Gransnet forums

Food

Cake

(44 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 03-Apr-22 15:39:44

I want to make a cake for my DS's birthday when he visits next weekend. I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen and haven't made a cake for about 10 years. Any suggestions for something quick & easy please?

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 14:18:36

Ditto to a basic Victoria sponge. Always a winner, especially when not long out of the oven.

I don’t like cream so mine usually has just blackcurrant jam - less over-sweet than strawberry or raspberry.

Best to have soft butter* and eggs at room temp, so if making in the morning, leave them out the night before.

*I often use Stork For Cakes, which is soft anyway, but still quicker to cream if at room temp.

I both grease and line my tins.

Lark123 Mon 23-May-22 14:09:57

H1954

Mary Berry vistoria sandwich............everything into the mixing bowl, beat for two minutes and it's ready for baking. Jam and cream in the middle and a dusting of icing sugar......what's not to love!

Mmmm.... one of my favourites and simple to make too!cupcake

rubysong Mon 23-May-22 14:06:13

The most reliable and time saving cake I have made is a well known brand of cake mix (country carrot). I've made it several times and it always gets compliments. In the past I have spent ages creaming butter and sugar, adding eggs and flour etc. Sometimes they are great, sometimes not.

Tricia2 Sat 30-Apr-22 14:52:33

Get a good quality mix and then sub milk for the water and add some lemon or vanilla. If its a chocolate mix you can sub hot coffee for the water. You can also sub melted butter for half of the oil. No one will ever know its not from scratch.

janni12 Sat 30-Apr-22 13:22:32

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

maddyone Sat 16-Apr-22 14:17:43

I’ve put a picture on the other thread, but here it is on this one too.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Apr-22 12:00:05

My DH too!

maddyone Sat 16-Apr-22 10:48:42

You bet he can’t. He’s a gannet where cake is concerned.

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Apr-22 10:43:44

maddyone

I also don’t allow Mr M to open the oven door unless I’m going out and then I give strict instructions about when and how, otherwise he flings the door open which can cause the cake to sink in the middle if it’s not yet set.

He just can't wait to eat it ??

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Apr-22 10:43:05

Yes, it does cook quicker.
My dual fan/conventional oven blew up when still under warranty!

maddyone Sat 16-Apr-22 10:41:58

I also don’t allow Mr M to open the oven door unless I’m going out and then I give strict instructions about when and how, otherwise he flings the door open which can cause the cake to sink in the middle if it’s not yet set.

maddyone Sat 16-Apr-22 10:39:57

Yes, I agree. It took some time before I adjusted to using a fan oven. I keep the temperature much lower and that’s usually okay. My main oven isn’t a fan oven, but I only use it for long bakes like Christmas and simnal cake. I use the top oven (the fan oven) for all other baking. Keeping the temperature lower seems to work along with regular checks. If it’s going a bit too fast I cover the top with baking paper to prevent burning. Also I turn the cake to help keep the baking even.

JaneJudge Sat 16-Apr-22 10:36:13

oh maybe it's that then as I always use the fan oven

Callistemon21 Sat 16-Apr-22 10:31:15

maddyone

I bake a lot and make all our cakes. It’s really not difficult, use something like a Mary Berry cookbook or just look up a recipe on the internet. If you can read ( and you can or you wouldn’t be on here) then you can bake. Just follow the recipe.

I do find I've had some disasters since I had a fan oven.
My last oven was dual, fan or conventional and I always turned off the fan for baking.

JaneJudge Sat 16-Apr-22 10:16:23

I am a really good cook but I am terrible at baking

maddyone Fri 15-Apr-22 23:01:03

I made a simnal cake this week, but I’ve not put the top layer of marzipan on yet, nor the apostles or else Mr M would have already been eating it. I’ll do it tomorrow so it’ll be ready for Easter Sunday.

maddyone Fri 15-Apr-22 22:59:19

I bake a lot and make all our cakes. It’s really not difficult, use something like a Mary Berry cookbook or just look up a recipe on the internet. If you can read ( and you can or you wouldn’t be on here) then you can bake. Just follow the recipe.

MiniMoon Fri 15-Apr-22 22:26:23

I don't bake very often, but today I made a strawberry gateau, well my version of it anyway. It was lovely. My son is coming for lunch tomorrow and asked if we could keep him a slice as he enjoyed the slice he had today.

Mapleleaf Fri 15-Apr-22 22:22:40

I hope whatever you decided to bake turned out well, grannyrebel7. Lots of good ideas were suggested ?.

Mapleleaf Fri 15-Apr-22 22:21:07

Goodness me, a message deleted on a thread about cakes. I can only imagine they were trying to advertise something!

JaneJudge Thu 14-Apr-22 08:50:16

victoria sponge is my favourite

arya12151 Thu 14-Apr-22 08:48:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

arya12151 Thu 14-Apr-22 08:46:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

annodomini Tue 12-Apr-22 20:12:49

It depends on your DS's tastes. My DS2 is vegan, so it's risky to bake for him; the other DS is a qualified chef (though otherwise employed now) so it would be a waste of time to cook for him. When they were kids, I made my take on Black Forest gateau with chocolate victoria, black cherries and a little Kirsch.

CanadianGran Tue 12-Apr-22 19:47:44

Yes, always eager to hear results...hope it turned out nicely.