Gransnet forums

Food

What is good to buy from Waitrose?

(57 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sat 03-Dec-22 22:22:13

I have been given a voucher for Waitrose ( or John Lewis) and we have decided to make a shopping trip there this week or next to buy some special treats- things we can’t get locally.
( We have a local Co-op, Aldi and good independent shops and normally get a delivery from Sainsbury’s ). I would like some recommendations of food or drink from Waitrose please.

BigBertha1 Thu 08-Dec-22 07:18:54

Waitrose have some lovely party food on offer which you can freeze. Also lovely European style spicy Xmas biscuits. Their bread is delicious. Enjoy your visit lovely shop. We have one in the next town and I try not to go more than once a month the temptation is huge.

Cougar530 Thu 08-Dec-22 10:58:35

Yes, really! It was a staff member who told me when I couldn’t find the product - olive oil I think it was. This week I had £3 off a tin of shortbread and £3 off something else - can’t remember now, but I bought neither and scanned both vouchers, and got £6 off.

SMARTARSE Thu 10-Aug-23 12:15:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Bella23 Thu 10-Aug-23 12:39:23

We no longer live near one, unfortunately. Their wine and spirit section was good. Cheese and deli counter,spices and herbs both fresh and dried. Fresh meat we bought their tomahawk[they have a different name for them] steaks and the butchers or the fish counter will suggest which sauces to match them.
I never shopped anywhere else and both Aldi and Lydl were very near. There was a very good Kosher section where you could get unusual things.

Kim19 Thu 10-Aug-23 12:58:41

W is now the only place I can source President Fresh Butter.

Redhead56 Thu 10-Aug-23 14:46:41

I was delighted to be told our closest garden centre food section was going to change to Waitrose. Having said earlier on this post not been to Waitrose since we sold our cottage on Anglesey. I went last week I was totally disappointed no fresh veg meat fish or bread. What extremely limited stock they had was packaged that can be bought anywhere. I won’t be going there again and I can’t imagine it will stay open for long.

Skye17 Thu 10-Aug-23 14:58:45

Cougar530

Yes, really! It was a staff member who told me when I couldn’t find the product - olive oil I think it was. This week I had £3 off a tin of shortbread and £3 off something else - can’t remember now, but I bought neither and scanned both vouchers, and got £6 off.

Thank you Cougar530, that is useful information.

Jazzhands Thu 10-Aug-23 15:02:55

John Lewis will deliver to Waitrose if you see something online you like from there.

Staceyann Thu 10-Aug-23 15:16:45

Jazzhands

John Lewis will deliver to Waitrose if you see something online you like from there.

That’s useful info, though I expect the OP has spent her voucher, having started the thread in Dec 22 smile

twiglet77 Thu 10-Aug-23 15:37:10

The voucher scheme is now far less generous and far less likely to work if you haven’t bought that item… they have clamped down considerably, the loyalty voucher scheme is so time consuming and clunky, and awful compared to other supermarkets.

I hate that the fresh bread is displayed uncovered, so it’s open to being coughed on, and prodded and squeezed by countless fingers, and by lunchtime it’s dry and horrid. Morrison’s bakery is much better. Also, the Duchy Organic milk isn’t homogenised so the whole milk (blue) has a glob of cream on top, which not everyone likes. Yeo Valley organic doesn’t have the creamy top.

Only their granulated sugar is British (Silver Spoon), the rest is imported. Waitrose own ice cream is nice though, Red Choice tomatoes are good, and I like their organic flour. All their potatoes sprout faster than those from other stores, I think they store them too cold. They used to stock Bart’s organic spices but now they’re only on Ocado, for M&S.

Waitrose really suffers from an unjustifiable snobbery and needs to pull their socks up!

Witzend Thu 10-Aug-23 15:43:04

Not that I buy it very often at all, but I go to Waitrose (or M&S) for British, higher-welfare pork or gammon.

westendgirl Thu 10-Aug-23 15:44:03

The Anyday kitchen equipment and also underwear are really good.
I particularly liked the full briefs, so comfortable ,soft an well fitting and am thrilled with my little kettle. I know in John Lewis they have much greater selection of Anyday things. (their own basic brand )

MerylStreep Thu 10-Aug-23 15:46:27

I think the OP might have spent her voucher by now.
She posted in Dec 2022

Witzend Thu 10-Aug-23 15:47:16

twiglet77, some people really like that top of the milk cream. Dh and his brothers apparently used to fight over it - and that was gold top (Jersey) milk!
Whereas my own attitude is more on the lines of 🤮.

25Avalon Thu 10-Aug-23 16:39:12

Rude Health cereals, especially Spelt flakes. They have NO sugar at all. Fudges biscuits are expensive but make a lovely treat.

tobyianathekid Mon 14-Aug-23 12:57:54

The Duchy range is pretty good quality. I really like their blueberries.

www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/organic_shop/duchy

tobyianathekid Tue 15-Aug-23 11:28:49

My grandson also loves their Chicken Kievs. The one with parmiagiano and truffle is our favourite when he's round.

M0nica Tue 15-Aug-23 13:26:06

Whatever takes you fancy after having a wander round.

Grantanow Thu 24-Aug-23 11:52:03

I usually avoid Duchy stuff (he's rich enough already).

Staceyann Thu 24-Aug-23 11:56:43

Our local, medium sized Waitrose used to have about 6 manned tills, and two self service checkouts. This has recently changed, leaving only one manned till, and the rest are now self service. I wasn’t impressed!

Camilla7 Wed 30-Aug-23 23:45:58

I go there for their Elsinore pickled herring and they also have a new chilled range of Kombucha drinks. Really love their own brand Greek style yogurt too, much better than Tesco.

JackyB Thu 31-Aug-23 07:04:05

MerylStreep

I think the OP might have spent her voucher by now.
*She posted in Dec 2022*

It's like banging your head against the wall isn't it?

Still, it is interesting to see what Waitrose has to offer these days. My mother went there every week and did her little bit of shopping (always the same items) and had a coffee with some friends.

Aldom Thu 31-Aug-23 07:21:54

Grantanow

I usually avoid Duchy stuff (he's rich enough already).

The Duchy shortbread biscuits are delicious. Just like homemade.

nanna8 Thu 31-Aug-23 07:46:39

As she got older, into her 80s , that was the only shop my Mum would use. She said she didn’t want to go on holidays or spend money at restaurants so she would buy the best she could get. I wish we had one here. They tried, briefly, to have one similar in the city but it wasn’t popular and didn’t pay. Meanwhile, back to Aldi ….

HelterSkelter1 Thu 31-Aug-23 08:02:18

I wonder what she bought and did she like her purchases. We should be told!!