Gransnet forums

Food

Still on the subject of not cooking do you ever have a take away ?

(144 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 24-Jul-22 11:20:32

We just never have and probably never will as I worry about the quality of the food and the salt and sugar in the meals and grudge the prices charged . I see so many young couples on TV programmes about reducing the cost of food who have them several times a week . The only ones we ever had was 45 years ago when we lived in the north of Scotland and a lovely Indian man made curries in his home and delivered them to be reheated. We used to order a mild and a medium and mix them but my DBIL lived with us for a while and he always had a hot one. The chap delivering them ( also the maker of the curries ) asked me one day who ate these hot curries. I told him and he replied that he wished he could eat them himself but they were too hot.

TerriBull Tue 16-Aug-22 13:39:52

Not a fan of takeaways we have occasionally, Waggamamas or Indian, something is lost in the transportation imo. I prefer to either cook or go to the restaurant

Doodledog Tue 16-Aug-22 11:50:32

gangstergranny

Never, begrudge the cost and hate to think what rubbish they put in them.
Sadly my 3 adult children do indulge in takeaway's.....

Why would there be rubbish in takeaways?

We get them from local restaurants, and the meals are the same as the ones they serve inside - you buy off the same menu. I really don't understand the prejudice against takeaways. Yes, they cost more than cooking from scratch, but if cost isn't the consideration why be sad that your children eat them - takeaways are not all burgers, chips and kebabs grin

Norah Tue 16-Aug-22 11:31:56

No, we scratch cook.

Witzend Mon 15-Aug-22 12:27:23

We had ready meals 2 days in a row recently, because it was just too effing hot for me to remotely feel like cooking.

It’s a fairly rare thing here though.

LtEve Mon 15-Aug-22 08:54:45

We have a pizza sometimes, normally DD when is over. She is the queen of discount finding through Just eat so it’s much cheaper generally. During lockdown our local family run Italian did takeaways from their main menus so we had on once a week to support them. Now the children have left home we don’t have takeaways often but may have a Chinese a couple of times a year. I prefer to go out to eat.
We generally eat out at least once a fortnight more likely once a week.

goose1964 Mon 15-Aug-22 08:34:37

We have them very occasionally. Our home town has a superb Indian takeaway and as we're now caring for my MiL who has dementia we can't have family meals in a restaurant a takeaway(delivery) is our only choice.Luckily there's a good Indian here that delivers

gangstergranny Fri 29-Jul-22 16:12:29

Never, begrudge the cost and hate to think what rubbish they put in them.
Sadly my 3 adult children do indulge in takeaway's.....

M0nica Thu 28-Jul-22 19:55:08

Daftbag1 If we get fish and chips, we just pop them in the oven for 5 or 10 minutes, still in their wrappings.

Alternatively get the meal delivered, it will be delivered from an insulated bag - and again most meals will come back to temperature if put in an oven for few minutes, without any deterioration.

Daftbag1 Wed 27-Jul-22 17:29:55

Oh I wish, I sometimes dream about having a Chinese, or Indian takeaway, or fish n chips, no pans to wash, no cooking. I would love to have a takeaway, but our closest shops are 20 minutes away. So no way they would still be hot by the time we got them home.

Dreams!

Esmay Wed 27-Jul-22 09:29:33

Very rarely.
It's fish and chips from the local takeaway .
Then it's a heavy dose of Gaviscon !

I have to admit when shopping in the larger town nearby I'm tempted by Burger King .
I really love their hamburgers . If not that treat then it's a cake from Patisserie Valerie - the only commercial cakes that I like .

Riverwalk Wed 27-Jul-22 08:38:08

If someone would deliver a crispy bacon & brown sauce sourdough toastie, right this minute, I'd be a happy bunny! smile

HowVeryDareYou Wed 27-Jul-22 08:22:32

We occasionally get an Indian takeaway from a local restaurant. It's the only type of cuisine we have as a takeaway.

katy1950 Wed 27-Jul-22 08:02:18

Fish chips and mashy pea about once every 2 months delicious

glammagran Tue 26-Jul-22 22:53:53

We don’t eat many takeaways as there are no good Indian ones in this area and I can’t accept a mediocre one. We have lived near excellent takeaways in the past. The Chinese ones here are even worse. However we have had deliveries from Côte Brasserie during lockdown and very much like Ding Dong Dim Sum who deliver nationwide. They give you a disposable 2 tier steamer to cook the dim sum in.

Pittcity Tue 26-Jul-22 22:14:48

Happysexagenarian

Only Fish and Chips very occasionally from our mobile chippy. It's absolutely delicious and so fresh. I'd like to have it more often but it has got very expensive now.

We don't eat any other takeaway foods, don't really like them. Our AC eat takeaways frequently, I don't know how they afford them. The pizzas are huge and half of it gets thrown away.

Who throws away pizza? It gets eaten the next day for breakfast, lunch and tea here!!!

Doodledog Tue 26-Jul-22 22:06:17

In the interests of research, I have just had an Indian takeaway that cost me £24 delivered.

That was for Aloo Chat, Chicken Tikka Pathia, Onion Pilau and a Peshawari naan.

Mr Dog didn't want one, but if he had the price per person would have come down, as the delivery was £5 (up from £3 the last time I ordered from there?) and there is a bag charge and a surcharge for paying by card - all of that is per order, rather than per person, and is, of course waived if you go to collect it. I couldn't be bothered tonight, as we've just got back from being away, and I was busy sorting washing and ordering groceries to be delivered tomorrow.

That will last for three meals, as I ration the calories - tonight's supper and lunch and dinner tomorrow, unless I share whatever I make for Mr Dog - in which case I will have it for lunch again on Thursday, so it's not as bad value as it seems, and there was no fresh food in anyway.

chrissie13 Tue 26-Jul-22 21:52:53

Tizliz

I know I am behind the times but I can't get my head around paying £35 for a Chinese takeaway for two in our village - the next nearest is nearly 20 miles. I think I could cook a nice fillet steak for that money.

Wow that's expensive! We have a Chinese takeaway about every 2 months, and it costs just over £12 for 2 of us.

4allweknow Tue 26-Jul-22 21:41:07

Very rarely and when I do it's delivered from a prestigious hotel located only a mile away. Menu is limited (about 10 choices) but good.

Deedaa Tue 26-Jul-22 20:46:38

I've lived in the same place for 22 years and have been really lucky with very good fish and chips and chinese take aways. Never had a bad meal from either of them. the chippy does a pensioner's special so I have on about every three weeks, the Chinese is more expensive so probably only two or three times a year.

Missiseff Tue 26-Jul-22 20:32:39

No. Too full of fat and salt

Jaxjacky Tue 26-Jul-22 20:31:16

annifrance loved those evenings when we lived there, Marche Gourmand in our village, music too. In latter years we had African curries as well as the local fare, lovely memories.

jerseygirl Tue 26-Jul-22 20:29:50

ohhh yes!! about twice a month. Its such a treat. We usually have them at the weekend. We use a Chinese take away that delivers. They are always freshly made and piping hot.

varian Tue 26-Jul-22 19:44:20

About twice a year we might have takeaway fish and chips - usually at the seaside.

Otherwise I cook everything from scratch. We have never had cooked food delivered to the house.

Some people must have a lot of money to order cooked food. Surely it is always more economical to buy ingredients and cook at home?

silverlining48 Tue 26-Jul-22 19:28:29

We don’t get takeaways or deliveries, or buy pre cooked from the supermarket fir the microwave. Everything is cooked from scratch. I like going out to eat though, lunch and dinner, so don’t feel deprived.

JaneJudge Tue 26-Jul-22 19:01:44

we hav them when we need or want to