Gransnet forums

Food

Ideas for salads please

(66 Posts)
Dizza25 Sun 03-Jul-22 13:02:50

Hi everyone, not very innovative when it comes to salads. Tend to just use leaves/lettuce, cucumber, radish, tomato and spring onion chopped or sliced up. Any ideas for more interesting salads? As a side dish or as a main. They can’t include grains - rice couscous etc as DH is allergic but can handle lentils. TIA.

teabagwoman Mon 04-Jul-22 07:36:05

Grateful for all the good ideas here, I’ve got rather tired of basic salads too. Have found that strawberries and blueberries work well in salads as do toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds. I’m experimenting with mixing various flavours into the dressing.

25Avalon Mon 04-Jul-22 08:56:16

If you like vinaigrette there are loads of different flavoured oils you can experiment with. I mix walnut oil with cider vinegar for a nutty taste. There are also different vinegars like raspberry you can mix with plain olive oil. Have a go.

TillyTrotter Mon 04-Jul-22 08:59:02

Greek salad drizzled in balsamic glaze is a favourite in my house. Crumbly Feta cheese, mixed olives, and some torn coriander give it the essentially Greek flavours.

grandMattie Mon 04-Jul-22 09:06:29

I occasionally make a salad of shredded fennel, oranges and red onion. With salt and pepper, good oil and balsamic…. Delicious!

Jane43 Mon 04-Jul-22 09:08:02

Waldorf salad is a favourite of ours - mix together celery, walnuts and apple with mayonnaise and we sometimes add raisins or pieces of chicken.

hollysteers Mon 04-Jul-22 09:33:49

My favourite is large prawns, fresh pineapple slices with the usual tomatoes, greenery, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.

kircubbin2000 Mon 04-Jul-22 12:26:29

Dr Amir has a nice one if you like beans. Chop cucumber, tomatoes,red onion and chillie.Add tin of chickpeas and whatever beans you like. Add lime juice and 5 tbsp tamarind sauce.

Theoddbird Mon 04-Jul-22 12:26:52

Peppers and sweetcorn go in my very colourful salads.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 04-Jul-22 12:37:33

Ours vary according to what's in the salad drawer but a quick way of adding a bit of extra taste is to add some shredded fresh herbs - I added basil, coriander and mint to ours this week and enjoyed them. Quick to do if you don't want to be cooking and cooling things in advance and are trying to avoid dressings on them.

ninamoore Mon 04-Jul-22 12:42:52

Definitely add some herbs, parsley, basil etc maybe Gresham’s ginger grated over the salad. Croutons.

Brigidsdaughter Mon 04-Jul-22 12:45:50

I'm new to salads - very grateful for this thread. From a friend:
Grated carrots, apple, sultanas/raisins, Baharat, chopped walnuts/any nuts.
I'm avoiding calories so barely any mayo, usually v little oil

schnackie Mon 04-Jul-22 13:04:13

Wonderful ideas! I've taken lot's of notes! grin

Riggie Mon 04-Jul-22 13:10:45

Pack of brown or green cooked lentils is very versatile. Last week I added some chopped garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and a splash of extra vjtgin olive oil. Salt and pepper. I just guess quantities!!

Butbin the last Ive added chopped up spring onion, tomato, cucumber or different herbs. Anything really!!!

Are chickpeas OK??
Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas, put in a bowl and smash them up a bit with a potato masher. You are aiming for broken up pieces of chickpea with some still in halves or even whole.
Add in finely diced celery, cucumber, red onion, herbs of choice. I then chop up some pieces of sundries tomato in oil and add those and then tip in some of the oil tonjelp bind it together. It's great as a salady type thing or in a sandwich. (Its what vegans often call mock tuna. Not st all fishy though).

Otherbfavourites here are salad nicoise or a panzanella.

pce612 Mon 04-Jul-22 13:18:05

Crispy bacon, avocado, spinach, lambs lettuce in a walnut oil dressing.

vintageclassics Mon 04-Jul-22 13:25:48

I use tinned sweetcorn, diced cucumber (with the middle seeds bit hollowed out) grated carrot, red pepper chopped up lettuce mixed with some light mayonnaise - it's yum

I also do small chopped up florets of raw cauliflower & broccoli with diced cheddar again mixed with light mayo

Cambia Mon 04-Jul-22 13:27:17

Grated carrot with chopped apple, delicious and healthy.

nanna8 Mon 04-Jul-22 14:05:19

Great ideas here ( or should I say ‘grate’!) will definitely try some

Maggierose Mon 04-Jul-22 14:25:06

Grated carrot and apple some nuts and pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds. Doesn’t really need a dressing but try your favourite mayonnaise

rowyn Mon 04-Jul-22 14:39:15

Agree with Nana8 - love watermelon salad.

win Mon 04-Jul-22 14:44:40

My salads are lettuce, avocado and grapes as the base then anything else available such as oranges, pears, apples, carrots, cold veg of any kind pasta and rice. I always top with French dressing, humous and grated cheese. Wonderful. Live on them

readalot Mon 04-Jul-22 15:32:50

You could add celery, courgette, peppers,grated carrots and cheese for a change

Mallin Mon 04-Jul-22 15:39:44

Tin of black kidney beans
Tin of sweetcorn.
Red peppers or mixed coloured peppers
1.Empty black kidney beans into a colander and wash under cold water until all traces of original liquid from tin have gone. Place in serving dish.
2. Empty sweetcorn into colander and do same.
3. Slice open peppers. Remove pips and white bits. Slice thinly and chop smaller. Pop into serving dish with kidney beans and sweetcorn. Mix up a bit.
Eat!!!!!!!
If serving with pork chops, add chopped up sweet apple to ingredients or/and currants which you should wash in colander then soak in fresh water for minimum of an hour. But only with pork. Added apple and current mix not suitable for things like burgers, sausages or similar. Basic recipe learnt from German friends.

coastalgran Mon 04-Jul-22 16:29:07

Be lazy buy ready prepared from M&S or Sainsbury or any other supermarket, they all do them.

Mrsdigitalis Mon 04-Jul-22 17:00:55

Croutons flavoured with sumac add interest

Grammaretto Mon 04-Jul-22 17:22:31

These all sound so yum! I was going to mention grated carrot and sliced orange and a few sultanas but I think someone did and beetroot with orange too.
Then good old potato salad with spring onions and mayo.
Tomatoes are getting good again coming into season so you can't beat sliced toms in a French dressing with basil leaves.