Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes for using an air fryer please

(73 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 12:37:36

I have read threads about air fryers and ninjas and, having decided on buying an air fryer, I am in the process of researching different models. I am realistic about my cooking skills and know that I would not use all the different features on a ninja!

To help me decide, I am hoping that you could tell me what you use your air fryers for, what kinds of food you cook in it and if you can prepare a whole meal or just parts of it. I am not sure exactly how to cook more than one type of food at a time in it.

I live alone and although I don’t eat convenience food, I don’t cook every night, I’m happy to have something on toast or heat up a ready made pie - bit lazy really! I do make casseroles in a slow cooker or in the oven and eat it over two days. I do not have a large freezer to batch cook.

Any recipes or ideas much appreciated.

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-Jan-22 08:48:28

kittylester I do not believe in keeping some food warm - I believe in cooking everything together but I live on my own I can work around that. I see recipes for 4 for my air fryer and I do not think it is possible.

Niobe Wed 16-Mar-22 19:58:49

I’ve just bought a book called ‘Air Fryer Cookbook’ by Jenny Tschiesche from The Works for £6. It has loads of recipes but I found it really useful for estimating cooking times. I bought it because the photos actually showed the Air fryer that I have so I presumed that it was written with that one in mind.

BlueBelle Wed 16-Mar-22 20:16:32

Can’t imagine it’s that useful for a vegetarian or is it ?

Tina49 Wed 16-Mar-22 20:41:11

BlueBelle

Can’t imagine it’s that useful for a vegetarian or is it ?

I’m vegetarian and bought an Airfryer quite recently. I find it’s pretty useful for roast potatoes, roasted mixed veg, cooking veggie burgers (once a week, when we take GS to football practice), etc

www.recipevibes.com/air-fryer-vegetables/

Niobe Wed 16-Mar-22 21:09:05

BlueBelle That book is about half vegetarian recipes but if you go onto Amazon there are loads of vegetarian and vegan air fryer recipe books.

Charleygirl5 Wed 16-Mar-22 23:40:02

I have joined Pinterest and at least daily I receive recipes and easy methods of cleaning anything from door ovens to showers and loos.

The recipes are American and occasionally there is food I do not recognise but I still find it helpful.

nanny85 Sat 19-Mar-22 12:56:30

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Doodledog Tue 22-Mar-22 23:14:50

My daughter air fries sugarsnap peas, and says they are lovely. I plan to try that when I get home (we are away just now, and I got a Ninja just before coming away).

I would really like a good all-round cookbook for it though. The ones I've seen on Amazon all seem American, get bad reviews for needing US ingredients such as grits, and neither The Works nor Waterstones had anything on offer today.

I also wonder whether it matters if the recipes are for a different model? There are so many, and they all seem different from one another. Mine is one with the slider on the lid. I got the 14 in 1, as I thought the only difference between it and the 15 in 1 was the meat probe, but I now think that there is a setting on the 15 to 1 that mine doesn't have (steam crisp or similar), so I may regret my choice. They must bring a new one out very frequently, so I hope they don't go out of date before long.

Any advice would be welcome, as would a book recommendation.

Doodledog Fri 25-Mar-22 19:57:28

Me again grin.

Can anyone help me to translate this, please? It's from a book called The Big Metric Ninja Foodi Cookbook With Pictures, which is quite 'American' in that it uses ingredients such as 'dried ranch sauce', and features hilariously amateur food photography, but has some quite good suggestions for recipes.

Anyway, what do you think this means?

Place a piece of foil in the Cook and Crisp basket with a layer of olive oil spray. Make sure it is rolled up on its side to allow air to circulate.

The recipe is for aubergine 'chips', which are breadcrumbed aubergine slices that get air fried. There are no further clues in the recipe as to what to do with the foil or why.

LtEve Fri 25-Mar-22 20:16:55

I use mine for chicken breasts, bacon, fired tomatoes, roasted vegetables, heating croissants, grilled cheese sandwiches and more. You do have to turn the sandwiches over but then I would on the grill.
I've bought some baking paper liners from Amazon so I can add sauces/marinades without to much of a mess. it's very easy to clean though.

Tina49 Fri 25-Mar-22 20:55:12

Place a piece of foil in the Cook and Crisp basket with a layer of olive oil spray. Make sure it is rolled up on its side to allow air to circulate

Perhaps it means you make a shallow ‘dish’ with the foil, to avoid getting oil directly on the Airfryer?

Doodledog Fri 25-Mar-22 21:28:21

Thanks, Tina. The aubergines are only sprayed with oil, though. It was the bit about putting it on its side that confused me - does tinfoil have a side?

LtEve, heating croissants is a good call - do you use the 'bake' setting for that?

LtEve Sat 26-Mar-22 20:22:04

Doodledog

Thanks, Tina. The aubergines are only sprayed with oil, though. It was the bit about putting it on its side that confused me - does tinfoil have a side?

LtEve, heating croissants is a good call - do you use the 'bake' setting for that?

Mine is a basic one with just temp and time settings, I put them in on about 120 degrees for five minutes although it does vary depending on how well baked they are in the first place. I check after the first three minutes.
It seems so wasteful to heat a whole oven for one croissant and the air fryer uses less electricity and doesn't need pre-heating.

Doodledog Sat 26-Mar-22 20:24:02

Great, I'll give it a go next time I have croissants - thanks smile.

Grannynannywanny Sat 26-Mar-22 20:38:20

It’s great for part baked baguettes. Just cut them in half to fit. I did one today for the lunch time soup. Packet said 12-14 mins in a fan oven. It was baked perfectly in airfryer in 6-7 mins. Faster than the time to preheat an oven.

Tina49 Sat 26-Mar-22 20:59:22

So you could do a garlic baguette in the airfryer?

Grannynannywanny Sat 26-Mar-22 21:04:59

Not tried a garlic baguette in it Tina49. I wonder if the butter would run out and burn on the pan?

Doodledog Sat 26-Mar-22 21:26:09

It might work if you wrapped it in tinfoil?

Tina49 Sat 26-Mar-22 21:28:14

I shall try it tomorrow!

Grannynannywanny Sat 26-Mar-22 21:33:46

Good idea Doodledog. Please report back the results Tina49. I’ll have my grandkids for a couple of nights next week and garlic bread is sure to feature on the menu!

LtEve Sun 27-Mar-22 05:21:07

I've done garlic bread in there, I just put it on a sheet of baking paper slightly scrunched up at the sides. Now I've got my liners I'd use one of those.

Doodledog Sun 27-Mar-22 09:07:57

Are your liners the ones designed for cake tins, LtEve? Basically circles of grease proof paper? I have some of those that I could press into service. What do you use them for?

Grannynannywanny Sun 27-Mar-22 09:55:41

I feel a bit apprehensive about using baking paper after reading that there is a risk due to the strong air flow that a piece of paper could break away and blow upwards onto the heating element and cause a fire ?

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Mar-22 11:35:59

Grannynannywanny that is exactly what happened to me. I had followed the instructions (American) and thankfully I was in front of my air fryer so I could deal with it immediately.

Mine was parchment paper and never again will I add anything other than tinfoil.

Grannynannywanny Sun 27-Mar-22 11:40:33

Yikes, that must have given you a fright Charleygirl5