Gransnet forums

Food

Corned beef Tins

(32 Posts)
62Granny Mon 27-Feb-23 17:41:05

Why is corned beef still put in these stupid shaped tins with a key? When practically all other tins have a ring pull.
I have just tried to open a tin and the metal tab the key goes on has gone upwards instead of around the tin , I have tried using a can opener but have been unsuccessful in getting the meat out and have resorted to opening a second tin( luckily I had a spare).
I have emailed the company, Prince's , to ask for some advise on getting a refund , I don't think I should just take it back to the supermarket as it isn't their fault.
Possibly an old fashioned tin opener that my mum used to have would open it but I don't have one , only the type you clamp on

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Mar-23 23:13:17

Patsy70

Corned beef hash, with mashed or diced potatoes, cabbage & onions is tasty. We only have it occasionally, though.

DH loves it. I don't mind it.
I've not tried it with cabbage, must do that, we throw in frozen peas for speed when we're in a rush.

I use a packet or two as yes, it is leaner.

25Avalon Sat 04-Mar-23 22:25:52

I hate corned beef. Sainsburys pack their chopped ham in similar tins with a key. It’s a trip down memory Lane. If you turn it very carefully you are usually open it successfully but sometimes it snaps off half way round leaving jagged edges. Turning it upside down and trying to use a can opener can be the very devil as it has a steep ridge. Sometimes I resort to stabbing it with a sharp knife risking injury!

Cabbie21 Sat 04-Mar-23 22:12:05

I find most ring pulls very hard work. I often have to abandon the process and dig the contents out of the tin with the lid half opened. Tuna, tinned fruit, sardines…

MayBee70 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:59:27

lixy

Agree that the key-rolling thing is all rather hit and miss. Do like corned beef hash though, so worth the effort.
I'm glad tinned sardines don't have the roll-up top opening method any more.

Not sure about that. I’m always in fear of slicing off my finger using the ring pull.

MayBee70 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:58:12

Riverwalk

That strange tin that corned beef comes in, rather like Fray Bentos pies, no other foods are packaged this way.

All a bit perverse!

I bought a Fray Bentos pie: hadn’t had one for years and really fancied one but couldn’t open the tin. Gave up in the end.

lixy Sat 04-Mar-23 21:53:14

Agree that the key-rolling thing is all rather hit and miss. Do like corned beef hash though, so worth the effort.
I'm glad tinned sardines don't have the roll-up top opening method any more.

Marthjolly1 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:46:42

Just been reminded how good corned beef hash is with lots of onions and left over boiled spuds. It's been so long since I last made this for tea but will do tomorrow. The only time I like a splash of brown sauce is on corned beef hash.

Allsorts Sat 04-Mar-23 21:13:16

I love corned beef hash but dread opening the tin, I have a scar on my hand where I had to have stitches, all fighting to open the lid once the key broke half way round.

Cs783 Wed 01-Mar-23 09:19:49

Regularly an ‘urgent’ need by my nearest food bank…

Patsy70 Wed 01-Mar-23 09:03:52

Corned beef hash, with mashed or diced potatoes, cabbage & onions is tasty. We only have it occasionally, though.

Scribbles Wed 01-Mar-23 08:36:27

Riverwalk

Is it a man thing to eat corned beef? I don't know any woman who eats the stuff!

I'm female and I love corned beef!

Blondiescot Wed 01-Mar-23 08:30:02

I don't buy it very often either - usually when I get a notion for corned beef hash! But yes, corned beef with pickle on a sandwich is nice! We've been clearing out cupboards at my in-laws' house and came across a couple of tins, so that could well be on the cards.

Llamedos13 Wed 01-Mar-23 03:29:28

Mushed up with onions makes a tasty sandwich once you dig it out of that silly tin.

Dickens Wed 01-Mar-23 00:16:01

ExperiencedNotOld

I find canned corned beef very greasy. I prefer ready sliced from the cold meats section. Oh, a corned beef and pickle sandwich on fresh white bread….

Agree - the canned beef is very greasy.

I think it is 'PRINCES' who now do a very lean corned beef with 'reduced fat', and it is quite good in fact. Very dense. Worth trying.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Feb-23 21:10:45

It's a staple in our foodbank parcels. The little key thingy is invariably missing.

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Feb-23 20:36:41

We only buy it about twice a year to make corned beef and potato pie/pasties, one of Mr As favs. There is a definite knack to opening the tin and every now and again I have to resort to the tin opener.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 28-Feb-23 20:12:42

I find canned corned beef very greasy. I prefer ready sliced from the cold meats section. Oh, a corned beef and pickle sandwich on fresh white bread….

Patsy70 Tue 28-Feb-23 18:54:36

I think the same, 62Granny each time I struggle with the key, and often resort to a tin opener, both ends. Corned beef with bubble & squeak and pickles is quite tasty imho, also in a sandwich, and I do have quite sophisticated tastes! 😂

Riverwalk Tue 28-Feb-23 18:50:23

That strange tin that corned beef comes in, rather like Fray Bentos pies, no other foods are packaged this way.

All a bit perverse!

Riverwalk Tue 28-Feb-23 18:47:33

Is it a man thing to eat corned beef? I don't know any woman who eats the stuff!

62Granny Tue 28-Feb-23 17:50:13

Up date on my can, I bought an old fashioned can opener, the butterfly style and have managed to get the meat out hurrah. I did give my finger a little nick on the sharp side that the key had opened, luckily a plaster on it done the trick and the can got wrapped in a clean tea towel while I sorted out opening both ends. No reply to my Email though! Won't bother to follow it up now. But not good customer service.

LadyGracie Mon 27-Feb-23 22:16:50

I last had a tin of corned beef in September 1972, I have the scar on the middle finger of my right hand as a memento. Stitches in your finger hurt like hell.

Enidd Mon 27-Feb-23 21:50:17

Fiddly things yes I agree.

62Granny Mon 27-Feb-23 21:47:00

As I said I tried to use my can opener but it can't seem to penetrate the ridge of the can , therefore not able to get it out that way, I am very conscious of these tins being very sharp so don't want a slip and cut fingers.😲 will try and get an old fashioned tin opener tomorrow, for now I have wrapped in foil and put in the fridge I hate wasting food.

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Feb-23 18:15:07

I also do the same as Blondiescot.