Gransnet forums

Food

Do you peel the apples…?

(15 Posts)
Blinko Sat 02-Oct-21 14:10:44

I never peel apples, nor potatoes for that matter. We're told all the vitamins are just beneath the skin.

Applegran Sat 02-Oct-21 14:04:57

I never peel and just once found the peel among the cooked apple was too chewy. Usually its fine - less work and more nutritious!

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Sep-21 17:11:01

Like DiscoGran, I never peel, apart from the obvious thick skins. Most of the goodness is just under the skin. My children always thought it was strange when they had mash anywhere else and it was smooth. They assumed everyone else had got it wrong. grin

Callistemon Thu 30-Sep-21 17:01:17

lemongrove

annodomini

If you peeled an apple before baking it, you'd risk having a pile of mush as a result. The inside of a baked apple should be soft and creamy.

The one exception to my rule ?

But I don't eat the peel

Forsythia Thu 30-Sep-21 16:51:30

I always peel ours from the tree before using in crumbles etc.

Patsy70 Thu 30-Sep-21 16:43:50

I never peel apples.

lemongrove Thu 30-Sep-21 16:05:58

annodomini

If you peeled an apple before baking it, you'd risk having a pile of mush as a result. The inside of a baked apple should be soft and creamy.

The one exception to my rule ?

lemongrove Thu 30-Sep-21 16:04:54

Grandmabatty

I always peel apples that I'm using for cooking/baking. I'm not a fan of apple peel.

Same here.
I make masses of apple crumble and freeze( from Bramleys in the garden) and always peel.
Am not a fan of any fruit skins in puds.

DiscoGran Thu 30-Sep-21 13:42:07

I never peel, there is fibre and goodness in the peel. Hardly ever peel potatoes these days either, even for mash.

annodomini Thu 30-Sep-21 13:33:35

Namsnanny Thu 30-Sep-21 13:04:13

It does seem a waste though. All the pectin and vitamins are just under the skin (and the core) and we discard them!
For chutney I would think it best to leave on.

Grandmabatty Thu 30-Sep-21 12:58:02

I always peel apples that I'm using for cooking/baking. I'm not a fan of apple peel.

MamaCaz Thu 30-Sep-21 12:54:30

I was about to say that I always peel apples that I am cooking with, but not those that I am eating raw, but then I remembered that I have never peeled apples that I am going to bake!

I might not bother in the future, unless I suspect that there are big bruised areas hiding beneath the surface.

Namsnanny Thu 30-Sep-21 12:47:27

I generally dont like plum skins or tomato skins, as they stick in my husband's throat and he has several problems that way .
So it's the same with apples.

Witzend Thu 30-Sep-21 12:44:45

….for whatever you’re making? I’ve got a big batch of apple chutney simmering at the moment - I used a mass of windfalls from dd’s tree. Recipe said to peel them, but I didn’t - it took ages just to core and chop them all anyway. Pretty sure I didn’t last time I made it, either.

I recently made a lot of Delia’s mincemeat - she says no need to peel the apples. I haven’t bothered for anything like apple crumble for ages - it doesn’t seem to matter at all. Sole exception is the apple cake I make now and then.

Do you always peel?