Gransnet forums

Food

The meal of a lifetime.

(138 Posts)
Sago Sun 30-Jan-22 20:59:47

Today I have been lucky enough to have the “Aulis” experience at L’Enclume in Cartmel.
It was truly out of this world, the most special day in every way.
16 courses of the most intricate and utterly delicious food I have ever eaten.
I feel so lucky and cannot imagine ever topping this experience.
What and where has been your meal of a lifetime.

Lucca Sun 30-Jan-22 21:09:07

I was once invited to dinner at Maxim in Paris (with friends of my parents ) but there had been a fire in the kitchens ! So we went to the Tour d’argent instead. I was 17 at the time so can’t remember what we ate !!
However I’d say that a wonderful meal was in the Cheval Rouge in Chenonceaux which we found by chance at least 20 years ago. Spectacular food and every time we have been within 50 miles we have returned. I remember a lovely seafood dish and a dessert called ceps des moines a mushroom shaped meringue with chocolate on top among other things.

EllanVannin Sun 30-Jan-22 21:20:45

Doyles, Watson Bay Australia. Best seafood dishes in the world.

Urmstongran Sun 30-Jan-22 21:25:04

I still love double eggs and chips. Even on Death Row it would be my meal of choice.

You can take the girl out of Old Trafford ....

Whitewavemark2 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:25:21

How lovely. Which courses were your favourite?

I have only been to this type of meal at our local Hotel. The restaurant is called The Pass, and has different resident chefs over a few months, so the menu takes on a quite different style and flavour each time which is fun.

But tbh we mostly go to the traditional restaurant in the same hotel when we go.

Nothing beats good food I think.

One of my meals of a lifetime was on a Maldives island. We had that evening gone out in fishing boat and caught fish, hauled in lobsters and crab.

We ate them that night with the tables scattered with frangipani on the beach under the stars.

Unforgettable.

janeainsworth Sun 30-Jan-22 21:29:02

Dinner at the Negresco Hotel in Nice.

MiniMoon Sun 30-Jan-22 21:35:20

Tasting menu at Hyem in Wall. The only Michelin starred restaurant in Northumberland. 18 courses of the most sublime little dishes with the juice tasting menu. Everything was presented beautifully, and each course described by the very knowledgeable waiting staff.

It was a 70th birthday gift to my husband from our wonderful children and their partners.

CanadianGran Sun 30-Jan-22 21:35:54

A standout for us was Araxi in Whistler BC. We went for our anniversary, and the meal was fantastic. I can't remember the details since it was quite a few years ago, but I do remember that every bite was sublime. Then the lovely walk through the village to our condo rental. Whistler in summertime is a really nice place to visit.

dragonfly46 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:41:58

Our best meal was an omelette in a little French restaurant after we had battled the wind and rain to put our tent up and it took all the money we had. Truly memorable!

J52 Sun 30-Jan-22 21:52:31

CanadianGran

A standout for us was Araxi in Whistler BC. We went for our anniversary, and the meal was fantastic. I can't remember the details since it was quite a few years ago, but I do remember that every bite was sublime. Then the lovely walk through the village to our condo rental. Whistler in summertime is a really nice place to visit.

We ate there when we were in Whistler, a fab restaurant that we’ve recommended to several friends touring that part of Canada.

Josieann Sun 30-Jan-22 21:58:57

Wow, that sounds amazing! I've just looked it up, 2 Michelin stars no less!
As said, it is sometimes the whole experience. Mine was a pizza by the water in Saint Tropez. This was no ordinary pizza, but a very generous truffle pizza, out of this world!
Otherwise Mere (Monica Galetti), each course a work of art .... and she took us round the surprisingly compact kitchen after!

tanith Sun 30-Jan-22 22:20:32

Champagne breakfast at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, the food wasn’t all that but the view was to die for.

BigBertha1 Sun 30-Jan-22 22:33:59

I have heard good things about that restaurant saga. Mine would have to be dinner under the stars at Governers Camp in the Masai Mara.

Nannagarra Sun 30-Jan-22 22:34:56

Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Oxfordshire. After the meal Raymond Blanc sat and chatted at the table with us then took my sons, aged 12 and 10, into the kitchen and made treats for them.

Mamissimo Sun 30-Jan-22 22:49:05

Nannagarra

Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Oxfordshire. After the meal Raymond Blanc sat and chatted at the table with us then took my sons, aged 12 and 10, into the kitchen and made treats for them.

My favourite food experiences ever there. The best cheese trolley in the world. Mr M and I are taking all our ADC, DGC and Partners for a special meal there this summer with the petrol money we saved during lockdown when we couldn't go to see them.

crazyH Sun 30-Jan-22 23:06:33

The best meal I’ve ever had, was an ‘Onam Sadya’ - 26 varieties of Indian Vegetarian dishes to celebrate the Kerala Onam (Harvest Festival) - made by a good friend of mine, all by herself (with a bit of slicing and chopping by her husband).

Marydoll Sun 30-Jan-22 23:12:16

Mamissimo, what a lovely idea. I would settle for a walk round Raymond's kitchen garden.
I went on so much about it, that my lovely son in law bought me one of his cookbooks.

dogsmother Sun 30-Jan-22 23:14:37

Most interesting was a foodie tour on scooters through Ho Chi Minh city. Amazing food, and what a ride too.

Soroptimum Sun 30-Jan-22 23:19:32

Breakfast at Gleneagles. Just…….. the best ever!

Kate1949 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:20:11

I can't remember. Probably Venice somewhere. However we visited The Palace of Versailles and were starving at the end of the tour. We went into a little cafe and had steak swimming in butter and chips! I love Cartmel Sago.

SusieB50 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:24:11

One of the best meals I have had was a simple but amazing mushroom risotto I had in an Osterei (sp?) in Florence .My DH and I were exhausted after a morning of visiting all the wonderful sights and views, we found this little place in a street near the station before going back to the town we were staying in .We sat at a long table with some lovely local people. No menu, no wine list , just what the chef was cooking that day, but my word it was out of this world. A magical day I will always remember .

J52 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:26:28

Mamissimo

Nannagarra

My favourite food experiences ever there. The best cheese trolley in the world. Mr M and I are taking all our ADC, DGC and Partners for a special meal there this summer with the petrol money we saved during lockdown when we couldn't go to see them.

I totally agree, we had a weekend there in early January, the whole experience was amazing. Hope to go back in the summer so we can see the garden in full bloom.

Cabbie21 Sun 30-Jan-22 23:34:54

A formal dinner in one of the Cambridge colleges. The food was absolutely delicious. It was put on for my choir doing a residential a few years ago.
During the same week DH and I had a lovely meal at a Greek restaurant. What’s more, it was very reasonably priced.

Allegretto Sun 30-Jan-22 23:41:21

Lunch in The Harbour Bar outside Capetown. It is one of my most amazing memories. The food was amazing, the setting was perfect and it came in the middle of the best day out ever!

FannyCornforth Mon 31-Jan-22 00:58:00

I’m not a foodie so can’t really join in, but the thread has reminded me if something my dad told me a few weeks ago, which actually made me cry.
He said that his most memorable meal was fish and chips on a drizzly seafront at Weston Super Mare, together with my late mom and me in my pushchair.
(I’m tearing up now ♥️)