Gransnet forums

Food

Corned beef Tins

(31 Posts)
62Granny Mon 27-Feb-23 17:41:05

Why is corned beef still put in these stupid shaped tins with a key? When practically all other tins have a ring pull.
I have just tried to open a tin and the metal tab the key goes on has gone upwards instead of around the tin , I have tried using a can opener but have been unsuccessful in getting the meat out and have resorted to opening a second tin( luckily I had a spare).
I have emailed the company, Prince's , to ask for some advise on getting a refund , I don't think I should just take it back to the supermarket as it isn't their fault.
Possibly an old fashioned tin opener that my mum used to have would open it but I don't have one , only the type you clamp on

Blondiescot Mon 27-Feb-23 17:42:36

I just open both ends with an ordinary can opener and then push it out of the wider end.

crazyH Mon 27-Feb-23 17:44:11

Yes, I do the same as Blondiescot

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Feb-23 18:00:56

I don’t have problems with them. Perhaps you should get a cheap ordinary tin opener like I have. Ring pulls sometimes break off too. I certainly wouldn’t throw a tin of perfectly good corned beef (or any other food) away, and it wouldn’t occur to me to complain and ask for a refund.

Mollygo Mon 27-Feb-23 18:08:07

If the jet works, I use it. If it doesn’t then I do the same as Blondiescot.

Mollygo Mon 27-Feb-23 18:08:31

Jet=key!

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Feb-23 18:15:07

I also do the same as Blondiescot.

62Granny Mon 27-Feb-23 21:47:00

As I said I tried to use my can opener but it can't seem to penetrate the ridge of the can , therefore not able to get it out that way, I am very conscious of these tins being very sharp so don't want a slip and cut fingers.😲 will try and get an old fashioned tin opener tomorrow, for now I have wrapped in foil and put in the fridge I hate wasting food.

Enidd Mon 27-Feb-23 21:50:17

Fiddly things yes I agree.

LadyGracie Mon 27-Feb-23 22:16:50

I last had a tin of corned beef in September 1972, I have the scar on the middle finger of my right hand as a memento. Stitches in your finger hurt like hell.

62Granny Tue 28-Feb-23 17:50:13

Up date on my can, I bought an old fashioned can opener, the butterfly style and have managed to get the meat out hurrah. I did give my finger a little nick on the sharp side that the key had opened, luckily a plaster on it done the trick and the can got wrapped in a clean tea towel while I sorted out opening both ends. No reply to my Email though! Won't bother to follow it up now. But not good customer service.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Feb-23 18:47:33

Is it a man thing to eat corned beef? I don't know any woman who eats the stuff!

Riverwalk Tue 28-Feb-23 18:50:23

That strange tin that corned beef comes in, rather like Fray Bentos pies, no other foods are packaged this way.

All a bit perverse!

Patsy70 Tue 28-Feb-23 18:54:36

I think the same, 62Granny each time I struggle with the key, and often resort to a tin opener, both ends. Corned beef with bubble & squeak and pickles is quite tasty imho, also in a sandwich, and I do have quite sophisticated tastes! 😂

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 28-Feb-23 20:12:42

I find canned corned beef very greasy. I prefer ready sliced from the cold meats section. Oh, a corned beef and pickle sandwich on fresh white bread….

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Feb-23 20:36:41

We only buy it about twice a year to make corned beef and potato pie/pasties, one of Mr As favs. There is a definite knack to opening the tin and every now and again I have to resort to the tin opener.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 28-Feb-23 21:10:45

It's a staple in our foodbank parcels. The little key thingy is invariably missing.

Dickens Wed 01-Mar-23 00:16:01

ExperiencedNotOld

I find canned corned beef very greasy. I prefer ready sliced from the cold meats section. Oh, a corned beef and pickle sandwich on fresh white bread….

Agree - the canned beef is very greasy.

I think it is 'PRINCES' who now do a very lean corned beef with 'reduced fat', and it is quite good in fact. Very dense. Worth trying.

Llamedos13 Wed 01-Mar-23 03:29:28

Mushed up with onions makes a tasty sandwich once you dig it out of that silly tin.

Blondiescot Wed 01-Mar-23 08:30:02

I don't buy it very often either - usually when I get a notion for corned beef hash! But yes, corned beef with pickle on a sandwich is nice! We've been clearing out cupboards at my in-laws' house and came across a couple of tins, so that could well be on the cards.

Scribbles Wed 01-Mar-23 08:36:27

Riverwalk

Is it a man thing to eat corned beef? I don't know any woman who eats the stuff!

I'm female and I love corned beef!

Patsy70 Wed 01-Mar-23 09:03:52

Corned beef hash, with mashed or diced potatoes, cabbage & onions is tasty. We only have it occasionally, though.

Cs783 Wed 01-Mar-23 09:19:49

Regularly an ‘urgent’ need by my nearest food bank…

Allsorts Sat 04-Mar-23 21:13:16

I love corned beef hash but dread opening the tin, I have a scar on my hand where I had to have stitches, all fighting to open the lid once the key broke half way round.

Marthjolly1 Sat 04-Mar-23 21:46:42

Just been reminded how good corned beef hash is with lots of onions and left over boiled spuds. It's been so long since I last made this for tea but will do tomorrow. The only time I like a splash of brown sauce is on corned beef hash.