Gransnet forums

Food

Chorizo

(44 Posts)
Allsorts Sun 10-Apr-22 19:22:17

On impulse I bough a whole ring of Chorizo but don’t have any idea of what to do with it. I like pasta and rice dishes, spicy. Thankyou,

Mamissimo Sun 10-Apr-22 19:27:03

Jambalaya! ?

Tusue Sun 10-Apr-22 19:32:58

I love potato’s bravos with chorizo ,look on any online recipe for ideas .

MawtheMerrier Sun 10-Apr-22 19:50:54

Did you mean patatas bravas ?

Blossoming Sun 10-Apr-22 19:59:45

I like it in omelettes, on pizzas, in burritos, in stir fry, in risotto, in bean stews or soups.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Apr-22 20:01:18

It would be nice in a cheesy pasta dish.

62Granny Sun 10-Apr-22 20:04:18

I have used it with pork pieces in a lovely stew with tomatoes and paprika , as a topping for White fish fillets - blitz with a slice of white bread and press into the fillets bake for about 25/30 mins . I have also chopped it up fried it till the paprika runs a bit add some chopped fresh tomatoes and a splash of wine or water a simmer till the tomatoes have started to break down and serve with pasta. I would normally use about a 1/3 of the ring for 2 . I keeps for weeks in the fridge.

Grannynannywanny Sun 10-Apr-22 20:05:05

My grandchildren love it in a cheese toastie.

TerriBull Sun 10-Apr-22 20:08:02

I love Jambalaya and Patatas Bravas although I haven't put chorizo with the latter, but that would make an interesting twist I imagine.

readsalot Sun 10-Apr-22 20:12:38

Thickly slice chorizo and fry in a pan. Remove to one side and cook chicken pieces, sliced onion, sliced peppers and fry in the oil until cooked. Return chorizo to pan and add a little water and thicken with cornflour if desired. Serve over boiled rice. Yum!

Marydoll Sun 10-Apr-22 20:14:09

Fry off some finely chopped onions and the sliced chorizo (hardly any oil needed ), add a small jar of Aldi's roasted pepper and tomato sauce, heat through, when ready add some cream, serve with pasta and some optional flat breads to soak up the sauce, if desired.
A great standby dish, with hardly any effort.

or
Get a large roasting tin, add sliced chorizo, chopped garlic ( optional) halved par boiled baby potatoes, sliced pepper, chopped onion, mushrooms, baby tomatoes and any other, lying at the bottom of the fridge veggies, toss in a little oil with seasoning, cover in tin foil and roast in a moderate oven for about thirty minutes, or until ready.
One dish, no fuss. If you wanted, you can add some cheese at the last minute.
I first tasted this in a seminary in Spain, it was delicious.

Hithere Sun 10-Apr-22 20:21:40

You can eat it as is

muse Sun 10-Apr-22 20:51:36

I've made these chorizo and apple sausage rolls a few times.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chorizo-apple-sausage-rolls. Very easy as most of it is ready made items.

Chorizo freezes well.

Auntieflo Sun 10-Apr-22 22:04:30

Am I the only one who really doesn't like chorizo?

Sussexborn Sun 10-Apr-22 22:09:39

If we’ve got some in the fridge I often add it to home made soup.

BigBertha1 Sun 10-Apr-22 22:13:31

I put it in paella and chilli

Redhead56 Mon 11-Apr-22 09:39:44

Chorizo gives a nice colour and flavour to many dishes it’s one of those things you either love or hate. I use it in a Polish soup Kapusniak a Hungarian stew goulash and a brunch dish shakshuka. It’s also delicious with lots of garlic for Spanish prawns.

kittylester Mon 11-Apr-22 09:42:30

Auntieflo

No, you're not, Auntieflo!!

henetha Mon 11-Apr-22 09:47:44

I find it a bit tough. Am I cooking it wrong?

Soroptimum Mon 11-Apr-22 09:53:00

A family favourite is Delia’s Chicken Basque. Delicious!

Redhead56 Mon 11-Apr-22 10:09:40

It's best if whole sliced very thin and fried it then softens it and releases the oils.

timetogo2016 Mon 11-Apr-22 12:17:29

I don`t either Auntieflo.
Far to fatty for me.

Liz46 Mon 11-Apr-22 14:10:31

Mamissimo

Jambalaya! ?

Thank you for reminding me about Jambalaya. I used to make it but haven't had it for ages.

Liz46 Mon 11-Apr-22 14:11:11

Soroptimum

A family favourite is Delia’s Chicken Basque. Delicious!

Totally agree.

Witzend Tue 12-Apr-22 09:49:21

Auntieflo

No!
I’ve only used it once, for some Spanish stew thing I’d been intending to make for a long time.
The amount of fat that came off when I was frying it (as specified in the recipe) coupled with the very strong smell, absolutely turned my stomach, and I’ve never bought or touched any since.
It’s a fashionable ingredient now, though.,