Gransnet forums

Food

Food phobias

(75 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 22-May-22 15:32:02

Ok, not phobias, but weird dislikes.

One of mine is not liking pasta. I like spaghetti, but don't like any other shape of pasta. Something to do with the shape or texture in my mouth.

Daft I know.

Dickens Sun 22-May-22 22:18:31

MissAdventure

Corned beef.
I had a horrific happening with some corned beef years ago.
Over 30 years, but I can still remember it.

... I've always avoided corned beef because of stories about what goes into it (which may or may not be true).

Do tell MissAdventure...did you find something 'nasty' in it

Dickens Sun 22-May-22 22:20:07

... there was meant to be a ? at the end of that sentence but I posted too quickly...

lixy Sun 22-May-22 22:24:09

A friend can't eat grapes - even dried as raisins.
She's just fine with wine though! grin

Jane43 Sun 22-May-22 22:27:40

I can’t stand pesto or pork scratchings, the former because of the taste and the latter because of a story about what happens to it when it is being made.

MissAdventure Mon 23-May-22 04:10:39

Meat, really.
I'm a reluctant veggie sort, these days.
I was always picky about meat, since I learned what it was made of, but was threatened not to "start" as a child when it was dinner time.

Now I'm older, I can "start" as much as I like, with the result that I only really eat chicken breast every 2 or 3 months.

I'm sure the corned beef incident helped along the way...

BigBertha1 Mon 23-May-22 07:05:09

Parsnips and beetroot are the work of the Devil. Mayonnaise makes me feel ill and anything tasting or smelling of mint makes me physically sick.

Ailidh Mon 23-May-22 07:07:57

I have none. "Sadly," she reflected as she started diet #483.....

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 07:43:49

MissAdventure, we're all waiting to hear about the corned beef incident!

H1954 Mon 23-May-22 08:07:55

Olives, cockles, winkles, mussels, squid, white savoury sauces, noodles, salami, tripe, snotty eggs, stinky cheese, processed cheese...............the list is endless but mainly all of the above make me heave.
Even the sight of someone eating something like a beef burger with a cheese slice on it makes me shudder.
I don't care for corned beef either.........Dad opened a tin when we were camping many years ago and we found what looked suspiciously like cows eyelashes in it! ???

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-May-22 08:16:23

The smell of meat cooking on a barbecue is truly horrible to me.
Seared flesh... ugh!
Makes me retch. The worst thing about warmer days in my opinion.

denbylover Mon 23-May-22 08:22:46

Parmesan and coriander, simply can’t do them, fortunately both are easy to avoid.

ginny Mon 23-May-22 08:37:55

Tomatoes. I like the flavour but can’t bring myself to actually bite into one.

Mussels and oysters. Slimy, reminds me of a hankie when you have a bad cold. ( Sorry)

SPAM. I wouldn’t give it to the dog.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 23-May-22 08:39:46

BigBertha, my daughter's antipathy to bananas means I can't kiss her if I've eaten one. She's my youngest, and my other children's first food was mashed banana.
She rejected it time after time. Only when I tried something else, received with enthusiasm, did the penny drop...

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 23-May-22 08:42:11

Espee and Aveline, perhaps we could start a Porridge Haters Anonymous group.

Aveline Mon 23-May-22 09:21:35

Och I'm all for live and let live Chocolatelovinggran maybe we could start a chocolate loving support group?

Kate1949 Mon 23-May-22 10:00:55

I couldn't eat a fried egg or a runny egg of any description. Or a prawn. Yuk.

paddyann54 Mon 23-May-22 10:07:09

Fowl of any type...anything that has/had feathers .Haven't eaten chicken since I was about 2 so I was told .I'm scared of Birds ,the flapping wings concern me.
I do feed the birds daily,and love to watch them ,even rescue them from the mouths of my cats now and then .I couldn't eat them though ,boak!

MaizieD Mon 23-May-22 10:13:42

I can't bear egg yolk in any state of part cookedness.. it has to be hard or not at all.

Desiccated coconut in anything. Likewise almond and coffee flavouring.

Banana ripe or cooked; a hangover from the disgusting banana custard served at school dinners.

These all make me gag. There are other foods I don't particularly like, but not to gagging point grin

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 10:14:34

Slimy uncooked egg white is revolting. Why so many people are happy with it on top of a fried egg, I will never understand.

I can’t bear any meat fat (except very crisped up streaky bacon fat), cream, full cream milk, or any milk on its own.
Loathe the taste of fennel.
But that’s it.

PinkCosmos Mon 23-May-22 10:15:25

Mangos - they just smell like sick to me

Uncooked cheese - it made me ill as a child but it was only discovered after I had been ill several times. My grandma looked after me whilst my parents worked and used to give me my tea before my parents came to collect me. I would be ill in the night quite often. Took a while to put two and two together and work out it was the cheese I had been given for tea that was making me ill.

Philippa111 Mon 23-May-22 10:23:10

I just can't eat prawns, snails, oysters, mussels, squid, tripe, kidneys and eggs and salmon that aren't organic( I know how they are produced)

AlfredoWoolum Wed 13-Jul-22 12:54:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

AlfredoWoolum Thu 14-Jul-22 07:31:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

JackyB Thu 14-Jul-22 09:49:34

Wow! This thread is an eye-opener! I agree on the pasta, but have to cook and eat it a lot as DH and DGC all love it.

I'm well and truly in the beetroot camp. Awful stuff.

I love eating spinach and rhubarb but they both leave a horrible feeling on your teeth and I have to go and clean my teeth straight away.

Any foods I can't bear to touch (not many these days, I've hardened up!) I wear those thin latex gloves to make it bearable.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-22 10:21:17

A lot of these are not phobias at all. They are allergies and digestive incompatibilities.