Gransnet forums

Food

Drying fruit and vegetables

(6 Posts)
timetogo2016 Mon 20-Jun-22 19:07:10

We have a Tower 5in1 cooker.
It has an oven,grill,air fryer,rotisserie and a dehyration setting.
All work well,cheap to run and fun to play with,so to speak.

Maggiemaybe Sun 05-Jun-22 19:07:13

We never seem to have excess fruit. DH hauls it in from the allotment, or the market out of season, and it’s gone in no time. Even the apples and rhubarb, which we have by the bucketload, get stewed and frozen, but never linger for long. As for homegrown tomatoes, they’re way too delicious not to eat with just a sprinkle of salt and sugar while they’re still warm from the greenhouse. Perhaps I’m we’re just too greedy.

Mamie Sun 05-Jun-22 18:34:17

I have a Lidl one. We use it for excess fruit from the garden. Figs, apples, pears, cherries and even strawberries get chopped up and added to our home-made muesli mix.
We also do mushrooms.

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Jun-22 12:28:35

My daughter has one. She uses it a lot for the tomato glut, apples and if she wants to make "fruit leather".
I know she uses it for vegetables too but it seems to me best for items you have too many of. She has dried wild mushrooms when she's found way too many to cook at once.
I don't think I have the patience anymore to do all the chopping/peeling but I suppose it's no harder than bottling...

PollyDolly Sun 05-Jun-22 12:13:00

I'm interested in these too H1954, will be watching this thread.

H1954 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:58:09

Has anybody be got any experience with dehydrators? I know there's several different brands out there but wondered if any GNetters have used one?