Gransnet forums

Food

Old windable mincer

(35 Posts)
EllanVannin Fri 04-Feb-22 15:05:00

Very likely did end up in the bin Calendargirl.

Calendargirl Fri 04-Feb-22 14:58:08

I think you would find that if the mincer hadn’t been used for a long time, it would probably have gone rusty.

EllanVannin Fri 04-Feb-22 14:49:50

My mum's old mincer would have spiralled because of the attachments it had with it. She used to grate cheese in it.
I don't know whatever became of it sadly.

lindiann Fri 04-Feb-22 14:26:19

I bought one of these from Ebay after my brother said he makes Courgette Spaghetti never tried it though

Baggs Fri 04-Feb-22 14:12:36

Thanks, folks. As it happens I can't find the blasted thing anyway. Can't remember if I gave it away or what. So I won't be mincing vegetables!

The idea only came up because MrB bought a supposedly high quality mandoline for slicing and chopping veg but I've found it almost useless, possibly because it seems to have been made with a big male chef's hands in mind. I find it just too big and awkward and it doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do.

MrB made the same mistake with some handmade, Sheffield steel tailors' shears. I simply can't control them with one hand. Practically my whole hand goes through the lower handle loop! I wasn't going to say anything about that to him because it was a kind thought of him to get them but since the mandoline causes the same too small, arthritic hands problem I thought I better tell him so he doesn't waste any more money on things I can't use ?

ayse Fri 04-Feb-22 10:14:47

Coastpath

The old mincers that you clamped to your worktop are for sale really cheaply (a fiver) at every flea market I go to.

I reckon it will chew the veg right up Baggs. We used to love putting Sunday's leftovers through mum's mincer to make Monday's 'savory mince'. The mincer reduced everything to a pulp. Looking forward to hearing how you get on...if it works I will give it a try.

We don’t seem to have very many flea markets near us. I’ll have to go on a hunt again. I did look for a while but gave up eventually and bought a new one that didn’t work!

Coastpath Fri 04-Feb-22 10:03:28

The old mincers that you clamped to your worktop are for sale really cheaply (a fiver) at every flea market I go to.

I reckon it will chew the veg right up Baggs. We used to love putting Sunday's leftovers through mum's mincer to make Monday's 'savory mince'. The mincer reduced everything to a pulp. Looking forward to hearing how you get on...if it works I will give it a try.

ayse Fri 04-Feb-22 09:59:58

Wish I still had my old fashioned hand mincer. It minced meat really well and just need some elbow grease to function. I think it will probably mince the vegetables though.

I bought a cheap hand veggie processing piece of equipment from Lidl but it wasn’t great. Lakeland products usually work well.

giulia Fri 04-Feb-22 09:53:08

Have never tried - curious to know how it goes. I suspect that it might chew up your veg though.

Baggs Fri 04-Feb-22 09:40:08

Has anyone tried using an old-fashioned, hand driven meat mincer as a vegetable spiraller? And if so did it work?

I'm thinking of having a go with mine later today as the sous-chef mandoline that MrB bought at great expense seems to be too big for my hands/strength. Designed for a beefy man chef, I suspect.