Gransnet forums

Food

Platinum pudding - is this a joke?

(149 Posts)
Kate54 Mon 16-May-22 19:32:13

I thought I might have a go at making the winning recipe in this competition come the time. The brief included ‘must be easy to make at home’.
Are they mad? Who in their right mind would make from scratch the Swiss roll, the lemon curd, the custard and the amaretti biscuits?
The mandarin orange coulis (from a tin) is doable but the rest?
I’m waiting for the trifle sponge version.

simiisme Wed 18-May-22 19:59:44

That looks amazing!
I watched the programme and it was my favourite dessert as it was the easiest to make from ready made elements.
Plus I love lemon flavoured puddings.

Mrsgranny Thu 19-May-22 19:14:49

@susan56 Great ? I’m sure he’ll love it.

Franbern Fri 20-May-22 12:39:49

Did wonder if any thought was given to food allergies. Surely, that should have been in the original instructions for making such a pudding.

This one contains nuts (so many people allergic to these), gluten (in swiss roll, (lots of people cannot have this)
. and lemon (citrus) also causes many people to have problems.

Would have thought in 2022, any nationwide competition for a new food item should have taken into account this sort of thing.

Aveline Fri 20-May-22 13:41:04

Can people not take personal responsibility for what they eat? If all recipes tried to meet all possible allergies we'd end up eating semolina (with no milk of course!/

annodomini Fri 20-May-22 14:13:22

I spotted a lemon Swiss roll in the 'deli' section of a local garden centre, so it looks as if the market is responding to the recipe. No, I wasn't tempted!

GrinningGrandma Fri 20-May-22 14:48:37

Lidl do one of the nicest Lemon Swiss rolls in their deluxe range. I am going to make my version of the Platinum pudding won’t be exact but using Lidls sponge .
My favourite trifle is one I have been doing for over 30 years when required. 2 Jamaica gingerbread if covering bottom and sides of dish.. 2 tins. mandarin oranges,
custard & fresh cream. I don’t use jelly as family don’t like it. One tin of oranges strained placed on top of gingerbread then some of the strained juice just too moisten the gingerbread, custard then set in fridge. Cream on top then other tin of oranges decorated on top of cream

Kate1949 Sat 21-May-22 12:11:19

My strawberry trifle is a family favourite here.
Sliced jam Swiss roll, sliced strawberries on top, then strawberry jelly, then strawberry blancmange, then custard, whipped double cream, decorated with strawberries and crumbled chocolate flake.

Aveline Sat 21-May-22 12:29:59

These all sound lovely!

NemosMum Sun 22-May-22 11:40:46

Mrsgranny that looks fab! As they say - the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and you all enjoyed it. Well done to the young Liverpool lass who devised the recipe and to you for making suitable substitutions to suit your family. I think this is what the judging panel anticipated. I will be making my own version for fun (remember that miserabilists?), and I have no doubt that the republicans in the family will enjoy it just as much as the royalists.

CPL593H Sun 22-May-22 13:16:56

MrsGranny, yours looks wonderful!

I do think the original recipe sounds like it was devised for a ducal kitchen circa 1910, where a brigade of cooks would be available to make sponge and custard etc, without it taking all day. The saving grace is the ready made cheats but I'm not sure if all that chocolate would really add anything except too much sweetness.

Also, not really getting a Platinum vibe, I'd add a few silver
almond dragees (or the little silver ball things that were as hard as rock! grin)

Blossoming Sun 22-May-22 16:11:45

Right, I’ve found a trifle I can make, even one handed. It would be easy to swap the Jelly for lemon flavour and the strawberries for raspberries.

tinyurl.com/Traditional-English-Trifle

Callistemon21 Mon 23-May-22 10:42:03

Just looked at your recipe Blossoming and agree with this part:

You could pour over some sherry at this point if you were feeling that way inclined. ?

I usually make two at Christmas, one with and one without sherry for children or those who don't drink.

It has to be raspberries, though!

Callistemon21 Mon 23-May-22 10:44:04

^or the little silver ball things that were as hard as rock! grin

CPL593H
My mother used to sprinkle them over the iced Christmas cake - they could crack your teeth!

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 10:57:09

Those balls: They’ve got a really odd name, which has slipped my mind.
They were almost lethal.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve been banned!

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 10:59:12

Silver dragees

luluaugust Mon 23-May-22 11:06:37

I would guess you can buy GF swiss rolls, anyway you could always make one.

MawtheMerrier Mon 23-May-22 11:23:34

You could pour over some sherry at this point if you were feeling that way inclined. ?

Or just drink it.

Aveline Mon 23-May-22 13:25:16

I was in M&S today. Lots of Jubilee cakes etc but no sign of that trifle. Disappointed.

Franbern Fri 10-Jun-22 10:00:18

The only time I ever made swiss rolls was for the christmas log. Plain cake mixture, then when cool filled and covered with whipped double cream mixed with chocolate powder.
Always enjoyed and never lasted long. One of my daughters still makes this each year. Simple, easy to make and delicious.

During the first Lockdown I started to make chelsea buns. At first I made up my own lemon curd the night before I made the cakes - but as time went on - discovered that the jars (and the cheap ones), were better for these.

I do enjoy trifle - - but always consider that it should be a really quick and easy dessert to make up - cake (of some sort), soaked in sherry. Jelly, some small fruit, custard (made up microwave from powder), whopped cream and some decoration.

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Jun-22 10:11:09

My DD’s friend had a go. Took two days and cost almost £40. It was “OK”.
I made Nigel Slater’s St Clement’s trifle (used bought lemon curd ) . Lemony, sherry, and very good. One could add ratafia biscuits.

Nannytopsy Fri 10-Jun-22 10:18:23

Forgot to say the custard is replaced with lemon posset.

aonk Fri 10-Jun-22 12:49:24

I made the Platinum trifle for a party at my DDs last weekend. I used all the shortcuts except that I made the chocolate bark and orange coulis myself. I bought lemon Swiss rolls from M and S. It went down very well. Tasted light and refreshing. Of course it’s possible to everything from scratch but you have the shortcut option as well. I don’t know what’s not to like!

Shirleyw Sun 12-Jun-22 05:22:56

I also made the shortcut version, Waitrose lemon Swiss roll, Also bought lemon curd as extra for Swiss roll ,Hartley jelly , made the clementine coulis and shards but bought Tesco finest custard and the amaretti ……oh and halved the ingredients as it was for 10 not 20 ….very nice it was too……..