Gransnet forums

Food

Ready steady cook

(36 Posts)
Redhead56 Fri 20-Jan-23 12:12:10

Kale is nice braised with onions and toasted almond slivers served with fish. You could make a lovely stuffed butternut squash or a Thai style curry. Mixed vegetables and barley risotto is gorgeous with meat fish or on its own.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 11:35:46

Joseanne

Nice selection there.
To get away from soups, have you ever made your own cauliflower rice or couscous? You could then chuck it in a skillet with the kale, broccoli and mushrooms like a sort of stir fry.

Good idea! I was wondering what to do with the kale.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 11:34:51

Are they still slightly crispy?

I'll try most things.

I'm off to cook the beetroot. My partner eats it with anything! I'm slightly annoyed because I bought some yesterday, so he's going to have loads of it this weekend!

Kate1949 Fri 20-Jan-23 11:33:16

Another vote for soup here. We made soup yesterday with a few potatoes, carrots and onions we had left over. We added some lentils and it was delicious.

Joseanne Fri 20-Jan-23 11:31:58

Nice selection there.
To get away from soups, have you ever made your own cauliflower rice or couscous? You could then chuck it in a skillet with the kale, broccoli and mushrooms like a sort of stir fry.

Riverwalk Fri 20-Jan-23 11:27:14

growstuff

Sounds good! Thanks!

Last week there was a surplus of lettuces, so I've had lettuce soup nearly every day for lunch. Butternut squash soup will make a nice change.

To save you from endless soup:

If you ever get those little gem lettuces - I half them lengthways, cut side down brown in butter, small amount of veg stock, handful of frozen peas, pinch of dried herbs, seasoning, then simmer for a few minutes.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 11:17:54

CraftyGranny

Lots of soups there growstuff. Have you tried curried parsnip soup? It is very nice.

I've seen a recipe for it. Would curried butternut squash soup work?

Thanks!

I think I'm going to be busy today - hope I have enough room in the freezer for all this soup.

CraftyGranny Fri 20-Jan-23 11:07:51

Lots of soups there growstuff. Have you tried curried parsnip soup? It is very nice.

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 10:57:46

Sounds good! Thanks!

Last week there was a surplus of lettuces, so I've had lettuce soup nearly every day for lunch. Butternut squash soup will make a nice change.

Riverwalk Fri 20-Jan-23 10:55:35

What a lovely array of foods!

I roast a load of root vegetables with garlic and olive oil, similar to your collection - ate some that day and the next, plus 2 portions in the freezer.

Cauliflower & broccoli cheese

Butternut squash soup

growstuff Fri 20-Jan-23 10:47:58

I've just acquired this little lot (supermarket surplus) for free from my local FoodShare scheme.

I don't eat bread but my partner does. I'll eat the rest.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do with it?