Gransnet forums

Food

Food we think we like but don't.

(118 Posts)
Grandmabatty Mon 02-May-22 18:49:17

Every so often, I get a craving for hotdogs with fried onions and mustard. When I eat them I'm always disappointed. The sausage is never as nice as I expected. Does anyone else have a food that lets them down? Needless to say, this is a bit lighthearted. Chocolate rarely lets me down. ?

activerelaxer Tue 03-May-22 08:07:56

Chocolate. I really only want a couple of pieces but always end up eating more and feeling sick. I’d rather have a biscuit.

Kalu Tue 03-May-22 08:14:58

Coffee, a decent one, is not part of our culture and a waste of money ordering one from venues whose trademark is their coffee.
Ordering one in France or Italy is night and day compared to what is on offer here.

Kalu Tue 03-May-22 08:22:41

Grandmabatty, A glass of chilled Chablis at our next meet up sounds good. Slainte ?

Grandmabatty Tue 03-May-22 08:23:19

Kalu definitely!

Gingster Tue 03-May-22 08:29:04

I’d love to love wine but I can’t! A nice big glass of red but I only manage a few sips . White wine is a complete no no! . I really have tried. ?

Pasta is so appealing but after a few mouthfuls , uninteresting and boring. It doesn’t matter what I put with it. ?.

sodapop Tue 03-May-22 08:38:24

Nothing specific but I look forward to a restaurant meal then it arrives - a huge plateful which immediately puts me off eating it.

henetha Tue 03-May-22 10:33:39

Pizza. Most people seem to rave about it, but I find it disappointing.

H1954 Tue 03-May-22 10:39:32

Any fruit crumble at a pub meal..........looks appealing but so disappointing and nowhere near as good as my own.

timetogo2016 Tue 03-May-22 10:40:13

I agree henetha,i would rather have cheese on toast.
I love a banana but they seem tasteless these days.

lixy Tue 03-May-22 10:42:43

With you on the disappointment of chocolate cake soupy, often looks so much better than it tastes.
Not at all keen on synthetic cream either - those ice-cream sundaes look amazing but not with squirty cream.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-May-22 10:42:56

I thought I like every type of fish- until I cooked and tasted Grey mullet? it was ghastly.

henetha Tue 03-May-22 10:44:00

Yes, timetogo2016, bananas just aren't the same as they used to be. Nor are apricots for some reason. I agree about cheese on toast, it's the best snack of all! smile

Antonia Tue 03-May-22 14:06:48

Kate1949

Tomatoes. I eat a lot because I am told they are good for me. They taste of nothing, apart from the lovely ones abroad.

When we lived in France we grew lots of tomatoes, they actually tasted of tomato. UK tomatoes are simply not the same.
In fact, a lot of UK veg tastes very similar, whatever it is. I wouldn't like to do a blind tasting, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one vegetable and another.

dragonfly46 Tue 03-May-22 14:12:40

Donuts - I like the look of them but always wish I hadn't bothered after I had eaten one.
I do like Champagne though as well as Chablis and Sauvignon Blanc and .......

EMMF1948 Tue 03-May-22 14:20:50

Kate1949

Tomatoes. I eat a lot because I am told they are good for me. They taste of nothing, apart from the lovely ones abroad.

You need to find a better supplier, or grow your own!
My late mother would love to stand in the greenhouse and inhale the smell of the warm tomatoes in Summer but she couldn't eat them as they made her ill!
I've been trying for 50+ years to like yoghurt, I think it's a bit like not liking God, but I have never found one that didn't make me gag,

Beanutz2115 Tue 03-May-22 14:24:24

Yoghurt is a thing that I have tried to like, but now I have to admit it’s unpalatable, overly sweet and give me indigestion.

paddyann54 Tue 03-May-22 15:20:42

Antonia you need to get your hands on some Scotch tomatoes ,like most scottish soft fruits they are second to none .Fabulous flavour ,there used to be acres of greenhouses in Lanark when I was growing up ,not so many now .We buy them from a market stall and never buy enough to last the week because they are so delicious

Casdon Tue 03-May-22 15:27:01

I know what you mean Kate1949. I’ve never seen Scotch tomatoes here in Wales, but I do love the little Italian piccolo tomatoes, which they sell in some supermarkets. I’ve never managed to find piccolo seed in the UK though, and when I tried to grow my own from the fresh tomato seeds they didn’t work which was disappointing.

Ailidh Tue 03-May-22 15:30:00

Galaxy let me down the other day (but it was a gift, so I struggled personfully on ?) but Cadbury's Dairy Milk never does.....?

Grannyeggs Tue 03-May-22 15:31:32

I agree on chocolate and wine- never let me down. The thing I sometimes fancy, but very rarely have is a nice juicy steak, but when I do it’s neither nice or juicy but tasteless and does nothing for me, I end up giving it to DH.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 03-May-22 15:56:22

I think that my name tells you all you need to know about what I like. ... sophisticated people like blue cheese, but I think that it tastes of mould( funny that )

grannyrebel7 Tue 03-May-22 16:04:06

Yoghurt I always want to like all those little pots of different flavour but I just don't. Full fat Greek yoghurt I love though.

Grandma70s Tue 03-May-22 16:05:04

Beanutz2115

Yoghurt is a thing that I have tried to like, but now I have to admit it’s unpalatable, overly sweet and give me indigestion.

It’s not too sweet if you have natural yoghurt, in fact not sweet at all!

I am almost always disappointed by salad. Looks pretty, but I am not a rabbit.

Esspee Tue 03-May-22 16:06:54

I used to grow different types of tomatoes but Gardener’s Delight was so superior in flavour that towards the end of my tomato growing days I grew them exclusively.

I don’t like Pizzas, such a cheap nasty apology for food with a huge markup.

Esspee Tue 03-May-22 16:10:33

Beanutz2115

You are eating the wrong type of yoghurt Beanutz. Find some live natural unflavoured yoghurt. The Collective does a wonderful one. You can buy it in Waitrose.