I'm afraid.

Dulce de leche is lovely eaten straight from the tin or warmed and spooned onto ice cream, but I prefer to 'make' the toffee so I can get it the consistency I like.

Doodledog Tue 24-Aug-21 18:21:33

I can feel my arteries hardening each time I look at this thread?