Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes for using an air fryer please

(72 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 12:37:36

I have read threads about air fryers and ninjas and, having decided on buying an air fryer, I am in the process of researching different models. I am realistic about my cooking skills and know that I would not use all the different features on a ninja!

To help me decide, I am hoping that you could tell me what you use your air fryers for, what kinds of food you cook in it and if you can prepare a whole meal or just parts of it. I am not sure exactly how to cook more than one type of food at a time in it.

I live alone and although I don’t eat convenience food, I don’t cook every night, I’m happy to have something on toast or heat up a ready made pie - bit lazy really! I do make casseroles in a slow cooker or in the oven and eat it over two days. I do not have a large freezer to batch cook.

Any recipes or ideas much appreciated.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jan-22 12:47:21

To give you an idea of what I use mine for and I am no cook- last night it was frozen scampi, french fries and a defrosted corn on the cob.

The French fries take around 10 minutes so they went on first- then after 5 minutes, I added the scampi and the corn on the cob- keeping a beady eye on everything because it is so easy to overcook anything. I used 2 teaspoonfuls of oil for everything. All on 200C using a 4.5 litre Pro Breeze. Perfect.

dogsmother Mon 24-Jan-22 13:17:04

I now cook my salmon parcels in mine, tastier and much cheaper to use than a full o oven.

LadyGracie Mon 24-Jan-22 13:24:12

The booklet that comes with the Ninja has lots of information for cooking the basics, steak and sausages both cook beautifully. My DD makes fabulous cakes in hers.
I belong to a couple of air fryer groups on Facebook who share some good recipes and answer any questions you may have.
I find it very easy to clean too.

Shandy57 Mon 24-Jan-22 13:24:30

I had an M&S veg kiev last night, took 12 minutes. The old oven the seller left me takes ten minutes to heat up, I'm glad to be saving energy.

I'm not doing any cooking from scratch at the moment but I do frozen veg sausages quite a bit, as well as frozen potato wedges. I've just discovered you can cook part baked rolls in it, the timings were on the packet.

merlotgran Mon 24-Jan-22 13:34:47

Like Shandy I was left an oven but it was not really in good condition so I bought a new one (gas)

Every time I checked the gas usage on my smart meter app I was dismayed at how much the oven was costing so I bought an air fryer/halogen oven.

It looks rather large for one person but I've noticed an immediate saving on fuel because the cooking time is so much shorter. Yesterday I did roast potatoes, a chicken portion and browned a small dish of leeks in cheese sauce all in 25mins.

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't wasted so much money on a new gas cooker now. hmm

Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 13:38:50

Charleygirl5

To give you an idea of what I use mine for and I am no cook- last night it was frozen scampi, french fries and a defrosted corn on the cob.

The French fries take around 10 minutes so they went on first- then after 5 minutes, I added the scampi and the corn on the cob- keeping a beady eye on everything because it is so easy to overcook anything. I used 2 teaspoonfuls of oil for everything. All on 200C using a 4.5 litre Pro Breeze. Perfect.

I wasn’t aware you could add things part way through! Thank you

Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 13:39:24

dogsmother

I now cook my salmon parcels in mine, tastier and much cheaper to use than a full o oven.

How do you do the parcels, using foil?

kittylester Mon 24-Jan-22 13:40:14

Can someone tell me what you can't cook in one please.

Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 13:41:27

Shandy57

I had an M&S veg kiev last night, took 12 minutes. The old oven the seller left me takes ten minutes to heat up, I'm glad to be saving energy.

I'm not doing any cooking from scratch at the moment but I do frozen veg sausages quite a bit, as well as frozen potato wedges. I've just discovered you can cook part baked rolls in it, the timings were on the packet.

I like the idea of cooking part baked rolls, I often use these when I want crust bread.

dogsmother Mon 24-Jan-22 13:42:47

Yes, foil wrapped with lemon, garlic, ginger, chilli, olive oil and or whatever I feel like. It makes a delicious treat.

Teacheranne Mon 24-Jan-22 13:43:02

kittylester

Can someone tell me what you can't cook in one please.

I guess you can’t cook stews or things with liquid - but I could be wrong as I’ve not got one yet! I need to look at the Facebook groups LadyGracie suggested.

dogsmother Mon 24-Jan-22 14:01:29

Kitty I suppose the slow cooker takes over from the air fryer for Some things haha.

Thoro Mon 24-Jan-22 14:10:01

I really must stop looking at GN! I’ve got a weighted blanket on my bed now I’m looking to buy an AF - both because of posts on here!

Gagagran Mon 24-Jan-22 14:16:07

I can't figure out if an air fryer is much different to my halogen - which I use just about every day. It has multiple uses and is very quick too. Easy to clean and cheap to buy and run. Wouldn't be without it.

I have never used or even seen an air fryer so would be interested to hear from someone who has used both and what the advantages of an air fryer are over a halogen.

MiniMoon Mon 24-Jan-22 14:27:32

We've had 3 halogen ovens, but I must say I prefer the air fryer. Its much easier to clean.
You can make a complete meal in the Ninja foodi though. Yesterday I pressure cooked a stew, thickened it with a cornflour slurry on the sear/sautè setting, popped in some suet dumplings and put it on air crisp to finish them off until they were nicely browned and crunchy on top.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jan-22 15:46:43

kittylester you can cook stews and anything with liquid if you do it in a dish that fits inside the air fryer. The Pro Breeze company does not as yet supply one for my specific air fryer but I have been looking on Amazon.

Be very careful everybody as I burnt my finger last night because even the handle is very hot. I was trying to separate the inner pan so I could put the food on to a plate.

merlotgran Mon 24-Jan-22 16:52:26

I use my halogen/air fryer in conjunction with my KingPro electric pressure/slow cooker. They are both quick, give great results and save money.

kittylester Mon 24-Jan-22 17:36:24

What makes do you recommend?

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:46:42

kitty that is a difficult one. I actually spent days researching online because there are so many on the market- I would think thousands. You have to work out how much space you have if any and how many you will be cooking for.

You can buy cheap or very expensive. I bought mine for around £60 in a sale and mine was not made in China- actually within driving distance of where I live. I decided to buy a reasonably cheap one in case for some reason I did not like it. I love it and it has saved me a lot of money because I have not used my large oven since Christmas. For me, it was a very good "starter".

kittylester Mon 24-Jan-22 18:53:43

Thanks Charley!

That is my dilemma - buy cheap to try it and then regret not buying a better one. Or buying an expensive one and it living in a cupboard.

dragonfly46 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:02:33

The disadvantages I have found with the Ninja are it is hard to clean in parts, the slow cooker is poor and it takes up a lot of room.
I use it to pressure cook, make low fat chips, make stews, roast chickens etc.
I had a cheaper one but find this more versatile.

Teacheranne Tue 25-Jan-22 00:36:35

I’m favouring the basic Ninja air fryer which has just one big basket and a grill/crisper thingy accessory. It’s currently £30 cheaper in John Lewis than on all other on line sellers I’ve seen so I’m very tempted.

I’m going to look for a good recipe book though as I fancy trying some different meals other than basic meat and veg.

Hetty58 Tue 25-Jan-22 01:25:40

I have the 'basic' one and you can cook just about anything - as the Ninja air fryer has adjustable temperatures. It's far quicker than oven cooking.

I make a lot of toasted sandwiches in mine, complete dinners - and lovely roast potatoes. I have an Instantpot too so I rarely use the cooker these days. Everything cleans easily in the dishwasher - winner!

kittylester Tue 25-Jan-22 08:28:45

OK, what's an Instant pot do please?

Does a Ninja do, say, a roast dinner all at once or do you have to keep bits warm? Currently, I can cook a whole roast dinner in my tall fan oven all at once.