Gransnet forums

Food

Lidl frozen turkeys - any good?

(37 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 02-Nov-22 11:45:18

Just that really. We are thinking of getting one but wondering what they are like. It's the large crown we are thinking of getting. Has anyone tried it?

MawtheMerrier Wed 02-Nov-22 11:49:32

Might be a shrewd move with Avian Flu.
They could be in short supply closer to Christmas.

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 12:00:21

We have had a Lidl Large Crown for the last 2 Christmases NotTooOld and been very happy with them. There are only 2 of us and there is enough meat for turkey mayo sandwiches on Boxing Day (my favourite grin)

Vito Wed 02-Nov-22 13:58:46

I ve heard from several people including those that work there, Lidl meat is the same as Mark's and Spencer

Redhead56 Wed 02-Nov-22 14:21:44

I am definitely considering getting frozen especially because of the Avian flu.

Farzanah Wed 02-Nov-22 15:23:08

I see that M&S are now selling higher welfare, slower reared birds. Are Lidl or/and Aldi doing this?

midgey Wed 02-Nov-22 15:27:07

Maw, there is no ‘could be’ about the supply, turkeys will definitely be in short supply. Luckily there is only really me that wants turkey everyone else is veggie.

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 15:29:06

The M&S announcement only mentioned chickens Farzanah, I don’t know if it applies to all their poultry products. I think you’ll have to ask the stores.

MerylStreep Wed 02-Nov-22 15:30:56

As long as you give it a long slow thaw it will be like any fresh bird.

Farzanah Wed 02-Nov-22 16:24:47

The “Higher Welfare” is mentioned on the wrapping, but haven’t seen any frozen turkeys in store yet. I’m not a vegetarian but don’t like to think of sentient beings suffering unnecessarily as some chickens and turkeys do just so I can buy cheap food. I do appreciate however that some on low budgets don’t have the luxury of choice.

Grantanow Wed 02-Nov-22 17:31:08

Are the turkeys in the Cabinet 'higher welfare' ??

Visgir1 Wed 02-Nov-22 17:32:26

Vito

I ve heard from several people including those that work there, Lidl meat is the same as Mark's and Spencer

I have been told this too.

Blossoming Wed 02-Nov-22 17:39:19

I looked at their welfare report Farzanah as I’m unable to visit any shops (and probably wouldn’t be able to read what it says on the wrapping anyway😂) and if I’ve read it right it does include turkeys, fresh and frozen.

corporate.marksandspencer.com/sites/marksandspencer/files/marks-spencer/agriculture-and-supporting/Animal_Welfare_Report_2022_V2.pdf

Farzanah Thu 03-Nov-22 10:20:30

Visgir1

Vito

I have been told this too.

Thank you for this info Blossoming and it does say that Oakham Gold Chickens are exclusive to M&S Vito so I very much doubt this to be the case.

I try to be as ethical as is possible about animal welfare when buying meat, but it can be difficult to check their suppliers with many supermarkets.
I tend to think low price can be an indicator of poorer standards but I may be wrong.

GanaAmrutha Fri 04-Nov-22 05:32:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NotTooOld Sat 05-Nov-22 17:41:03

Thanks all. I have been panicked into buying a Lidl large turkey crown, so I hope it is alright. It's taking up a lot of room in the freezer. DH and I don't eat meat so this is for visiting family. I panicked in case I could not get one later on. DH advised against also panicking about the Christmas pud so I didn't!

Lilliesmum79 Sat 05-Nov-22 21:02:09

I've used Lidls frozen turkey crowns for last 4 yrs and find them excellent. Just make sure you leave it out long enough to defrost before cooking

NotTooOld Sun 06-Nov-22 16:24:37

Thanks, Lilliesmum.

OnwardandUpward Sun 06-Nov-22 18:11:21

Nothing wrong with Lidl. We just put our turkey in the freezer yesterday.

After a bad experience with a (disgusting) fresh turkey a few years ago I prefer frozen. Also bought a Christmas pudding, Christmas cake and some other things.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Nov-22 14:42:15

OnwardandUpward - oh hell, you've got me panicking again! grin

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 22:05:51

Oh no grin Don't panic we have got AGES!

I'm not a fan of traditional Christmas foods... I prefer a gingerbread house to Christmas cake for example and I hate Christmas pudding. I don't mind mince pies though as long as they have Baileys cream on.

DaisyAlice Fri 11-Nov-22 22:48:26

How long would I need to defrost a large crown for please? I followed instructions on packaging last year and was nowhere near thawed when needed.

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:16:20

We usually get the turkey out 24 hours early and keep it somewhere cool in a bucket of brine. You can get brine recipes. It makes the meat even more tasty, tender and helps prevent it going off.

OnwardandUpward Fri 11-Nov-22 23:21:35

After buying expensive fresh turkeys that weren't that nice (bad experience of an OFF one) I have discovered that if you brine it in a nice mix (BBC food has ideas) and then slather it with butter, it will be delicious and moist.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-brine-turkey

DaisyAlice Sat 12-Nov-22 08:11:50

Thanks for the brine suggestion. I'll give that a go this year. I also agree that Lidl have a good meat and poultry range. Currently enjoying their Belly Pork joints.