Gransnet forums

Food

What do you think ‘slut’ meant?

(88 Posts)
Mollygo Wed 25-Aug-21 07:17:18

Nigella Lawson has evidently renamed her dessert with ‘slut’ in the title, because she says the word has taken on a coarser meaning.
I always thought it meant a woman of questionable morals, but she relates it to slattern which I thought meant untidy or messy. Weird names for any food anyway.

Ullabirgitta Fri 03-Sep-21 14:17:35

Slut in Swedish (pronounced sloot) means finished. Maybe she means that when you’ve eaten it the meal is finished ?

welbeck Tue 31-Aug-21 19:17:44

i think nowadays, it's imposs to think of slut as anything other than akin to tart, but worse.

CanadianGran Tue 31-Aug-21 19:09:57

Here it has only one meaning, a derogatory term for a promiscuous woman.

If Nigella was changing the name of a dessert, it was probably due to pressure from publishers.

Redhead56 Tue 31-Aug-21 18:40:50

I think they are called slutty because they are made with filthy rich gooey chocolate.

sluttygran Tue 31-Aug-21 18:26:42

I was christened 'Slutty' because I am incurably, obsessively and irritatingly houseproud.
It's the same principle as Little John being so named because he was very big!

janipans Sat 28-Aug-21 14:14:00

I was so angry about the state of my teenage daughter's bedroom that I told her she was "such a slut" - meaning dirty and untidy. Of course she interpreted this as being rather more derogatory and was really upset.
I don't have many regrets in life but this is one of them. I do wish I had chosen my words more carefully rather than upsetting her so badly.

M0nica Sat 28-Aug-21 08:01:46

Mess also refers to people living and eating together. As an army brat I grew up in communities with an Officer's Mess, Srgeant's Mess and others.

As the 'slut' thread shows, there are very few words in the Englsih language with only one clear meaning. Most have two or more clear and unrelated meanings.

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Aug-21 07:56:43

I thought that the origins of Eton Mess were that the school’s Cook made a sort of pavlova type thing; dropped it; and then scooped up all the ingredients and put them into bowls willy-nilly (now there’s a name for a desert!)

Callistemon Fri 27-Aug-21 20:34:18

The reason it's called Eton Mess, is because it's traditionally served at Eton College's annual cricket game against the pupils of Harrow School

Easy peasy, delicious but so easy for some pubs etc to get wrong.

welbeck Fri 27-Aug-21 19:38:32

what about eton mess.
i'd never heard of it til i saw it in the works canteen once.
thought it sounded horrible; stupid name, off-putting.

Rosina Fri 27-Aug-21 16:37:54

I loved Katherine Whitehorn's articles; my guiding principle when a young mother was her advice to 'think what the Coroner might say'.

Naninka Fri 27-Aug-21 05:21:02

grannyactivist

I called my mother a slut once, when I was thirteen. She slapped my face so hard that my ears rang for a week! blush

In fairness to my younger self I had no idea of the connotation relating to morals, I’d read the word in a book and it referred to a selfish woman who did no housework. With hindsight my mother’s life at the time was such that she had cause to think I meant the latter.

I did a similar thing @grannyactivist. Only I asked my mum why she was all tarted up? I honestly thought it just meant she had some make up on. Lol.

Tanjamaltija Thu 26-Aug-21 22:00:23

Slut food is just delicious fast food that's messy, and eaten with gusto i.e. not burgers and chips. www.eggslut.com/#menu is a Fast Food place.

Calendargirl Thu 26-Aug-21 18:48:21

Just read this in a book,

A slut is a woman who sleeps with anyone; a bitch is a woman who sleeps with anyone but you.

From a man’s point of view, of course.

MerylStreep Thu 26-Aug-21 17:21:41

ExaltedWombat
I say that to friends and family when the say something like you’ll never believe what I found in the back of the cupboard/ drawer But they laugh ?

icanhandthemback Thu 26-Aug-21 17:07:50

Slut originally meant someone who was lax in their hygiene or housekeeping but for years it has been used in a derogatory way for someone who sleeps around. Why Nigella didn't realise this before is a mystery before but, quite frankly, as long as she only used to describe a pudding, I can't see the problem.

Allsorts Thu 26-Aug-21 17:07:44

I don’t think it’s an attractive name, she must be running out of ideas.

hollysteers Thu 26-Aug-21 16:46:35

Backpedaling- yes there are pics of her showing her ears, but it’s probably not her favourite style.

hollysteers Thu 26-Aug-21 16:17:23

olliebeak I’m pretty sure Nigella has never put her hair behind her ears, they are enormous! (There is a god…) I caught a snap of her with the wind blowing her hair back.
My sister has the same ears and we haven’t seen them for years?

ExaltedWombat Thu 26-Aug-21 16:12:50

I once almost fell out with a neighbour when she told me of her domestic failings, not cleaning behind the fridge or something. 'You slut!' was intended as jocular banter. She took it quite differently.

I suppose today's usage is more tied up with Slut Walks and the like. Where being sluttish is every woman's right?

Oh, I give up. Those who want to be offended will be.

Sheilasue Thu 26-Aug-21 16:11:21

I always thought slut was ment for a woman with no morals.
Trying to dress it up as a pud is a bit of a joke.

Callistemon Thu 26-Aug-21 15:51:56

sluttygran

What can I say? grin

grin
I'm saying nothing, sluttygran

sluttygran Thu 26-Aug-21 15:49:28

What can I say? grin

crazyH Thu 26-Aug-21 15:08:42

Jane Judge - ?- I couldn’t have put it better ?????

Daisend1 Thu 26-Aug-21 15:07:15

I never take Nigella seriously. Happy though to give her recipes the benefit of the doubt.