Gransnet forums

Food

Hot dog in choc chip brioche

(40 Posts)
Baggs Wed 27-Oct-21 20:52:44

How would you react to the idea of a hot dog sausage in a chocolate chip brioche roll?

maddyone Wed 27-Oct-21 23:21:33

No thank you.

grannyactivist Wed 27-Oct-21 23:30:11

Hmm! The Wonderful Man has been known to eat rice pudding sandwiches and other strange ‘delights’, so he’d probably give it a go if he could put crispy onions and Norwegian mustard on it.

Personally? Not a cat in hell’s chance! ?

OnwardandUpward Thu 28-Oct-21 00:04:54

I've used chocolate in making chilli con carne.... It's not the chocolate I have the problem with grin

Kalu Thu 28-Oct-21 00:33:24

Oh no Baggs no way! ??????? - is a possibility.

Kim19 Thu 28-Oct-21 08:09:33

Lincslass, thank you. You did make me smile because I guess I'm one of your derogatory 'some folk'. I would certainly try it. I've experience of really enjoying some combinations I didn't actually 'fancy' but the proof of the pudding and all that..... Crazy world but I love it most of the time.

Grannynannywanny Thu 28-Oct-21 08:28:03

I’ve had brioche hot dog rolls from Aldi at my son’s house. I was expecting them to be too sweet but they were surprisingly tasty filled with a slice of bacon. I’m not a lover of hot dog sausages and the thought of choc chips isn’t helping. Then again it might be just what’s needed and I’ll try anything once.

Lucca Thu 28-Oct-21 08:31:49

Brioche rolls are fine with savoury, my GC like them with ham/cheese/salami etc for picnics but not the choc chip kind !

Pittcity Thu 28-Oct-21 08:34:57

There was bacon on the chouxnuts made on Bake off this week. Paul and Prue approved. DH slathers maple syrup onto bacon and pancakes.
I put dark chocolate into my chilli. Meat and sweet do mix.
My worry would be that hot dogs really need mustard or ketchup which wouldn't really sit well with the chocolate.

Baggs Thu 28-Oct-21 10:50:50

JaneJudge

i think with mustard, ketchup and onions and lots of alcohol it would be fine

{grin}

Baggs Thu 28-Oct-21 10:51:21

grin !!

Baggs Thu 28-Oct-21 10:54:31

Urmstongran

Baggs is this a dare you from the grandchildren? A half term joke perhaps!

No, but that's an idea! Maybe I'll dare them.

It was MrB who thought hot dogs would be nice in brioche buns but then he went and bought choc chip brioche buns......

I don't really want to open a tin of hot dogs just to experiment. The experiment will have to wait until we can have normal hot dogs as well as experiment with the mad combo.

Baggs Thu 28-Oct-21 10:58:42

A little cafe near us, now closed, used to serve toasted fruit tea cakes with bacon.

Thank you for this idea, ann!

Baggs Thu 28-Oct-21 11:00:43

Wonderful Man has been known to eat rice pudding sandwiches and other strange ‘delights’,

Delia's bread sauce sandwiches are fab. That is her home-made bread sauce is very nice in sandwiches. Turkey is optional.

MiniMoon Thu 28-Oct-21 13:54:04

I do like a slice of cooked ham with mustard or cheese in a currant tea cake.

The thought of a hot dog sausage in a choc chip brioche roll isn't appealing though.