Gransnet forums

Food

Tasty Cheese

(97 Posts)
NanKate Sat 02-Apr-22 17:44:24

What is better than cheese ploughman’s with pickle ?

I like Brie but fancy a change, any suggestions please ?

Claretjan Tue 05-Apr-22 14:47:39

Claretjan

I love the shop too. We will be holidaying in the Dales in the summer. My grandma was born in Hawes and remembers taking milk to the dairy as a child. That was long before Wallace and Gromit got involved!

That's a reply to Wizend!

Claretjan Tue 05-Apr-22 14:45:45

I love the shop too. We will be holidaying in the Dales in the summer. My grandma was born in Hawes and remembers taking milk to the dairy as a child. That was long before Wallace and Gromit got involved!

Shrub Tue 05-Apr-22 13:50:08

When I lived in Cheshire we loved Blue Cheshire cheese. Unfortunately it’s only made in one place now and as I am single and on the other side of the country its not worth buying online. ☹️

triciarose Tue 05-Apr-22 13:18:57

If you like strong cheddar, try Davidstowe available at M&S

Witzend Tue 05-Apr-22 10:46:28

Claretjan

My favourite blue cheese is Blacksticks Bue. I like Crumbly Lancashire but creamy Lancashire slices better! During Lockdown I discovered Wensleydale Creamery's online service. Some delicious cheeses and pickles etc and the delivery price is very reasonable.

A sister of mine lives a short walk from the Wensleydale Creamery. I love that shop! We always buy loads to take home.

effalump Tue 05-Apr-22 10:39:06

Vintage or Extra Mature Cheddar, the stronger the taste, the less I need to use a pack lasts 2-3 weeks.

boho43 Mon 04-Apr-22 23:13:09

Another Black Bomber fan here. I can’t resist it.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Apr-22 22:49:12

That black bomber does sound nice.
I'm always wary of trying new things, foodwise, in case I waste money on something I won't like.

NanKate Mon 04-Apr-22 22:32:43

Wow many thanks for these wonderful selection of cheeses, such a great variety.

Black bomber will be my first sampling and then I shall slowly work through some of the others.

Many thanks. ?????

MawtheMerrier Mon 04-Apr-22 22:15:23

DH’s late aunt used to make wonderful nutty Montgomery’s Cheddar (now taken over by her son) . It was an extra treat to be offered sizeable offcuts of cheese to bring home to the extended family after visiting them for lunch at North Cadbury.
What amused me was that among the people they supplied , like Neals Yard Dairy , Waitrose and Tesco’ s Finest, it was also sold on the WI stall at the local Farmers Market!

Mamma7 Mon 04-Apr-22 22:04:05

Norwegian Jarlsberg is wonderful, full of holes with a nutty taste.
Dolceletta is a lovely creamy blue cheese - I don’t like others
Wensleydale Grommit!
Extra mature cheddar
Tbh love most cheeses!

Minerva Mon 04-Apr-22 21:38:08

Caerfilli, Somerset Brie and Gruyère are my favourites at the moment. I’ve probably got 6 different cheeses in the house at any one time.

Claretjan Mon 04-Apr-22 20:12:56

My favourite blue cheese is Blacksticks Bue. I like Crumbly Lancashire but creamy Lancashire slices better! During Lockdown I discovered Wensleydale Creamery's online service. Some delicious cheeses and pickles etc and the delivery price is very reasonable.

TillyTrotter Mon 04-Apr-22 19:47:06

DH loves Black Bomber and usually finds it at market cheese stalls, the local Butchers-come-Deli. sells it and our Garden centre foodie section.
It is usually in those waxed truckles.

Mine Mon 04-Apr-22 19:31:07

Not heard of Black Bomber cheese....Need to be on the lookout for that... Do any supermarkets sell it..??

Nonnadiana Mon 04-Apr-22 17:59:28

Port salut and Austrian smoked cheese

Dearknees1 Mon 04-Apr-22 17:11:27

Not seen Kick Ass Cheddar, Beacon Fell Lancashire or Ossau d’Iraty mentioned yet. Three of my many favourites.

Coco51 Mon 04-Apr-22 16:50:54

Brie with grapes and cranberry sauce. Cream cheese with dates and walnuts.

Serendipity22 Mon 04-Apr-22 16:27:33

Aldi cheese with chilli.

Mmmmmmmmmm... and i am not a cheese fan.

? ? ?

Petera Mon 04-Apr-22 16:23:34

MissAdventure

Blessed are the cheesemakers. smile

Seeing as no-one else has bitten: should this be taken literally, or does it refer to all manufacturers of dairy products?

Shirls52000 Mon 04-Apr-22 16:14:50

**shysal

Cambozola blue brie is my favourite.

Il with you there, absolutely love it ?

GrammaH Mon 04-Apr-22 16:08:41

DH gave me some Stinking Bishop for Christmas. It had been hidden in the shed prior to Christmas morning - it certainly ponged when he put it under the tree, even though it was extremely well wrapped & in an airtight tin! I had to keep it outside! It was delicious though.

Mamma66 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:36:09

Cornish Yarg is delicious as is Somerset Cruncher

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 15:00:40

Sago

Epoisses is a favourite of mine, but if you want to use a British cheese try a Black Bomber.

I also love Epoisses cheese but it certainly does stink the fridge out. I prefer buying a slice from a large round on delicatessen counter.

glammagran Mon 04-Apr-22 14:57:37

Sago

Epoisses is a favourite of mine, but if you want to use a British cheese try a Black Bomber.

I love Epoisses cheese also. Tastes great but very strong smelling. Got some in the fridge atm.