Gransnet forums

Food

A special vegetarian dish please…..

(45 Posts)
Poppyred Sat 13-Aug-22 11:37:14

Any suggestions? Nothing complicated! ? Sister coming to stay soon and I’m always at a loss as to what to cook for her - apart from veggie lasagna and veggie spag bol ?

Judy54 Sat 13-Aug-22 14:46:49

Here's one you might enjoy Poppyred

Mediterranean potato and vegetable bake recipe:

potatoes thickly sliced

aubergines, courgettes and peppers roughly chopped

50g pine nuts

1 tablespoon of oil

2 tablespoons of pesto

cook potatoes, vegetables and pine nuts in a large roasting tin at 200C/400F/gas mark 6 for 20 minutes until tender. Stir in the pesto and cook for a further five minutes. Serve and enjoy.

The advantage of this recipe is that it is all cooked in one dish.

I hope that you like it.

Lathyrus Sat 13-Aug-22 14:50:29

wellbeck

No, I can’t say I’ve noticed. I obviously mix with the carnivore section?

welbeck Sat 13-Aug-22 14:56:11

i'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere, but i'd better not pursue it.
cheerio.

62Granny Sat 13-Aug-22 15:52:50

Buy some ready rolled puff pastry , unroll it on to a baking sheet, you can leave the grease proof paper underneath score a border about an inch in around the side spread cream cheese over it and top with a selection of tomatoes that have been tossed in some pesto, (I like different colours and sizes) bake at 180/200 gas 6/7 for about 20/25 mins till the pastry on the border has risen and browned. Make sure the baking sheet has been warned in the oven for a bit first as the underside will be a bit undercooked otherwise. Serve with salad etc.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Aug-22 16:01:59

Aubergine parmigiana is a good seasonal dish.

Poppyred Sat 13-Aug-22 16:03:25

Thank you very much Sago and everyone else for your recipes. ?

Grannynannywanny Sat 13-Aug-22 16:21:27

I’ve just had a good read through all the recipe suggestions on this thread. They all sound really tasty. I’m going to hold onto them for future reference. Thank you everyone for sharing them.

Blondiescot Sat 13-Aug-22 16:56:35

62Granny

Buy some ready rolled puff pastry , unroll it on to a baking sheet, you can leave the grease proof paper underneath score a border about an inch in around the side spread cream cheese over it and top with a selection of tomatoes that have been tossed in some pesto, (I like different colours and sizes) bake at 180/200 gas 6/7 for about 20/25 mins till the pastry on the border has risen and browned. Make sure the baking sheet has been warned in the oven for a bit first as the underside will be a bit undercooked otherwise. Serve with salad etc.

I do various variations on this - it's also nice with roasted vegetables (whatever kind you like or happen to have lying around), mixed with the pesto and cream cheese. Caramelised onions and goats cheese works really well too, as does brie and cranberry.

Judy54 Sat 13-Aug-22 17:10:57

No Welbeck none of my vegetarian friends are gay/bi they are all heterosexual. What a strange concept like saying someone who eats meat can't be gay! It's not about being open to alternatives. Being gay/bi and/or vegetarian are quite the norm and acceptable in society today.

welbeck Sat 13-Aug-22 17:52:05

it is not like saying someone who eats meat can't be gay. that's not what i said at all.
i was talking about people i have come across.
but you sound like you want to start an argument, and i don't.

Hithere Sat 13-Aug-22 18:00:00

Veggie cooking is so easy - same as omnivore cooking but exclude the meat and meat based broth

Add beans and veggies instead of meat.

Lots of meat substitutes available in the market

Judy54 Sun 14-Aug-22 13:17:24

Interestingly none of my Gay friends are vegetarian. One of our closest friends is Gay and He is the kindest, sweetest person you could ever hope to meet. He would be the first person I would call in an emergency. Whether someone is a carnivore or a vegetarian does not matter to me it is all about the friendships we share.

62Granny Sun 14-Aug-22 13:24:12

Yes and me I do one with butternut squash, cooked pureed and mixed with soft blue cheese ( I like San Agur) then very thin slices of butternut squash on top dotted with blue cheese also creme cheese and cooked salmon with asparagus layered on top.

M0nica Sun 14-Aug-22 13:35:20

There are so many vegetable currie available it is impossible to list them all. Just try a google search for recipes. A favourite main curry for me is aubergine and paneer curry, with a second veg only curry, possibly ourgette to acommpany it. the curry can be to taste from mild to strong.

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 14:52:54

I have posted this on here before but I make this a lot - it is truly delicious and VERY easy! All my adult children have asked me for this recipe. It's best eaten warm but cold is good and so is hot.
Don't skimp on the olive oil but it's really not a fussy thing and looks fab.

How to make THE BEST Greek Spinach Pie / SPANAKOPITA

Here is the YouTube video that I use:

youtu.be/eUTVesSFows

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 15:01:31

Have taken 2 screenshots of the Spanakopita

Fernbergien Sun 14-Aug-22 15:25:07

That Greek spinach is delicious. I do cheat a bit. Use frozen spinach squeeze liquid out , cheddar if necessary and also add lightly fried onions and raw spring onions. Delicious

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-22 15:58:31

In this version you don't cook the spinach first. I like this way best (and it's really quick and no mess!). This one is probably better with fresh spinach Fern as it stays very fresh tasting and light rather than "thick" like some spanakopita versions. - Have you tried this particular one with frozen spinach please? Would be interested to know if it was much heavier?

Jade12 Mon 15-Aug-22 08:04:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.