Gransnet forums

Food

Fried liver and onions recipe please

(19 Posts)
Sophiasnana Wed 18-May-22 23:09:44

I havent cooked lambs liver for years, and always used to stew it in gravy, but my husband has a craving for fried liver and onions. Anyone have a failsafe recipe for this please?

Shelflife Thu 19-May-22 00:11:19

I haven't cooked liver for ages ! Has to be lambs!! I would soften lots of onions in a frying pan , coat the liver in flour - helps to thicken the gravy. Add liver to onions , pour in hot water and add oxo cube/s or gravy granules. Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of Worcestershire sauce . Simmer gently till cooked . I would serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables of your choice - enjoy!

MiniMoon Thu 19-May-22 00:35:04

I usually make the Hairy Bikers recipe.
Here is a link to it.
www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/liver-and-bacon-with-onion-gravy

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-May-22 06:27:57

We had it this week! Absolutely delicious.

The trick with lambs liver it to flash fry it to keep it meltingly tender.

I do avery simple recipe. Fry onions until caramelised, add a spoonful of flour, I use cornflour as it makes a smoother sauce. Then add lamb stock until you have a smooth gravy. I fry the liver very quickly in another pan - sometimes with bacon - then serve with the onion gravy. Always have buttery mashed potatoes and a couple of veg in season.

kittylester Thu 19-May-22 06:59:07

That's more or less how I do it ww. I would usually add a shake of balsamic vinegar or Henderson's relish to the onions.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 19-May-22 07:10:46

Oh forgot the balsamic?

foxie48 Thu 19-May-22 09:03:33

Definitely agree on the flash frying of the liver. I cut it into quite thin slices, coat lightly in seasoned flour and fry off very quickly in the pan I've used to caramelise the onions. Let it rest while you make the gravy, I deglaze the pan with a little red wine, thicken with some flour and add a stock (I use a stock pot) with a little redcurrant jelly. I'm also a fan of buttery mashed potatoes and I also love a crisp cabbage with it. I think if you cook the liver in liquid it makes it hard and rubbery.

foxie48 Thu 19-May-22 09:07:48

Just to add, I like to fry off some good smoked streaky bacon with the liver. I make extra mashed potato, cabbage and bacon and make potato cakes by flaking the bacon and mixing it all up. Topped with an egg it makes a lovely lunch the next day.

asadkhan890 Tue 24-May-22 10:07:36

I usually make the Fried Liver and onion recipe.
Here is a link to it.
cafesmokers.com/

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 10:13:31

I love this one.

henetha Tue 24-May-22 10:19:56

Absolutely lovely cooked in the oven. Liver, onion and bacon, topped with sliced potatoes.

M0nica Tue 24-May-22 10:57:50

I love liver - and kidneys and eat them regularly and have a whole array of recipes I use for both, but traditional live, bacon and onions take a lot of beating.

tonynelson Wed 15-Jun-22 18:38:55

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ShazzaKanazza Wed 15-Jun-22 18:45:30

Ooh we’ve not had liver and onions for ages. I’m going to get some lambs liver. DH likes some left over so he can have it over chips with white bread and butter lol.

Blondiescot Wed 15-Jun-22 18:48:56

I used to loathe liver ever since I was a child, but was persuaded to try it in Turkey and loved how they do it there.

joewalker Sun 19-Jun-22 05:58:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BigBertha1 Sun 19-Jun-22 06:30:52

I love liver and bacon but DH hated so I buy the meal for one from M and S

Spinnaker Sun 19-Jun-22 06:32:42

Reported - the correct link for Hairy Biker's recipe is upthread.

Spinnaker Sun 19-Jun-22 06:34:26

Sorry BigBertha1 not you smile