Gransnet forums

Food

cake baking

(13 Posts)
Farmor15 Wed 29-Sep-21 15:55:12

Glad to hear it Nannarose. It was a recipe I found in a newspaper a few years ago.

Nannarose Wed 29-Sep-21 15:40:58

Thanks again! Very successful

YorkLady Wed 29-Sep-21 11:54:05

Thanks for this. We have family coming over this weekend so I will try it out.?

Nannarose Tue 28-Sep-21 17:14:15

Thank you! I can read the recipe well. It occurred to me after I posted that maybe a traybake would be better, so this is excellent.
Thank you also for the doves farm link, which will be useful

I shall toast you all when I cut my own square!

Farmor15 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:08:02

Also freezes well. Because it's in squares, I often freeze in lots of 3 or 4 in small boxes so can take out if I fancy a piece or someone calls

Farmor15 Tue 28-Sep-21 14:05:07

If you can't read recipe, PM me and I'll send. It's got a strong coffee flavour, so could reduce amount if preferred. I like it better than some of the insipid cakes you buy, which look lovely but taste of nothing.
Icing is very easy- no beating required. I usually don't use it all but keep in fridge for next time, or put on buns.

YorkLady Tue 28-Sep-21 13:50:27

Please doFarmor15 . I can’t have enough good cake recipes ?

Farmor15 Tue 28-Sep-21 13:46:38

I have a recipe for a coffee and walnut traybake cake, which is excellent. Makes a biggish cake which can be cut into squares/oblong. Have used for various events and always disappears quickly. Can post recipe if interested

toscalily Tue 28-Sep-21 10:27:11

This should help:

www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/how-to-change-cake-tin-sizes

shysal Tue 28-Sep-21 10:07:33

I think your quantity for 2 x 8" tins will fit in a 2lb loaf tin. I do this all the time. The only change I make is to lower the temperature slightly and give longer. Good luck!

25Avalon Tue 28-Sep-21 09:55:44

According to my Ancient but reliable Good Housekeeping Cookery book 1 x 8” round cake tin is equivalent to 1 x 7” square tin. A loaf tin would be different, however, because of depth so I think you can either do what Baggs suggests or find another recipe which maybe another GNetter might have and post.

Baggs Tue 28-Sep-21 09:41:24

My method would be this: make the cake dough, look at it, judge whether it will be sufficient for your loaf tin. If there is too much, chuck the remainder into a small tin and eat it yourself as a bonus.

Nannarose Tue 28-Sep-21 09:37:53

Hello, helpful Gransnetters! I have been asked to bake a coffee & walnut cake for a fundraiser.
The cake will be cut into slices to add to a selection box. I would (having done this myself!) rather bake the cake in a loaf tin, as it will cut more easily in to manageable slices.
However, I don't know how to 'convert' a recipe from 2 x 8" round tins into a loaf tin. I know some of you will have done it - and would appreciate the advice.