Gransnet forums

Food

Another Airfryer, Alternative Oven One ?

(57 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 16-Oct-22 08:51:27

Hello
If you have one of the above, can you tell me which one you have, and what you think of it please?

I’ve looked at the other Airfryer thread, and can’t see many names mentioned.

I’m not terribly well educated when it comes to cooking really, so all information is helpful.

I definitely want one, but there’s so much choice out there.
Thank you! smile

sf101 Sun 16-Oct-22 08:59:02

I hate cooking but recently bought an air fryer - Instant Vortex Mini - it is great for one or 2 people.
I am now working my way through the freezer and doing more cooking as it is so easy and quick.
Would highly recomend.

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Oct-22 09:11:09

Mine is a Pro Breeze and I love it. It was made in NW London and not China!

Fanny I hope others will come along with "do not buy" because some are quick to lose their nonstick property even with very careful cleaning. Mine is fine and dishwasher-proof. Make sure you have space to accommodate the size because although light you will not want to be moving it around. Mine gets roasting hot so I have protected the worktop surface. Have a look in Currys but buy a bargain on Amazon!

Grandmabatty Sun 16-Oct-22 09:25:19

I have a Tower air fryer. I got it as a present from my daughter and I really like it! It's quite small and has one drawer so ideal for me. It makes fabulous chips and roast potatoes. I haven't tried anything more adventurous yet.

Esspee Sun 16-Oct-22 09:27:16

I was unconvinced we would use one much as we rarely have fried food but OH, spurred on by his brother was very keen.
Having decided on what features were important to us, e.g. it had to be see through so we could tell when things were ready without opening it, not too enormous as we have a small kitchen, front opening like a microwave and able to cook a small joint or chicken. That left us with a very small choice of appliances, all extremely expensive.

I suggested we buy one second hand to experiment and resell if we didn’t find we used it enough. Once we were experienced if we liked it we could buy one with the features we found useful and resell the first one.

Patience on Gumtree paid off just over a week ago when we found a Russell Hobbs Express Airfry Mini oven for £45.

I have left it up to OH to use it and so far he is really pleased. We haven’t used it to fry anything yet but as an oven it heats up really quickly and cooks in half the time. We can use our smaller casserole and pie dishes and view progress without losing heat. The only negative so far is that the oven surface gets warm, I thought it would be better insulated but it heats the kitchen I suppose.

OH is still pleased and enthusiastic, long may that continue.

Sago Sun 16-Oct-22 10:01:11

I have an Instant Pot 11/1.
I use it for slow cooking, air frying,pressure cooking,steaming and grilling and it will do more.
My range is almost redundant.
I am a very keen and dare I say accomplished cook, it gets 5 stars from me.
I can sauté all the ingredients for a casserole/tagine/curry in the instant pot then put it in a pressure cook setting and leave.
The results are amazing and all in one pot.

MiniMoon Sun 16-Oct-22 10:55:01

I have 2 Ninja products. The original 7 in 1 ninja foodi electric pressure cooker. It has an air fryer function and also a bake/roast function amongst others. I also have the ninja foodi max pro health grill which also has an air fryer function. I use them both weekly, sometimes daily. My oven has been used once in about 6 weeks.

twiglet77 Sun 16-Oct-22 11:03:00

Can any users comment on the ease of cleaning, do they take a lot of dismantling?

boho43 Sun 16-Oct-22 11:33:42

I have a Ninja - one drawer. Excellent quality.
It is so easy to clean - either soak it in Fairy for a short while or bung it the dishwasher.

FannyCornforth Sun 16-Oct-22 11:36:47

Thank you everyone.
This is great; really helpful.

Charley I have two pro breeze fans and they are absolutely excellent.
I had no idea that they were made here ?

Aldom Sun 16-Oct-22 11:45:28

Ninja dual drawer for me. Bought in April and I have not used the conventional oven since. I can produce a delicious meal, ie chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips in 16 minutes, excluding preparation. Green vegetables go in the microwave, cook to perfection in 3.5 minutes usually. Anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked in the Airfrier. I belong to a Facebook group for airfrier recipes.

Greyduster Sun 16-Oct-22 12:02:07

I have a Tower Air Fryer oven with shelves. It’s brilliant - I don’t know what I would do without it now. A quick wipe out with a soapy cloth after use and it’s good to go. Couldn’t be easier. Recently I’ve cooked canelloni in it, chicken parmigiana, fish pie. No end to its talents (not sure about mine?).

Ro60 Sun 16-Oct-22 12:09:00

Thank Fanny ? I've just been looking at reviews on-line & am now totally baffled. ? I'm thinking of getting one today!

GN to the rescue once again.

I'm hoping to get a small one - DDs already on her second as her first was too big.

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Oct-22 14:58:40

Esspee air fryer is the wrong title for it because it does not fry food, it uses hot air.

Alioop Sun 16-Oct-22 15:05:57

I have a Tower airfryer, they aren't as expensive as some, but its great. I warmed my croissants this morning in it, a couple of minutes and they were done.
I cook chips, roasties, croquettes, sausages, goujons, all sorts in it. There are so many things you can cook in them, they are so handy and cheap to run.
Get yourself a cheaper brand like mine, see how you go and then maybe later on you can splash out on one of the all singing all dancing ones.

SpringyChicken Sun 16-Oct-22 15:10:19

Greyduster

I have a Tower Air Fryer oven with shelves. It’s brilliant - I don’t know what I would do without it now. A quick wipe out with a soapy cloth after use and it’s good to go. Couldn’t be easier. Recently I’ve cooked canelloni in it, chicken parmigiana, fish pie. No end to its talents (not sure about mine?).

I have one of those too and am very pleased with it. I baked salmon en croute last week. The pastry puffed up beautifully.

SpringyChicken Sun 16-Oct-22 15:14:15

twiglet77

Can any users comment on the ease of cleaning, do they take a lot of dismantling?

The Tower models with shelves is a doddle to keep clean. Shelves can go in the dishwasher but I do them by hand. The outside of the AF stays cool.

Nannagarra Sun 16-Oct-22 15:15:19

I have this and am very happy with it. It’s the right size for two people and super easy to clean.

62Granny Sun 16-Oct-22 15:20:07

I had being toying with purchasing one for some time and walked in to Asda a back in March and they had a Tower airfryer on offer I purchased it and used it consistently all summer it was great on a lunch time for cooking small items like fish cakes/ Rissoles /sausage without putting the oven on for such a small item . But I was sorry I didn't buy a bigger model possibly with two draws so I could cook more things at the same time so I reviewed what I wanted to use it for and with the rising cost of electric I treated myself to a Ninja 9-1 which obviously has more functions than a simple airfryer. I can now Pressure cook stews/ casseroles it also Slow cooks, Saute, & Bakes/ Roast , those function that I haven't explored yet are dehydrate & yoghurt making. It all depends what you want from it but I am sure once you get one you will use it . I find the Ninja a nice size for 2-4 people. I have my smaller Tower one to my niece.

AreWeThereYet Sun 16-Oct-22 16:26:19

Apparently there are a lot of Ninja scams around at the moment, with people setting up fake websites to 'sell' from. Ninja are warning people to only buy from sites they know and trust.

LadyGracie Sun 16-Oct-22 19:52:23

I have the Ninja Dual drawer, I made toad in the hole in it today, it was beautiful. Good for scones, cakes, steaks, chops, sweet potato chips etc. etc.

martinjom Mon 17-Oct-22 06:49:45

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

wildswan16 Mon 17-Oct-22 07:50:22

Reported - again!

TopsyIrene06 Mon 17-Oct-22 08:43:28

Nannagarra. I tried last night to buy the Tower Air Fryer on line that you recommended. Totally impossible - everywhere sold out! Thanks for all the advice.

Visgir1 Mon 17-Oct-22 09:01:36

I too took the plunge, looking on John Lewis all sold out. I added my name to the "let me know when back in" section. Within days got an email to say back in stock. I bought there and then, looked back few hours later, sold out.
So, worth adding your name to the ones that take your fancy, strike as soon as the email hits. (I did via my phone so it flashed up) If you only check your emails every now and then, probably won't help?

Having fun with it though, glad I took the plunge.