Gransnet forums

Food

But WHY stick onions with cloves!? (lighthearted)

(28 Posts)
giulia Sat 02-Apr-22 11:15:27

My mother always admired a famous chef called Philip Harben(?) - not sure of exact name anymore. She said she liked him because he didn't just tell you WHAT to do but also WHY? When motives are explained, they are so much easier to remember.

My question would have been "Why, when we are making a broth or certain other meat dishes, do they tell us to stick cloves into an onion? Is it just for tidyness - not to have cloves floating around our dish - or is there some miraculous alchemy that occurs when we stick our cloves into the onion?

I've always obediently followed instructions but have always wondered if it is important to do so or not?

Is this a stupid question?

Lucca Sat 02-Apr-22 22:06:52

Witzend

I’ve never heard of sticking cloves in an onion - except for bread sauce, which I never make anyway.
TBH the only way I like cloves is when they’re stuck into an orange for Ch******s.
Otherwise you can keep them!

I love bread sauce ! I often have it with sausages and Yorkshire puddings……..I also do onion with cloves in a lamb casserole I think it’s Armenian or something.

Susie42 Sun 03-Apr-22 12:40:05

A bit off subject but I had a great-aunt who, if she had made an apple dish and used cloves, would ask us not to suck the cloves so that she could use them again!