Gransnet forums

Food

Platinum pudding - is this a joke?

(149 Posts)
Kate54 Mon 16-May-22 19:32:13

I thought I might have a go at making the winning recipe in this competition come the time. The brief included ‘must be easy to make at home’.
Are they mad? Who in their right mind would make from scratch the Swiss roll, the lemon curd, the custard and the amaretti biscuits?
The mandarin orange coulis (from a tin) is doable but the rest?
I’m waiting for the trifle sponge version.

Callistemon21 Mon 16-May-22 22:03:28

I've made lemon curd but I wouldn't be putting my home made lemon curd in as trifle to share unless with family.
The Hairy Bikers' recipe is good but so is posh bought lemon curd
And proper fresh vanilla custard from a supermarket.

NotTooOld Mon 16-May-22 22:32:16

I think I read it had eleven eggs in it. No, I won't be making it. Waitrose or MnS will come up with a ready made one and I might try that.

Kate1949 Mon 16-May-22 22:46:25

A lady on This Morning did the recipe with all shop bought ingredients. It looked lovely.

M0nica Tue 17-May-22 08:41:27

Isn't it ironic that at a time when inflation is surging and more and more people are struggling to make ends meet, that the recipe for the Platinum pudding, apart form being fiddly to make, whether from original ingredients or buying in swiss rolls etc is very expensive.

I have just been looking up the recipe for Coronation Chicken, the eponymous recipe devised for the Coronation in 1952, and while chicken was an expensive meat then, like buying a joint, the rest of the ingredients were qutite ordinary and the recipe was quick an easy to prepare

henetha Tue 17-May-22 09:33:34

I quite fancy making a cheapy version. A lemon swiss roll, then lemon jelly, (or orange) topped with a jar of lemon curd and whipped cream.
Would that work?

Kate1949 Tue 17-May-22 17:00:42

That's what the lady in This Morning did henetha. Shop bought everything. It looked delicious.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 17:20:13

I have just been looking up the recipe for Coronation Chicken, the eponymous recipe devised for the Coronation in 1952, and while chicken was an expensive meat then, like buying a joint, the rest of the ingredients were qutite ordinary and the recipe was quick an easy to prepare

Chicken was more expensive than beef or other joints when I was a child and we didn't eat it often. I don't remember chicken being sold jointed, it was always a whole chicken or capon so a whole one would have to be purchased.

Almonds, apricots had been rationed or unavailable so perhaps were still scarce
Mayonnaise would have to be home-made and as for curry powder! Not many people used that (although my mother did).
Red wine, not many had a wine rack back then.
Creme fraiche - what's that? ?
As for olive oil - that was kept in the bathroom cabinet and used for putting down ears

So Coronation chicken would have been a luxury with unusual expensive ingredients in 1953 I think.

M0nica Tue 17-May-22 17:35:00

Callistemon I get your point. But the original recipe called for whipped cream, not creme fraiche, and I suspect a lot of people used salad cream rather than moyonnaise.

As for curry powder. it could be bought in small pots from Boots. many people forget that Boots started off as herbalists and certainly in the 1950s, most branches of Boots had a section that sold dietary foods for diabetics and gluten free food. They also had a quite a range of herbs and spices. When people laugh at Boots selling olive oil as only a cure for blocked ears, this si wrong. It was sold on the deli counter so to speak.

i can remember my mother going to Boots for curry powder and paprika in the 1950s. We had returned from a posting in Singapore and she cooked curries to recipes given her by our Chinese cook. Her need for paprika was because when she bought her new Prestige pressure cooker, it included a recipe book that had a recipe for 'Hungarian Goulasch - and that needed paprika.

Kaggi60 Tue 17-May-22 17:43:56

Cost a arm and leg to buy things I just do my own trifles what are cheaper than shop brought.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 17:52:19

As for curry powder. it could be bought in small pots from Boots. many people forget that Boots started off as herbalists and certainly in the 1950s, most branches of Boots had a section that sold dietary foods for diabetics and gluten free food. They also had a quite a range of herbs and spices. When people laugh at Boots selling olive oil as only a cure for blocked ears, this si wrong. It was sold on the deli counter so to speak

Yes, I remember that now, in fact I still have some spoons I bought from Boots for my bottom drawer, which an aunt suggested was an essential for every girl. That's as full as the bottom drawer got, a pity really because they are good quality.

Olive oil was strictly kept in our medicine cabinet!

I don't know where Mum bought her curry powder.
The Co-op? Or Liptons.

foxie48 Tue 17-May-22 17:53:33

My neighbour is having a Jubilee tea and I've said I'll take the trifle, just don't know ATM how many people are going. I think it's fun to make something completely different for a special occasion but I'm buying the lemon curd and amaretti biscuits. I'm not sure I want to make the mandarin orange jelly, as I don't like jelly in trifle, I might make a coulis instead.

Callistemon21 Tue 17-May-22 17:58:26

You could make two- one with, one without?

I'm not volunteering to make a trifle

M0nica Wed 18-May-22 08:50:25

Yes, it is nice to make something special for a big event, but it doesn't need to be something very complicated to make.

I cannot see this recipe lasting down the years and still being made 70 years from now in the way Corontion Chicken is.

nanna8 Wed 18-May-22 08:55:40

I made a Yule log for Christmas which involved rolling up the warm baked chocolate cake mix in a tea towel and mucking around with cherries and cream. Have to say they all loved it but I told them to make the most of it because I’d never go to that much trouble again. Very fiddly.

ElaineI Wed 18-May-22 09:20:48

Haven't seen recipe but don't like sounds of ingredients so wouldn't make it. None of family like trifle anyway if that's what it is. Home made lemon curd is nice though.

FannyCornforth Wed 18-May-22 09:25:27

By the time you’d finished it you’d be sick of the sight of it.

I often feel that way about things that I’ve made, and won’t eat them.

I made a huge, beautiful fish pie once, and then had cheese on toast for tea.

My mom, who trained as a cook, said that the best ones were either extremely thin or extremely fat.

Visgir1 Wed 18-May-22 09:27:27

Orderd a Swiss Roll tin just arrived, easy to make, though haven't done for years. Lemon curd easily made in Microwave.
Custard, yep no problem.... Rest from the shops I'm ready to go now!

henetha Wed 18-May-22 09:30:45

The Queen's Jubilee weekend would be a good time to make it I think, so I'll gather the ingredients by then .(for the cheapy version) I don't have to eat it all myself; one of my sons has dinner here every Sunday at the moment. He'll eat it . smile

Aveline Wed 18-May-22 09:57:14

Looks like it would serve 6-8. I might even break the habit of a lifetime and actually make it.
Coronation chicken became mainstream. A lemony trifle could too. I hope so.

vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 10:13:33

Might look pretty but sounds really sickly - a recipe for diabetes with all that sugar.

Yammy Wed 18-May-22 10:32:51

FannyCornforth

By the time you’d finished it you’d be sick of the sight of it.

I often feel that way about things that I’ve made, and won’t eat them.

I made a huge, beautiful fish pie once, and then had cheese on toast for tea.

My mom, who trained as a cook, said that the best ones were either extremely thin or extremely fat.

I know exactly what you mean Fanny. I often make special things when the family are visiting and then don't eat them myself the last being a chocolate pavlova with cherries and a cherry coulis. My mum was a cook as well and let me make the mince pies and Christmas cake from a very young age, she'd had enough at work.
Another poster has pointed out how deep it is and what a mess after someone dives to the bottom I can imagine my lot. Looking at it you would have to remove a portion put it aside then put it back on top of the last portion.
The other thing that struck me was for the first time since school days the Fotunam chief pointed out you tare the paper from the middle not an edge to stop it crumbling. Thank you Miss Scott at least she taught me something.
I don't think the pudding will last the time the victoria sponge has. Too difficult and too many elements that might not suit everyone.
The time it will take for each element will take a day. We can all make custard but who does these days?
I won't be spending a day and another washing all the preparation utensils, just to have someone say yuck tinned mandarins and that person might be me. Too much like 50's Sunday teas with the dreaded tinned cream.
Then to top it all you have all the other things like sandwiches and sausage rolls etc. I think any supermarket that makes a near resemblance will make a killing.hmm

Aveline Wed 18-May-22 10:40:31

I particularly like the lemony nature of this pudding. I dont think it would sickly at all. I suppose it depends on what ingredients you use.

GrammarGrandma Wed 18-May-22 11:22:35

Since I don't like sponge cake, lemon curd or trifle and jelly isn't vegetarian, I won't be making it or trying it. But, too be fair, most "puddings" are too sweet for my palate.

annodomini Wed 18-May-22 11:25:59

Of all the entries to this competition, I thought that this trifle was the least practicable. Jubilee parties will either involve everyone contributing to the buffet, or bringing along their own and eating only that. How to serve this trifle? A cake could have been cut into portions and, wouldn't have been half as messy to serve. I wondered if some retailers would devise a system of individual portions, the way many of them present tiramisu - my greatest temptation!

jaylucy Wed 18-May-22 11:27:32

You can buy a lemon curd swiss roll from I think M&S , custard is available ready made in tins or you can use good old Birds and Amaretti biscuits are available from most supermarkets.
What's the problem ?