Gransnet forums

Food

Help! Very fussy eater DGSs staying

(112 Posts)
Aveline Thu 02-Sep-21 10:09:07

Just that really. Any ideas for food that might tempt fussy eating DGSs of 10 and 8 staying this weekend. Their Mum has handed in quantities of white bread and peanut butter and Nuttella but I'll need to give them more than that.
It's possible they might try new stuff as they're at Grans?? Hope so. Any suggestions gratefully received.

hollysteers Sun 05-Sep-21 19:53:28

Happysexagenarian I’m with you! Words of wisdom ?

Gingster Sun 05-Sep-21 19:43:09

My tiny gd (6) , is very very fussy. She eats pizza, pasta, marmite sandwich, banana, petit filou yoghurt, chips , cocktail sausages, all this in tiny portions. BUT she loves my homemade carrot and parsnip soup, finely blended. No chewing required.

Aveline Sun 05-Sep-21 19:35:33

coastalgran Read the thread!!

coastalgran Sun 05-Sep-21 17:42:57

Get them involved with the selection of the food, preparation and cooking, pizzas that are home made by the kids is a good start.

Aveline Sun 05-Sep-21 12:39:32

LizH13 ?

LizH13 Sun 05-Sep-21 11:29:08

I know I’m late to this party, but Aveline has it sussed. Just couldn’t resist adding this menu to the discussion smile

Aveline Sun 05-Sep-21 09:42:15

Mokell50 and others. If you read my posts you would know what I did and how it turned out.

Cossy Sun 05-Sep-21 09:11:01

Three out of four of my children were VERY fussy eaters so almost every meal was a buffet ! Cut up raw vegs, fruit, cubes of cheese, (lots of different types), breadsticks and different cream cheeses and peanut butter (assuming no allergies), little yoghurts and jelly, crisps, all washed down with drinks of milk, (add mixes to make milk shakes), fresh juice and water.

Mokell50 Sun 05-Sep-21 08:38:19

My grandson will only eat McDonald’s chips, plain pasta and butter, white bread, cheese sandwiches, garlic bread, chocolate biscuits.
No veg or fruit- I worry about his health, he gets very tired.
His parents are worried how he’s going to manage at a school holiday next week.
Hope you have some success.Let us know how it goes.

Cabbie21 Sun 05-Sep-21 08:38:17

Well done!

Aveline Sun 05-Sep-21 08:09:45

Problem solved. See previous posts

Tanjamaltija Sun 05-Sep-21 06:01:33

Try raw fruit and vegetables,. especially if you can make a rainbow out of them, and shapes...

Madgran77 Sat 04-Sep-21 22:15:00

Ready made Pizza bases. Range of things to add their own toppings, bake in oven according to pizza base instructions.

Zoejory Sat 04-Sep-21 22:02:58

I have one of my grandsons staying over now. We're playing Fortnite. If he wants to eat, he eats. If he doesn't he doesn't!

Shelflife Sat 04-Sep-21 21:59:45

Very difficult , if children are so fussy. In your position I would give them want they want , not worth the stress trying to encourage them to try new things .
Redhead 56 , I am intrigued with your pizza base made from Greek yogurt and Sr flour, will you explain how you make them please .

Nannabumble70 Sat 04-Sep-21 21:58:04

Boiled eggs and soldiers, roast chicken dinner, homemade soups.

3dognight Sat 04-Sep-21 21:08:54

Grandmabatty

Aveline excellent! A success. Bed might be more of a challenge. Good luck

So true, best of luck cupcakewine

Grandmabatty Sat 04-Sep-21 19:38:30

Aveline excellent! A success. Bed might be more of a challenge. Good luck

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 19:16:51

Yay well done. Good luck with the bedtime. I had one GC who was a dream to get to bed, the others not so much.

Aveline Sat 04-Sep-21 19:13:26

The menu plan worked a treat. They both found things they liked and ate lots. Phew. Just got to get them to bed now!

llizzie2 Sat 04-Sep-21 19:12:25

Do they like pizza? Here is a recipe for an alternative which tastes better:

Put the required number of slices of bread in the toaster.

Chop up tomatoes, put them in a microwave dish and - almost - cook them in the microwave.

Add as much grated cheese as they like, and a few herbs etc.

Butter the toast and cut into triangles. Put the cheese and tomato on the toast and serve it. So much better than pizza and you know what goes into it. Not only that, but it is tastier and a lot cheaper. You can buy cheese already grated.

Jane43 Sat 04-Sep-21 16:37:14

Be guided by their mother and just give them what they will eat, don't worry, they will change eventually. Our granddaughter was terribly fussy and would only eat certain things but she is 22 now and eats almost anything. She came for a meal with us with her boyfriend on Wednesday and when I texted her to see what they like to eat she replied almost anything. Over the meal her boyfriend told us when they started living together last year she told him he had to eat vegetables and they have a very healthy diet. It made me regret all the worrying I did about her when she was younger.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 16:07:35

Sloegin

My grandson, now 12, is a very fussy eater. When he and his sister were small I came across a box of vol au vent cases in the freezer and ' puff pies' were born! I cooked the 'puff pies' and the children filled them with macaroni cheese, baked beans or whatever. He still expects them when he comes to visit. The large ones work best.

It's wonderful when you find something a really picky eater enjoys. When my DD was very underweight we discovered she liked a rich fruit cake from a local bakery, no other cake just theirs. Anyway I was ordering one and explained to the owner, her husband did the baking, and they started making her a special cake every week, it had extra butter and eggs in. I think they liked being involved in her recovery and that cake was a very important part of her very limited diet.

I remember her first residential with school, teacher scoffed and said they all eat when they are away, all together, all hungry after a busy day, no snacks or mum making them something special. Two days in she phoned me desperate for advice on what to do to get her to eat anything.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Sep-21 16:02:01

sazz1

When I took in foster children and also when child minding I just cooked normal evening meals and sandwich lunches. Fresh meat/fish and veg etc. Just put dinner on the table and let them eat what they like. Really fussy children will eat when they are hungry. Always check for allergy though.

Not all really fussy children will eat when they are hungry. My DD would have ended up in hospital if we'd followed that advice. I know it works for the majority but it really doesn't work for all. As my GP used to say, "Give her chocolate, give her cake, give her anything she will eat and we'll worry about her teeth when her weight is normal."

I think we were very lucky as our family doctor had a daughter with the same issues, he told me he felt ashamed of how he had dealt with parents facing the problem before he experienced it with his own child.

Sloegin Sat 04-Sep-21 15:57:39

My grandson, now 12, is a very fussy eater. When he and his sister were small I came across a box of vol au vent cases in the freezer and ' puff pies' were born! I cooked the 'puff pies' and the children filled them with macaroni cheese, baked beans or whatever. He still expects them when he comes to visit. The large ones work best.