Gransnet forums

Food

Oh yes, we have no tomatoes !

(402 Posts)
Mazgg Sat 18-Feb-23 18:12:04

When I placed my online order last week I couldn't get any tomatoes. Today I visited my local supermarket which usually have a large selection of tomatoes only to find all the shelves bare. Staff were unable to offer an explanation. Have I missed something?

mokryna Fri 10-Mar-23 12:48:43

Jaxjacky

Good old gilet jeunes mokryna!
No eggs for my online Tesco order later this week, should’ve got some at the farm shop yesterday.

No. I am losing work/pay now. 😢

Mamardoit Fri 10-Mar-23 12:08:15

Yes it was all blown out of proportion. Ditto the loo roll shortage in lock down and the HGV driver shortage. Once they got through the testing back log everything soon got back to normal. There are plenty of lorries on the road now. Admittedly less from the continent but still plenty of HGVs on the motorways. This 'shortage' lasted one week in shops here. Even when asda limited cucumbers the limit was three. If anyone really wanted more they could stick the shopping in the car an nip back in again. Even when I had six children at home we never needed three cucs.

Mollygo Tue 07-Mar-23 21:55:35

MawtheMerrier

If you MUST shop at Harrods my dear!

No chance! Though I did by a carrier from there once when we visited London!

MawtheMerrier Tue 07-Mar-23 20:58:47

If you MUST shop at Harrods my dear!

Mollygo Tue 07-Mar-23 20:56:48

Prices have gone up near us-but this is ridiculous!

Oreo Tue 07-Mar-23 20:23:27

Never been a shortage of any salad stuff where I live.It’s all a bit weird really and blown out of proportion like loads of other things are.😄

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Mar-23 19:32:46

Good old gilet jeunes mokryna!
No eggs for my online Tesco order later this week, should’ve got some at the farm shop yesterday.

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 18:56:42

😂😂😂maddyone of course.
Yes and seems it might get more serious because tankers have been blocked leaving the refineries.

maddyone Tue 07-Mar-23 18:52:36

I couldn’t buy any eggs today. Maybe the hens are on strike 🐓

maddyone Tue 07-Mar-23 18:51:08

Retirement at 64? Is that in France mokryna?

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 18:28:55

Another problem for food in the next year is water Certain farmers have already been told that they will not be allowed to take water from the rivers.
(Moreover, certain villages have stopped building plans for new houses, as there is not enough water to support the people already living there.)

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 18:11:15

Big problems where I live for petrol. Next time I pull the car out it has to be for a station that definitely has some. People filled up after coming back off holiday, I didn’t plan, my fault.
Just problems with the strikes, some classes closed, only one in five trains working etc. and tomorrow protest marches on Women’s Day all because of moving the retirement age to 64. I still worked this afternoon as did many others but then I am retired. Hope it blows over before the weekend, fingers crossed.

Joseanne Tue 07-Mar-23 17:48:36

Oh no mokryna. I read today in Ouest France about the petrol shortages, especially around Le Mans. And the strikes.
There must be a way to make motor fuel out of all your tomatoes there!

mokryna Tue 07-Mar-23 16:33:19

But I don’t have any petrol. 😞

Callistemon21 Mon 06-Mar-23 22:09:48

There were lots of tomatoes and salad vegetables in Tesco today.

We didn't buy any, I'm really not keen on salad when the weather's cold.

We bought a swede, though 😀
And other vegetables

ExDancer Mon 06-Mar-23 17:10:00

Terrible weather, both here and in Spain and Morocco or anywhere toms are grown under glass or polytunnels. The price of electricity has driven many growers out of business's.
But you'll all live - when I was a child in the 1940s we didn't expect to find tomatoes in the shops at all during winter.
Do you really need them?

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Mar-23 22:23:09

At least it was more about farming this week and not about how to spend leisure time in the countryside.

Norah Sun 05-Mar-23 20:18:51

Joseanne

Did anyone see Countryfile this evening? They were in the Fens which apparently supplies 7% of the country with food. They spoke about the current salad shortage and the farmer said it is all down to energy costs, so other methods will need to be found in future.

The farmer was correct. Costs are problems to shortages.

Joseanne Sun 05-Mar-23 20:02:19

Did anyone see Countryfile this evening? They were in the Fens which apparently supplies 7% of the country with food. They spoke about the current salad shortage and the farmer said it is all down to energy costs, so other methods will need to be found in future.

Jaxjacky Wed 01-Mar-23 11:23:36

Just saw this 🙂

maddyone Tue 28-Feb-23 12:10:29

…the media are whipping up a storm in a teacup.

Quite GrannyGravy, along with quite a few Gransnetters.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:51:14

Whitewavemark2

gg13

But the point is what monica has found and what is clear from the evidence that ALL the markets etc abroad are stuffed full of salad vegetables as well as everything else.

That is not true of the U.K.

There are a number of reasons for this. Primarily I think it is the cost of production and many growers have decide to call it a day over trying to heat their greenhouses over the winter, because they know that the over-mighty supermarkets will not pay them the proper rate. However, undoubtedly Brexit has contributed to the issue, as there is untold anecdotal evidence that hauliers are preferring not to come to the U.K. because of the bureaucratic mess that they find adds hours to their time. The other issue of course is that the EU is much better placed and has systems to ensure that produce is supplied throughout the market and no member goes without.

But the point is what monica has found and what is clear from the evidence that ALL the markets etc abroad are stuffed full of salad vegetables as well as everything else

But more expensive than what we have come to expect to pay in the UK.

I agree, and production costs have gone up more here than esewhere

That is a big part of the problem.
Our supermarkets keep driving down prices and obviously growers are going to sell to those willing to pay more and yes, less in the way of fuel costs too.

We could be producing more of our own food even at this time of year but the growers need some government help with fuel prices at the moment. The supermarkets need to stop driving down prices before they put even more farmers out of business in the competition to be the cheapest - at the same time as trying to make £billions of profits.

Spanish greenhouses have to be heated in winter too!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:42:22

It may be a storm in a teacup but the point stands.

Supplies are more difficult (for lots of things) in the U.K. than the EU.

The bureaucratic nonsense saw to that.

Even Sunak is waxing lyrical over the green lane and how much easier it will be for NI to import from the mainland, saying that there will no longer be supply issues.

Exactly the same applies to the U.K. and the EU

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:16:08

Whitewavemark2

gg13

But the point is what monica has found and what is clear from the evidence that ALL the markets etc abroad are stuffed full of salad vegetables as well as everything else.

There are a number of reasons for this. Primarily I think it is the cost of production and many growers have decide to call it a day over trying to heat their greenhouses over the winter, because they know that the over-mighty supermarkets will not pay them the proper rate. However, undoubtedly Brexit has contributed to the issue, as there is untold anecdotal evidence that hauliers are preferring not to come to the U.K. because of the bureaucratic mess that they find adds hours to their time. The other issue of course is that the EU is much better placed and has systems to ensure that produce is supplied throughout the market and no member goes without.

I can assure you that our Farm Shop (2 minutes in car) and the independent grocers in my road along with Aldi (10 minutes walk) have plentiful supply of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers also lettuces of different varieties.

If the supermarkets hadn’t ground the producers down to minimal prices maybe we would have more home grown produce on all supermarket shelves.

Anyone would think that the U.K. supermarkets were devoid of fresh produce they are not, some regional shortages maybe.

Once again the media are whipping up a storm in a teacup

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:06:38

gg13