Gransnet forums

Food

Yesterday I baked a cake...

(48 Posts)
HousePlantQueen Sun 29-Jan-23 13:35:16

And today, we have had a slice each. Thankfully it is very nice, but it cost a small fortune! I followed an old recipe from one of my late DM's cookery books ( and weighed everything in pounds and ounces for authenticity!), but after buying a pound of glace cherries ( circa £5), a block of butter (£2), six eggs (£2.20), then the sugar, flour from the larder, plus 2 hours in a slow oven......it was an expensive cake.

Calendargirl Sun 29-Jan-23 13:48:50

A pound of glacé cherries? 6 eggs? A block of butter?

If you used them all in one cake, sounds very decadent but yummy.

HousePlantQueen Sun 29-Jan-23 14:02:08

I too was astonished at the quantities, and also that there was no raising agent, just plain flour, plus 2 oz of self raising. Having said that, it is a lovely cake, will be enjoyed over the week, but perhaps won't be made again for a while! I have never put that many eggs in a cake before.

Lizbethann55 Sun 29-Jan-23 14:05:06

I made a banana cake yesterday as I had some very mushy bananas. Not too many ingredients, but it sank. Cakes can be bought so cheaply now, I do wonder what manufacturers put in them to keep costs so low

HousePlantQueen Sun 29-Jan-23 14:07:49

Yes, it does make you think. I appreciate the economies of scale will make ingredients cheaper, but I don't have to package, transport and market my cake. I am in a bit of a baking phase at the moment, it must be the weather. Last week I too used some squishy bananas, and made Paul Hollywood's banana loaf with walnuts. It doesn't sink!

rubysong Sun 29-Jan-23 14:42:50

My friend worked out that the ingredients for the (not huge) Christmas cake she made cost her £30. I bought one (first time ever) for less than £10 and it was very good.

Rapchiks Fri 03-Feb-23 14:13:06

I love cakes so much)))

Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 14:23:40

Oh my, so many ££ for a fancy cake. Enjoyable dessert, for sure!

Walnut torten I bake for our family includes eggs, ground nuts, bread crumbs, sugar. Cost isn't nearly as dear to glace cherries, butter.

Blondiescot Fri 03-Feb-23 15:13:09

A few years back, my son decided he would make the dessert for Christmas dinner - a chocolate orange cake. We duly traipsed round the supermarket and bought all the ingredients (including a new cake tin). The recipe involved boiling a whole orange (peel and all) then liquidising it and mixing with the cake batter. It ended up a lovely cake, but I dread to think how much it cost. I could probably have bought half-a-dozen supermarket cakes (or maybe even more)! But home baking is always nicer - and as has been said, at least you know what's in it.

Baggs Fri 03-Feb-23 15:39:00

Please can we have the recipe, HPQ?

Baggs Fri 03-Feb-23 15:39:36

It sounds very suitable for a special occasion.

Shelflife Fri 03-Feb-23 16:22:21

Yes, may we please have the recipe?

1987H2001M2002Inanny Fri 03-Feb-23 16:28:53

Anyone tried Porter cake? Hubbie makes it....the bottle of porter is some for the cake and some for him.It must be thirsty work all that baking!!

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Feb-23 16:34:29

Lizbethann55

I made a banana cake yesterday as I had some very mushy bananas. Not too many ingredients, but it sank. Cakes can be bought so cheaply now, I do wonder what manufacturers put in them to keep costs so low

I followed Nigella's banana cake recipe and that one doesn't sink.

Funny you should mention cake, I have 3 rather dark bananas 🤔

Yours sounds lovely, HousePlantQueen

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Feb-23 17:22:38

Regarding cake ingredients and cost..
We are (most of us) eating too many Ultra Processed Foods
That's why our food can be cheaper than "real" food ought to be.

www.independent.co.uk/news/health/ultra-processed-foods-list-cancer-risk-b2274166.html

I found the paper this is based on and it's quite an eye opener.
Very little research into UPFs so this study is interesting.

Ziplok Fri 03-Feb-23 17:33:13

The thing is, though, that a lot of the ingredients you buy to make your one cake are not all used at once in that one cake - the butter, cherries, flour etc will only be partly used for that particular cake, there will be some left which can be used, therefore, for additional yummy home bakes. So, the initial outlay might seem high, but once costed out, not quite so high as it at first seems. Plus, the taste of home bakes is generally far superior to shop bought.

Ziplok Fri 03-Feb-23 17:40:41

Actually HouseplantQueen, reading your post again, did the recipe say it needed a pound of glacé cherries, a full block of butter and 6 eggs? That seems an awful lot. Did it make a big cake? 😊

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 03-Feb-23 17:47:25

I love baking. In fact I whipped up a dozen ginger and rum muffins this morning. I will top them with frosting made from lemon juice and icing sugar.

HousePlantQueen Fri 03-Feb-23 17:55:54

I will post the recipe for all who are interested. It is delicious 😋. It does make me think about the quality of the ingredients in manufactured cakes, and appreciate the cost of having a slice of decent cake when out for a ☕️

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-23 17:59:31

But how many additives were in the bought cakes, emulsifiers chemicals to keep it moist, stop it going mouldy, extend its shelf life.

In fact a bought cake is a classic example of the Ultra Processed Foods, we are told contribute to obesity and other health problems.

So eat your home made cakes, knowing they are expensive, but also that they are good for your health (compared with the shop bought alternative)

Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 18:20:21

NotSpaghetti

Regarding cake ingredients and cost..
We are (most of us) eating too many Ultra Processed Foods
That's why our food can be cheaper than "real" food ought to be.

www.independent.co.uk/news/health/ultra-processed-foods-list-cancer-risk-b2274166.html

I found the paper this is based on and it's quite an eye opener.
Very little research into UPFs so this study is interesting.

Interesting link.

However, we really don't eat those foods, do we?

Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 18:22:46

Callistemon21

Lizbethann55

I followed Nigella's banana cake recipe and that one doesn't sink.

Funny you should mention cake, I have 3 rather dark bananas 🤔

Yours sounds lovely, HousePlantQueen

Dark bananas are the best! I make biscuits, weekly, for our GC.

Healthy food, approved by their mums.

Baggs Fri 03-Feb-23 20:05:28

I found a recipe from Newfound;and that used 1lb of glace cherries. It only used three eggs though.

Link: www.rockrecipes.com/newfoundland-cherry-cake/

Oreo Fri 03-Feb-23 21:36:54

HousePlantQueen

I too was astonished at the quantities, and also that there was no raising agent, just plain flour, plus 2 oz of self raising. Having said that, it is a lovely cake, will be enjoyed over the week, but perhaps won't be made again for a while! I have never put that many eggs in a cake before.

It sounds great!
I only use Stork, the soft tub kind, which makes a nice cake, but I do use loads of eggs, 6 or 7. They’ll raise the cake and make it yummy.Plain flour is needed cos of the fruit, to stop all the cherries from sinking.

nadateturbe Fri 03-Feb-23 21:46:23

Exactly Monica.