Gransnet forums

Food

Felt sorry for the chef

(56 Posts)
Teacheranne Mon 07-Feb-22 14:13:45

I went out for Sunday lunch yesterday with a group of ten friends. Only three of us did not ask the waitress about dietary needs and when the chef came over to go through some options, he was bombarded with questions.

We had vegan, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, various allergies and something else which I can’t remember. The chef was very accommodating and took lots of notes but had to amend so many dishes in different ways that it must have taken a lot longer to prepare our order. The hardest was a gluten free vegan but she had taken the trouble to phone the restaurant first to make sure her needs could be met.

I really did feel sorry for the chef who did an amazing job as we all enjoyed our meals.

Callistemon21 Wed 09-Feb-22 10:59:22

Pepper59

During WW2 folk had less chemicals and antibiotics in their food. You cannot compare then to present day. Obviously coming from someone who does not realise the agony you can be in having eaten the wrong thing accidentally. For some people it's a matter of life or death. Coeliac disease is serious, google it and educate yourself about it.

???

People end up in hospital and could die young too, if it goes undiagnosed.
It can also cause infertility.

People didn't demand gluten-free simply because it wasn't diagnosed and tests for it are a fairly new thing as many GPs had never heard of coeliac disease even 30 years ago.

AreWeThereYet Wed 09-Feb-22 14:59:35

Our diets are streets away from our parents generation.

Absolutely true. Not just in the products and types of food we eat but the way foods are grown and processed. Also the nutrient content of many foods grown in the UK has changed because much of the farming soil has been drained of minerals due to intensive farming.

Esspee Wed 09-Feb-22 15:29:38

I am aware of, and happily cater for, friends who are coeliac or have other dietary requirements but I also have a vegan daughter-in-law who is coeliac.
I once caught her eating a burger so some people cannot be trusted. Much of it is attention seeking in my view, especially in the USA.

Tizliz Wed 09-Feb-22 15:46:39

I have been seriously I’ll once from my allergy - coconut - it was caused by the replacement dish the restaurant made hurriedly after the first meal they gave me had coconut in, after assuring me it didn’t - luckily I knew from the smell and didn’t taste it. The replacement dish came too quickly so the chicken obviously wasn’t cooked through and I was ill for two days. Perhaps I would have been better with the coconut dish!

Tizliz Wed 09-Feb-22 15:47:48

I changed one I’ll to ill but missed the other one, don’t you just love autocorrect