Gransnet forums

Food

Another Airfryer, Alternative Oven One ?

(58 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 16-Oct-22 08:51:27

Hello
If you have one of the above, can you tell me which one you have, and what you think of it please?

I’ve looked at the other Airfryer thread, and can’t see many names mentioned.

I’m not terribly well educated when it comes to cooking really, so all information is helpful.

I definitely want one, but there’s so much choice out there.
Thank you! smile

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 10:35:41

TopsyIrene06 - I’ve just had a look for you and found it on Am***n and Boots.

toscalily Tue 18-Oct-22 11:47:29

I'm considering buying an Airfryer but have not decided which yet. Just noticed Currys have the Ninja 9-1 on offer for £179, for anyone interested, seems the cheapest at the moment. Think it might be too big for our needs. Does anyone own a Corsori as they get good reviews too.

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 11:55:24

toscalily if you read through the threads on GN about air fryers, you’ll find nearly every person advises to buy a model which is bigger than you think you’ll need as it won’t be.
Our DS and his wife borrowed our 11 litre Tower Xpress Pro for a week to try it out. We all agree, it’s too small for their family of four tbh.

Dempie55 Tue 18-Oct-22 12:02:29

I actually went as far as purchasing one off Amazon. When it arrived, there were SO MANY dreadful warnings on it, that I was too scared to use it, and I just sent it back!

The instructions said that the surface of the fryer would get very hot, danger of burning; don't put it under a cupboard, your kitchen might go on fire; danger of worktop being melted if used for a long time; danger of water getting into it - might blow the electrics..... there was just so much that could go wrong!

DaisyAnne Tue 18-Oct-22 12:02:59

I have a Tower and it's great. It won't last for ever as I use it a lot. I only put my large oven on for a big bake. I would buy a bigger one next time, but this is great for one and was a good basic introduction to them.

If you have one, do check out what bits of it will go in the dishwasher.

DaisyAnne Tue 18-Oct-22 12:04:11

Nannagarra

toscalily if you read through the threads on GN about air fryers, you’ll find nearly every person advises to buy a model which is bigger than you think you’ll need as it won’t be.
Our DS and his wife borrowed our 11 litre Tower Xpress Pro for a week to try it out. We all agree, it’s too small for their family of four tbh.

Is it the Xpress Pro in your picture Nanna?

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 12:09:47

Yes DaisyAnne. Eleven litres, three shelves, rotisserie.
Dempie - mine’s on an open section of the worktop, sits in two table mats (cork sides facing each other) so there is no heat transference and it glides a few inches from the wall when being used. Job done!

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 12:10:40

On two table mats.

toscalily Tue 18-Oct-22 12:19:06

I have one of those thick (reinforced?) glass work top savers that I always sit the slow cooker on when in use. That also sits under the wall cabinets and as others do, just pull out when in use. I would expect to do the same with an Airfryer. Nannagarra. Thank you will go and read the other threads. I'm only just coming round to the idea of an air fryer having heard so much about them and then a relative bought one recently and is very impressed.

Nannagarra Tue 18-Oct-22 14:39:16

toscalily having the mats beneath it allow it to glide across the worktop. Prior to that it juddered when I pulled it forward from the wall to use it. Like a microwave it is heavy and requires space for ventilation.
I watched 1pizza2many use and evaluate various ninjas. He’s excellent. The dual drawer appealed to me but DH was swayed by the rotisserie on the Tower. He pressed the buy now button! I’m very pleased with the purchase.

martinking Wed 19-Oct-22 06:35:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Ashcombe Wed 19-Oct-22 07:03:39

Dempie55: DH says all those dire warnings are issued at the behest of the company lawyers to protect the manufacturer from being sued. Such warnings seem to accompany most electrical products these days.

I have a Tower air fryer which I use several times a week. It’s very versatile and it’s fun to try things in it. Yesterday, it cooked some rashers of bacon perfectly, with the fat draining through the basket. My instructions specifically advise against putting it in the dishwasher.

welshchrissy Wed 19-Oct-22 07:49:13

Our local large Tesco had the tower air fryers and their own make which is very similar on sale this week so I think stocks are getting more available again. I have been using one for years and wouldn’t be without it. It’s amazing what you can cook in it just experiment if it doesn’t work put it down to experience but they do cook a variety of food.

Gingster Wed 19-Oct-22 08:10:21

I bought my Tower air fryer from Argos about 4/6weeks ago.
It was £57. I thought I’d go basic and see how I got on.
It’s brilliant for 2 people.
I baked a sponge cake, cheese scones, a whole small chicken,
Pork chops, sausages, chips, roast pots , home made sausage rolls and lots more.

My oven broke down a while back and I haven’t missed it at all.
I’ll have to get it fixed before Christmas. Won’t get a large turkey into my air fryer ?.

Goldbee Wed 19-Oct-22 08:13:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Floradora9 Wed 19-Oct-22 22:00:37

Right can anyone advise me on this please. I am looking at the Ninja Flip which air fries and lots of other things. My thinking is that it can be tipped up and take up less room as my kitchen worksurfaces are pretty full . Looking at the wattage of this it is 2400 wats a good bit more than the usual air fryers does that mean it will cost mre to run ? I have a combination oven microwave and it's wattage is less . I would like to think this Ninja would save me money but would it really ?

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Oct-22 14:02:18

May I remind people please that some air fryers need to be heated up. Mine, a Peo Breeze, requires 5 minutes. Last night I cooked Tempura prawns with French fries for 15 minutes including heating time. The vegetables were done on the hob because I had no more space. Delicious.

Rakib Fri 21-Oct-22 08:01:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Rakib Fri 21-Oct-22 15:51:32

Greyduster Fri 21-Oct-22 15:55:03

That’s the one I have nannagarra.

Elegran Sun 23-Oct-22 09:25:16

I've just seen this BBC article
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63317138 comparing the cost of cooking with an air-fryer and a conventional oven.

choughdancer Sun 23-Oct-22 11:51:59

As a result of the Gransnet forums, I bought what I thought was a Tower air fryer, but a Daewoo one arrived!

So far I think it is brilliant, as when I use it I've watched my smart meter and after a very short orange, it goes back to green very quickly, which it never did when I was using my main oven.

I'm vegan so can't comment on cooking meat/fish etc, but I've cooked sweetcorn cobs; sausages, whole small squashes and wedges of larger ones; roast cauli and other veg; toasted nuts and seeds; chips; baked potatoes. I wanted to make aquafaba mayonnaise and only had frozen AF and it thawed it in minutes. Last night I made kale crisps, and I'm looking forward to using it for much more. It has been a game changer for my electrical/gas use, and speed of cooking!

Grantanow Sun 23-Oct-22 13:01:33

We have a single drawer Cosori which seems fine. Very good for small meals as others say. I've not tried a whole chicken but it would take a smallish one. More economical on electricity than our main oven but like most appliances you have to experiment a bit to get the time and temperature right. I never put the drawer in the dishwasher. It's nonstick and a a quick hand wash seems enough.

toscalily Thu 27-Oct-22 15:37:11

For anyone interested in buying a Ninja AF160UK Max Air Fryer John Lewis now have them back in stock. After being unavailable at Currys, AO, Argos & JL I put myself on the email notification list of all of them but just went to look at the websites and low and behold back in stock, didn't get an email yet confused

RedRidingHood Thu 27-Oct-22 16:30:37

I think the name is misleading. I think of it as a mini oven or grill, I don't do chips in it as I prefer them deep fried but anything you would roast, fry or grill does very well. My big oven has seldom been used since I got the air fryer. Mine was £30 from Aldi, it's small but enough for two people and goes in the dishwasher.